Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Finished dismantling the "parts" '79 that I brought home several weeks ago. You know a GL1000 is just a lump if you have to use crowbars, oak 2x's and a sledge hammer to split the cases! Surprisingly, the main and rod bearings looked good - no copper showing so I pulled the mains and labeled them including labeling the box with the code from the engine cases. Crank looked Ok. Gears rusty so they will be tossed along with the cases.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Been having a lot of fun taking the Hunley to nearby shows this year. Yesterday, we took her to the "Moonshiner's Run" car show in Stearns, Kentucky. Great turn-out of machines and people (check their Facebook page). I always like getting snapshots of the pinup girls on the bike.
BTW, the blonde is headed for Afganistan in 2 weeks for 9 months.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I finally pulled the '79 out of the family room side of the basement and into the garage. Took some photos as I swapped the bikes around. Headlight was removed to permit removal of the Vetter umbilical and will stay off until I can heal all of the wounds caused by the Scotch-Loks. After getting it in the garage, I pulled the cam belt covers and installed new timing belts. The old ones were stiff and the vendor info worn off the outside, so they were definitely due. Pulled the plugs and hooked up the battery (I had charged and stored it in a plastic battery box). Checked compression, and Yahoo! all 180 +/- 5 psi! The bottom of the engine is covered with oil and there is no obvious source, so I'll clean it well and watch. Although, the '77 that I had back in 2004 had the same oil coverage and it turned out to be from leaky fork seals. The cap over the rotor bolt was jammed and rounded so I had to chisel it off but luckily I had a spare from the junker engine. I think tomorrow I might just hook up the external fuel cell and see if it will fire.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
After once again pulling the rack from the Hunley to try and find why #2 plug fouls in less than 20 miles, I finally found it. The needle jet (holder?) was wallowed out seriously. Replaced it with one from the junker '79 and then took her for ~40 miles shake-down ride over Norris Dam. Result: no fouling! Then, pulled the project '79 out, hooked up fuel, and fired it up. Only static-timed and carbs not balance, but sounded pretty good. Today I registered it and will add it to my Dairyland policy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
More work on the '79 (hope the Hunley doesn't get jealous). The engine runs fairly well without carb balancing and strobe timing (which I will still do). The front forks have been rebuilt and remounted, and the front calipers cleaned and reassembled. Front MC was crudded up bad and reservoir leaking so I ordered a repair kit and reservoir on Monday. Front MC repair parts came in today (2 days early!) so I finished putting it together and mounting it up. Filled it and pumped gently until fluid was coming out before hooking up the banjo, then pulled a vacuum on right bleeder with the MightyVac until fluid came out of it. Switched to the left and did the same. Went back and forth a couple times, pumped the pads out, knocked that last little bubble out, and it seems to have a handful now. Also change oil, filter, coolant, and rear end grease. backed her outside and let her idle a little so I can top off coolant if needed. Insurance kicks in Friday. I think I'll strobe time and balance carbs tomorrow after changing the valve cover gaskets that I noticed are weeping.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
'79 the family named "Freedom"

Pulled the '79 out this morning and checked the timing with a strobe - spot on! I must be getting better setting static timing. Then, balanced the carbs (were off, but balanced quickly), then took her for a spin. Rear brakes need bedded in (fronts are great) and the rear shocks/springs are way soft. The springs are two different wire size springs stacked on each other with a divider plate. I think that I have the originals from the Hunley build around somewhere. Don't know if these shocks are rebuildable but they don't feel like they are doing anything - just bouncing on the springs.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Working on a '78 that I pulled out of a fence row in Kentucky for a club challenge. Engine out of the frame and working parts. Carbs rebuilt and leak tested today as well as the fork legs.

Root canal tomorrow. Yahoo!

321113

321114

321115
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Couple days ago the weather hit those two magic winter days that outdoor painting can be done, so I ground, sanded, flap-wheeled, and wire brushed the frame. Then, alcohol and acetone wipe-down, etching primer and Rustoleum black appliance epoxy (really an enamel). Hanging from the garage ceiling curring, now.

A PO had mounted a '79 tail light on my '78 project, but without the '79 turn signals - just the stalks. And, there's rust in places. So, I cut the "tangs" off and spun inserts on the lathe tapped 10x1.25 - same as a pair of signals that I had left over from previous work. Then used abrasive plastic wheel to remove rust, loose chrome, and rough-up remaining chrome. I taped off the chrome that remains good (most of the visible chrome is Ok) and put it in the growing pile awaiting more weather for painting.
 
61 - 70 of 70 Posts
Top