Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hmm. Well, I got the other rear brake piston out. Read somewhere the suggestion to hook up the front master cylinder to it and yep, pumped it right out. I've put them both on my lathe and polished - still a few very small pits but these for a '78 rear are made from unobtainium, I think. I have a rebuild kit on hand for both front and rear master cylinders now, plus a rear caliper kit. The front calipers seemed real good when I brought the bike home five years ago. The fluid in them looked pretty good. I'll flush them thoroughly and rebuild the front master.

Rolled her outside today and tried starting. Got a little rumble, but before I could go much further the starter quit again. Guess a charged battery won't do it this time - so I've mounted the wheels and will have the wife help steady the bike while I lift under the center cross member with a floor jack and pull the furniture dolly out from under it. I've already re-mounted the kick stand. Since I haven't mounted mufflers yet it will be easy to drop that header and pull the starter. Yep, um hm. Easy. Well, at least I have all of the wiring finished now - even the horns!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, The starter is out, cleaned up, and back in. Took about an hour once the wife helped me take the bike off the furniture dolly. Left header, shifter, cable, 2 bolts and out. Three screws and apart. One more screw and the brush assembly is free. Commutator looked awful - not identifiable as copper and very pitted. Chucked it in the lathe and spun it with 500 followed by 1200 then 7000 grit using isopropyl as a flushing fluid. Looks nice now. cleaned it up, greased the gearbox (barely had a touch of lithium grease in it) and assembled. Spins nice. Bolted back in and click click from solenoid. Straight shot with a jumper cable and the engine spins right over, so solenoid is on order. Not really surprised. Electrics don't like being under water.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pulled the tach apart and lubed with silicone spray that I once used o n RC helicopters. It is very thin and very slick, and thins other lubricants it mixes with. The tach had been very sluggish and was obviously not indicating correctly. I think I have it fixed now. Pulling that apart was tedious, but putting it back together wasn't that hard. I have to admit that I practiced first on an old speedometer that I have and it was much harder the first time. After testing the tach with my battery drill and remounting it, I mounted up the mufflers that I bought for the bike. I used fiberglass cloth that I doped with high temp copper RTV for the gasket between the muffler and header end. For a clamp I used the clamp that was on the original Honda muffler. Pictures to come after I mount the saddle (which I won't get until next week).

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got her out and did a quick ride up and down the road. Still way out of tune, doesn't like to be bogged (my other 'wings loved it) and the right front brake is dragging bad. Never got it past 2nd, but shifting was smooth that far. Brakes were very weak, but starting to bed in already. Worst was the front drag which even makes it hard to move around in the garage, so I'll pull that caliper tomorrow and see if I can free it up. I made sure the return hole was open when I rebuilt the master, and it is just that right caliper. I'm sure there is more carb balancing to do, but I was pretty pleased. It idles well, which is a nice thing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Really not happy with the shelter paint. The lower side covers should be OK once polished out, but the lacquer is too soft still for that. I just hung one side on to take a photo. The shelter covers on both sides have artifacts that I believe are from underlying enamel that was exposed by sanding through the primer (that somehow avoids messing up the enamel even though the primer is lacquer-based). Plans are presently to not sand all of the paint off, but rather scuff it and hit it with etching primer once it hardens, then color. I think I'll wait longer between color coats - maybe I rushed it this time. I'll let the color set, sand out the orange peal, then do the clear coat with greater time between coats on it, too. I love the color and it worked great on the fenders that were sanded-down chrome and steel. I'm sure it was the original Honda enamel that is fighting me. I had to sand off or completely cover with etching primer for the lower sides.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This afternoon I finished bleeding the front brakes (necessary after replacing the upper front brake line). I installed a new boot on the right front caliper piston. The I pulled the speedometer and opened it so that I could lubricate the pointer shaft with some very thin silicone oil, thinning and flushing the thickened stuff that was in it. Then re-sealed and installed the speedometer. I think it is safe to start taking longer rides on it, if the weather will cooperate!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The weather has really been poor for riding - either steamy 90's or raining or wet roads. I am not about to take these 13 year-old hard tires on wet roads. So, I've been finishing up the trailer. Loaded her up and did a couple mile loop around tight turns, railroad tracks, etc. Seems to ride fine, now. Shelter sides on, but lower side covers off because the straps would rub them. They'll ride in the back seat of the truck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So, new Duro 918s mounted, brakes bled more and lower front brake hoses replaced. Checked compression again and the left bank was ~120 psi, right bank 180. But the left was the good bank! Pulled th left belt cover and sure enough, I had put the belt one tooth off. Corrected that (and valve adjustment, timing, carb sync, and now she runs much differently! Quieter, smoother, better pull through lower rpms. Hopefully the mileage will improve now, too.

Anyone going to WingDing in Knoxville this year? Check out the Hunley in Pistol Pete's booth! It will be there with some awesome early 'wings along with serial number 2!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
An update and a few photos. Most mechanical issues have bern corrected except for #2 carb, which is still way over-rich and fouling the plug. I'll pull the rack this fall/winter when the side covers are off for repainting. I probably mixed up jets or something. The engine still runs great, but gets terrible fuel mileage. Anyway, I've ridden it a couple hundred miles, and entered it in a coupl local car & bike shows. It has been a lot of fun talking to people about it and meeting new folks.

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
Lookin' good.

·
Administrator
57,354 Posts
Looking very good, and the accouterments that help show it off, are definitely looking good :)

that is a neat bike stand with the ice cooler.
is it fixed to hinge up when you go for a ride, or just there to keep things purty.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Actually, the wife and daughter brought me the stand and cooler, went shopping, then picked them up on the way home. The stand really helps working on it as I ground the center stand mount off the frame years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hunley update time. She's been resting quietly in the "family room" side of the basement for over a month. Today I backed her outside, fired her up and turned off the petcock to run as much fuel as possible out of the system. When she finally died, disconnected all fuel lines and drained the float bowls. Topped of the tank with treated, real 100% gasoline. After airing out a while, rolled her into the garage and removed the carbs for a winter servicing. She'll go back into the family room tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I just love it when the guilty party(s) are a little obvious. I had planned to put the carb work on the Hunley off until winter, but I finished taking the deck off of the John Deere, scraping the year's buildup from under and pressure washing it and putting it away. Then mounted the blade carrier, snow blade, and chains to ward off bad snows. Not having parts on hand to go forward on the 750, I moved crap around in the garage in preparation for carb work. Rack all set up and ready for disection, I strolled up to check the mail where of course I found brake pistons, tach cable, speedometer cable all for the 750 and the new timing gear for the motor on my little lathe (it may be cheap Chinese tool, but very handy).

So, I thought at least pull the #2 slide cover, slide, and float bowl. The needle looked fine, but I wanted to compare it to another so I pulled #1 (which appears to be great). #2 was a couple mm longer, so I pulled both needles and squinted real hard to read the numbers. Different, of course. Looked in my carb box and sure enough I had one of the originals in it so it was cleaned and installed. I doubt this was my main problem, however. In the float bowl, I found the float way high and croked. That was easy and I doubt it was my main problem, either. But then I pulled the primary and secondary jets and found this o-ring with a guilty look on its face.

So, tomorrow back to brakes on the 750. I hate brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Finally sprayed 2K clear coat on the side covers, shelter sides, and front fender. Once they are sanded and buffed, I'll mount the carbs back and put the tins back on. Been working the '79 CB750F rat bike in the meantime. Got it started, but need a lot of work on the motor yet. Seems to only run on the center two cylinders,so of course I suspect a coil. Have a spare, so I'll swap and check with that next.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts