Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
life is good
1,169 Posts
So, new Duro 918s mounted, brakes bled more and lower front brake hoses replaced. Checked compression again and the left bank was ~120 psi, right bank 180. But the left was the good bank! Pulled th left belt cover and sure enough, I had put the belt one tooth off. Corrected that (and valve adjustment, timing, carb sync, and now she runs much differently! Quieter, smoother, better pull through lower rpms. Hopefully the mileage will improve now, too.

Anyone going to WingDing in Knoxville this year? Check out the Hunley in Pistol Pete's booth! It will be there with some awesome early 'wings along with serial number 2!
did you have a dwell meter on it when you had the carburetor sync gauge and timing light on it . i like old school bikes.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Has always had a front fender, although shortened a bit (original was badly wrinkled, so I cut it off and reversed it). Don't have a dwell meter or good electronic tach - something that I need to watch Craigslist for. Plan is to interface to Ford TFI modules and use the points for triggers. The TFIs will control dwell then.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
After wet sanding and buffing, I remounted the carbs that had been pulled for investigation and correction of #2 cylinder not up to speed. Then remounted the tins. I think she came out pretty nice.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sure is Shiny! Nice Job!

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This past weekend I shook off the winter blues by putting the Hunley in the Knoxville Cabin Fever show. She won 1st place in Hondas (but, there were only three there). Had a great time and I'm happy with how she turned out after the repaint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks for the comments, folks! SO far this Spring, she has won Best of Show Motorcycle in Rockwood's Thunder Road show, and 2nd place in the Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club's show (some very nice machines in that one). My plan is to show it this summer and ride it (maybe to a few shows) next summer. The wife and I plan to ride the GL1800 to Globe Arizona via US 70 next month.

·
Administrator
25,379 Posts
Thanks for the comments, folks! SO far this Spring, she has won Best of Show Motorcycle in Rockwood's Thunder Road show, and 2nd place in the Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club's show (some very nice machines in that one). My plan is to show it this summer and ride it (maybe to a few shows) next summer. The wife and I plan to ride the GL1800 to Globe Arizona via US 70 next month.
Great.
US70 comes with 8 miles of me.

·
Administrator
58,768 Posts
The wife and I plan to ride the GL1800 to Globe Arizona via US 70 next month.

is that the road "less traveled" ??

I looked at that route, and it seems to disappear at the intersection of US-11 west of Faragut, TN.

that seems very odd to me

that don't look like a route that a GPS will want to stay with?

that also goes through Kingston, OK which is just 12 miles short of where my aunt lives in the summer months.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
is that the road "less traveled" ??

I looked at that route, and it seems to disappear at the intersection of US-11 west of Faragut, TN.

that seems very odd to me

that don't look like a route that a GPS will want to stay with?

that also goes through Kingston, OK which is just 12 miles short of where my aunt lives in the summer months.
Gets co-routed MANY times with other roads. Used to go shore to shore, now ends in Globe, Az. I've put a ton of "shaping points" in Basecamp to hopefully hold the GPS on-route.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
13 days, 4200 miles. West on US70, East on US60.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Lived in Az for 25 years,those places are familiar,I hiked the Grand Canyon in 1995,spent 3 days at Fantom Ranch,by far the toughest hike I had ever done,7mikes down and 11miles out.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,191 Posts
I've only ever seen petrified wood in photos or man made walls, never in its natural state. But how does it always seem to have those dead straight cuts in it, almost like a chainsaw did it?

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I've only ever seen petrified wood in photos or man made walls, never in its natural state. But how does it always seem to have those dead straight cuts in it, almost like a chainsaw did it?
Fractured, I'd guess. There are acres of it there.

·
Administrator
22,202 Posts
Cave men had wind-up chain saws. >:)

When you see those pieces up close it looks more like breaks than cuts.

You aren't that far from the site. Hop on your bike and go see it for yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Third 'wing is aboard! Monday, I drove over 600 miles RT to pick up a '79 that seems to be in fairly good shape and fairly complete. Although the odometer shows <78 k miles, the 2017 registration only shows a little over 41 k. Tires less than two years old (Dunlops), it is largely rust-free. AGM battery. Wouldn't start, but it's about out of gas - I'm not realky worried about that, I'll get it running right. Compression checks good.

It had been "turned into a cafe racer" by removing the handlebars and replacing them with a couple straight pieces of 7/8" tubing. Seat replaced with a chunk of carved foam rubber. Tail light replaced with a plastic unit zip-tied on. No mufflers but clean shiny headers. It came with a complete set of Vetters including the key to the bags and covers. Stock headlight and ears are in place, but I'll need to cleanly remove the Vetter connector from the harness. Trying to find a local that wants them. It also came with the original handlebars and taillight mounting bracket including rear signals.

Needs: seat, grab bar, taillight, tool tray, front signals, front brake reservoir, clutch lever(broken). I have a pretty good muffler set and hangers for it from a previous build. It also needs a good refurb by tearing it down, polish and paint, rebuild. Also the left side cover is pretty trashed and poorly glued back together. I have a spare for each side however. I will no doubt find a ton of special fasteners (like the shelter hinge pins) missing. Planning to take my time on it, and get it really right. Looks like haunting ebay is once again a thing for me. Not my first show, new belts are on order as well as filter, carbs o-rings. I have (just in case) things like head gaskets on hand.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Goldwing motors don’t run worth a crap with open headers,they need back pressure.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts