Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago, I had a vehicle ( can't recall if car or truck )
that had a throttle cable you could pull out of the dash to raise the idle speed just a bit to keep the generator running enough to keep the electrics going while I worked.

Now, I have a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3L ( 350 CC ) engine, with FI of course.
On our trip pulling the Toy Hauler and our two little 75 lb puppies :grin3:
we had several occasions where we needed to leave the truck running to keep the doggies cool. Temps were in the high 90s at the time. ( we like to visit museums, etc and the doors will lock with a key ) and the dogs don't like strangers :laugh:

Coming back to the truck, I did not like seeing the temp gauge nudging the Red Line.

Just touching the throttle and bringing the tach up to 1500 rpm brought the temp gauge back down to normal again.

I googled the world, and found 'GRIP' for fleet vehicles to purposely shut the engine down, if left idling more than 5 minutes.

Not what I want.... my son says to use a Popsicle stick under the throttle's perch...
uh, the engine is hot, I can't reach that far, and the throttle is covered with a "cover"

I need to just flip a switch, pull a cable out, something... and pop the hood of course.
any ideas?

my perfect idea is something that plugs into the CAN port and will tell the ECM to up the throttle a bit.

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,

I am going to crawl under the hood tomorrow morning and find out what is under the engine cover.
I am probably wrong, but I was thinking the truck has a throttle body injection system? if not, there should be a bunch of steel lines running to each intake port.

that cable should do the trick, tnx for the link.

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I am going to crawl under the hood tomorrow morning and find out what is under the engine cover.
I am probably wrong, but I was thinking the truck has a throttle body injection system? if not, there should be a bunch of steel lines running to each intake port.

that cable should do the trick, tnx for the link.

No, it's not TBI, it is port injection but you won't see a bunch of steel lines, it's not a diesel.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
My 99 Tahoe still uses a cable,I am not sure what year GM went throttle by wire. But in that system there is a way to up idle speed.It is designed for trucks using PTO devices. So possibly would not be in the wire harness for an SUV .
My previous 2007 one tone work truck used this high idle method to run an engine mounted air compressor system. IIRC they had a couple of RPM selections to choose from.

So I just did a quick looky and it seems throttle by wire came in 2003. The method I described was on 3500 series possibly only diesel engine.
Another method RPO option UF3 uses the cruise control but again I think that is on later vehicles.

The simple solution in your case may be a "T" handle cable with twist lock in position. Run the cable out to the throttle body and make an attachment for the cable housing and the sliding cable on the throttle arm.

Back in the late 60s? early 70s GM used a soleniod on the carburettor to up idle speed . If you could sorct one of those and fab the brakets needed it could be a electic system wich would be nicer because it could deactivate by use of a relay system.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My 99 Tahoe still uses a cable,

I am not sure what year GM went throttle by wire. But in that system there is a way to up idle speed.It is designed for trucks using PTO devices. So possibly would not be in the wire harness for an SUV .
My previous 2007 one tone work truck used this high idle method to run an engine mounted air compressor system. IIRC they had a couple of RPM selections to choose from.

So I just did a quick looky and it seems throttle by wire came in 2003.
The method I described was on 3500 series possibly only diesel engine.
Another method RPO option UF3 uses the cruise control but again I think that is on later vehicles.
The simple solution in your case may be a "T" handle cable with twist lock in position.

Run the cable out to the throttle body and make an attachment for the cable housing and the sliding cable on the throttle arm.

Back in the late 60s? early 70s GM used a solenoid on the carburettor to up idle speed . If you could sorct one of those and fab the brackets needed it could be a electric system which would be nicer because it could deactivate by use of a relay system.

I remember the electric solenoid on the carb now that you mention it, I had to twist the screw in a bit on a work truck to get the idle up high enough to keep the engine temps cool in 105* weather....

I just looked at the truck and found a single tuned port injection tube. Plus, the cable driven input throttle body cam lobe.

So, the cable that Dave found is going to be ordered, and it seems that removing the top cover should find a nice place to Zip Tie that new vernier cable along side the existing control cable housings.

·
big PIA
1,421 Posts
I tried opening the link Dave sent you but would not open for me, I saw a throttle cable in the rafters of my garage, if I remember it was still in plastic and I am going to get rid of it because I have no use for it. I will take picture of it when I get home, maybe it's something you can use. My dad used to work at a truck repair shop and I think that is where it came from

·
Did...did I do that?
128 Posts
Sounds like you might have a solution, but if not, you might look into companies that outfit emergency vehicles, especially those that specialize in K9 units. They have to have better cooling control than your average unit.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried opening the link Dave sent you but would not open for me, I saw a throttle cable in the rafters of my garage, if I remember it was still in plastic and I am going to get rid of it because I have no use for it. I will take picture of it when I get home, maybe it's something you can use. My dad used to work at a truck repair shop and I think that is where it came from

I would appreciate that, if you find it.

·
Banned
500 Posts
ummm, cant ya just install a better cooling fan? cmhbob hit another thought. the ecm controls the hyigher idle on popo cars. find how they manipulate the IAC?

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave,
I had found that earlier in my searches as well.
1st off, my Cruise is on the Stalk on the left side of the Steering Wheel, but I tried it anyway. Does not work.

then I saw a note it is only on the 2008 year model trucks?

I see in your note it says the "parking brake must be applied". that note was not in my link, I will go try it again to see if that works for me.

I've already ordered up the Vernier Cable you gave me the link for, so if the CC system won't work for me, the cable darn sure will.

One ?? though, won't I have to provide a "Square box coupler" over the CC linkage pivot? seems that I remember the truck I used to drive had a rectangular "box" built around the CC pivot so that the cable does not interfere with the throttle/CC functions.

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
One ?? though, won't I have to provide a "Square box coupler" over the CC linkage pivot? seems that I remember the truck I used to drive had a rectangular "box" built around the CC pivot so that the cable does not interfere with the throttle/CC functions.

You will have to make some kind of slip joint so the cable won't interfere.

·
big PIA
1,421 Posts
I was in garage this afternoon but couldn't find that cable, not sure if I let someone else take it or if 1 of my brothers grabbed it. I don't remember getting it down but could not locate it, sorry.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I'd be a +1 for mounting an electric fan to assist cooling. switch it on when needed.
It's very difficult to increase the idle "just a bit" and not have it start to increase more than wished for. try and hold your foot on gas pedal and maintain 1100 without variance to test sensitivity.

the cruise trick was only on diesels, btw

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Using a beaded chain as you coupler might help remove CC interference.
it does not need an electric fan. the fan it has roars like a Freight Train when the thermo-coupler engages it... and the air coming out behind it is very strong.

Twice, I got it too hot, gauge up almost at the Red Line.
Once I left it idling too long keeping the dogs cool: raised idle speed to 1500 and the fan started roaring and the temp gauge dropped in about 1 minute, in about 3 minutes it was down to normal again.

2nd time, I got to pushing it too hard, pushing 68 mph instead of 55 mph, against a headwind. Temp redlined and when I saw it, turned off the a/c and dropped the speed back to 50 mph.... in 2 minutes flat the gauge was back to normal.

Chain Beads: Now that is a Damn Good idea!

as for the idle speed, I can slowly press on the throttle and the RPMs will follow very good.

I can hold 1500 RPM constantly and it does not try to hunt.
have a lot of confidence the vernier cable is just the thing I need.

and that beaded chain? problem solved. :grin3:

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The vernier cable arrived a few minutes ago.

Looks like a premium product to me.

Wind it out to increase speed gently....

Push the big Red Button and snap! it goes back to low idle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts