Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there! A while ago I asked about the coolant leaking into the oil again, after repairing the water pump and changing the o-rings inside the front case. As there is no any serious leaking from the weep hole on the pump, I was adviced to check up the o-rings again. At the time I didn't suspect the head gaskets as I didn't have the obvious symptoms of them to be blown. When the engine is cold, for example after the bike was parked over the night, when start the engine there is a serious amount of the blue smoke from both the exausts. However, when it heats up, after a few minutes of idling, the smoke racilyreduces and after a few kilometers of riding the smoke totally disappears so nothing visible comes out from the exausts. A long time ago I was told on this forum that the blue smoke is normal for these engines after starting, especially if the bike was parked on its side stand (my center stand is broken so the bike is always parked on the side stand), so I wasn't worried about that as there is no any visible smoke when the engine heats up.

However, in last few days, I also noticed some white smoke while the engine is cold.Maybe the smoke was therebefore as well, but I hadn'tpay my attention to it.The smoke is first blue, then it becomes white. It is from both the exausts, but more from the left hand one, where it is permanent, while on the right hand one it is intermittent. And yes, it smells kinda funny. But, that smoke also totally disappears after a while (say it 10-15 minsor a fewkilometers). Now the radiator: Iunscrewed the reserve tank cap and pulled it out of the tank together with the hose that is attached on its bottom. Then took off the radiator cap and waited until some collant that remained in the hose (that goes up to the reserve tank) poured out, so the level of coolant inside the radiator remained still. Then I started the engine (which was cold) and after a few minuts of idling the collant level in the radiator started raising, until the coolant started pouring out. The engine and the coolant were still cold. I put the rad. cap back and, as the reservetank cap with its hosewas out, I pluged it up with my finger for a few seconds. After removing the finger,someair would blow out under the pressure (not high, butnoticable).Thatremained happening until all the air came out of the hose and then the coolant started scattering out on the same way. The hose was above the radiator all the time, so there had to be some pressure to push that air/coolant up the hose. Now, I don't know if the water pump or something could make that pressure or it is a symptom of the blown head gasket? Anyway, there is no any extra clean spark plug, they all look pretty same, but there is the noticable coolant leaking into the oil. What do you say,couldbetheblown head gasket(s) or not? I just wanted to determine this before removing the front cover again to recheck the o-rings.

Thanks a lot! Alex

P.S. Today the head gasket on my car had blown during the ride. The engine suddenly started loosing the power and a huge amount of white smoke appeared from the exaust. I had to left the car there (40 kilometers away) and to come home with the bus. One more problem to be solved. What a contingency!:?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If you have a blown head gasket a couple of clues should appear..steam cleaned plugs(s), white sweet smelling exhaust and bubbles consistent in the over flow reservoir once the engine is hot.

Water in the oil oil seal/water pump issue. Water getting into the cylinder from a head gasket should be vaporized unless it's really blown out in a big way. Or dripping in after a run while the engine is still hot and the water is under pressure and being forced out into the cylinder while the bike is not running..again has to be a big blow out..at least that's what I think...but I am no GURU.

Also water in oil from the water pump system could be from water getting past the oil seal on the back of the pump shaft and/or the one big o ring on the back of the pump.

PS put a 5/8" piece of wood under the side stand and it will keep the bike almost straight up..turn the wheel toward the stand to keep pressure on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Normal blue smoke on start up should go away in a minute or less.

The coolant level rising in the radiator as the bike warms up is normal. As the coolant gets hot it expands and that is why there is an expansion tank. As it gets hot the level in the tank will rise and as the bike cools at will be slowly sucked back into the Radiator. So what you describe about the pressure in the hose is perfectly normal.

Like RB Said inspect your plugs and keep a close eye on your coolant for oil and your oil for coolant cross contamination.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OK, thanks chaps! ThenI will probably have to deal with theo-rings and the water pumpagain as there is a noticable raising of the engine oil level. That is still betterthan the blown head gaskets though.

By the way, which petrol is best to use, leaded or unleaded? Over here we have only two avaliablekinds of petrol - leaded and unleaded, both are premium and have the octane number 95. In the owner's manual they say that should use the "low leaded" petrol, which I regarded as the "leaded" so used that one. But I read somewhere in the Randakk's site that they use unleaded stuff, so I started wondering.

Thanks for help! Alex

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Here in the US Unleaded is the standard. I am not sure what method is used to determine your octane levels but our regular unleaded is rated at 87 octane. I know there are different methods.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Just fixed my blown head gaskets and the way I could tell they were bad was with the bike on the stand and the false tank and radiator cap off when the rpm's increased it would burp some coolant out of the radiator/ excessive pressure in coolant system due to blown head gaskets was to blame.

There is a coolant pressure tester that goes on in place of the radiator cap and if the needle is not steady when bike is runningit is most likely the head gaskets pushing air in the coolant

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

mnwingusa, I mustsay that the symtomsyou described aresimilar to mine.you remembered me that I forgot to mention the rpms. The coolant pouring out of my radiator (with the reserve tank hose out and the cap removed) would also increase when the engine rpms are increased (when open the throttle) even while the engine is still cold.

RB and Whiskerfish both told that it is probably not a blown gasket, so I'm pretty sure that theywere right, but worth it to try checking the cooling system from bubbles once again.

It's not so easy for me to check is there any bubbles inside the reserve tank as it is very mat when viewed from outside (probably the aging) so even the coolant level is barely visible. I'll try with the cap lifted a little bit and the hose still inside the coolant, so willlook from above.

And Whiskerfish,thanks for the petrol informations! Maybe I should switch to the unleaded?

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I recently had white smoke coming from one side on my 1100. I suspected that the head gasket was blown on that side. I pulled the plugs and stuffed a strip of white cloth into each cylinder. A little while later I pulled them out and could see coolant on one of the strips.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

You may want to pull your false tank off and you will get a better look at you coolant resivior. Use a good flashlight and shine it against the side of the resivior, that will let you brighten it up a bit, so to speak.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for advices, tonight I'm going for a trip and when come back home I'll try your methods!

Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.