Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two Fridays ago 21 riders from Maryland, Kentucky, Ohio, PA, South Carolina, GA, Indiania, Bama, and Tenn. met in Fairview, TN. for a ride to The Land Between the Lakes. Nine of us left the Knoxville area around 9:30 with the temps around 29 degrees. We took highway 70 which parallels I-40 West across the Cumberland Plateau. Our first stop was Ozone Falls.

This is Eri
c from Maryland, SmokinJoe and me at the falls.

This is the steam that carved this beautiful area.

Winding our way across the Plateau for our next stop outside Crossville and the Treehouse.

The Treehouse is 5 stories with a crows nest at the top.

This field can be seen from the Crow's Nest.

This is a small teepee like structure made from tin sheets. They allow a man who had no home to live here in exchange for helping on the farm.

We rode 70 to Lebanon, TN where we had a late lunch. Then we climbed onto I40 and made a sprint to Fairview 20 miles West of Nashville. The next morning. We rode beautiful roads to and around The Land Between the Lakes.

Th
There were herds of buffalo on the trip and a furnace used to make charcoal.

We had buffet lunch at the Visitor Center fit for a king. From the terrace beautiful views of the surrounding lakes can be seen.

We got back to the motel a little after dark where we talked about the wonderful roads we had been on, the beautiful scenery and the great time we had. The next morning was blustery but we packed up and hightailed it for home. A trip I want to take again sometime.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Memories..... Thank you!!

Growing up in Southern Illinois, my parents and I would fly down to the airport at Kentucky Lake Dam and head to the lodge for Buffalo Burgers, and often a great Sunday Brunch.

I've been in the land-between a few times, and was captivated by the natural beauty.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Used to be my old stomping grounds. Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for the pictures:action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Maybe we all can plan on meeting somewhere close next year and create some new memories!

Dubs

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Sound like a plan.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

We have been to the LBL area many times. The Elk & Buffalo are a beautiful site....but motorcycles aren't allowed to enter the fenced in area. I think my wing would out-run an Elk!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

In my world you ride what you want and everyone I ride with accepts it. Although we love the bikes we have it isn't about just the bike. Its about the ride and the friendship. The ride from Knoxville to Fairview took most of the day because we took back roads and stopped a lot. Saturday's ride started at 9 A.M. and ended at about 7 that evening. All back roads, plenty of stops and a nice pace that kept the 22 bikes and their riders safe. The ride home on Sunday took about 3 hours. One stop and and a hard ride home. I have to get a map out and try to figure out all the roads we were on. Our first stop was at Fort Donelson on the Cumberland River. Sorry, I forgot to uplad pics of that stop although it is a beautiful place.

I am serious about making this ride again. If anyone is interested we can plan a late Spring ride there. And be fore warned, there will probably be bikes there other than GoldWings and Valks!

Dubs

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Ft Donnelson is on Hwy 79 just west of Dover TN. You are actually entering LBL once you cross the river there in Dover.

Keep us posted on a ride next spring. I'd love to join you guys. I may live in IL but my heart is still in TN. Only came to IL because of work.I'd be gameto ride down in yourneck of the woods as well. I'm sure you have some nice rides that I haven't been on in the Knoxville area. I haverode down there before in Greenville,Seveirville, Gattlinburgand the Smokeys in the past.

As far as other bikes. That makes no difference to me. We ride what we like and enjoy.The freindshipand what we all have in common is what is important.

Parman
:action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Parman, We can make this a Steve Saunders forum members ride if we can get enough to commit! Of course, anyone is welcome! we can put on a nice little ride. Do about the same, meet somewhere like the Deerlodge Inn in Fairview. Rooms are reasonable and you park right in front of your room. A
Denys is just across the street so meals are easy too. The roads are truly wonderful to ride and I know meeting everyone would be a treat!

I think we have the makings of a very goodride! I'm in!

Everyone that wants to make this event next year chine in so we can plan this ride. I just know Halfling will want to go.

Dubs

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

Depending on work schedule I might be interested in this. Been there in cage but not on bike. Keep me posted.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

We have plenty of time to plan this trip. I will let everyone know early next Spring and make arrangements.

Dubs

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Sounds good. Looking forward to getting together.I'm not sure which routes you are planning on but if we all meet in Fairfield area there are some nice routes over to Columbia, Hurricane Mills, Waverly areas leading us up to LBL. We could then ride the entire Trace up to Grandville or Eddieville. Us northern boys could head home from there and you could slab it back down I-24 to Nashville on over to Knoxville. I road a lot of them in the past but its been several years ago.

Loretta Lynns homestead in Hurricane Mills is a option to visit.

There are several camping areas / hotels in the LBL area for us to stay at as well.

Parman

:action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Parman, It sounds like you know the area much better than me. If you want to put together a ride that starts in Fairview and we ride to a second location for the second night, I'm all for it! The Deerlodge Inn was a good and reasonable place to stay. If we could find another cheap motel at the end of the ride actualy makes the ride more interesting.

If you don't mind planning the route we could google for a place to stay at the end of the ride. I am looking forward to meeting everyone that can make this ride next year!

Dubs

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Dubs,

Where is the Deerlodge Inn located? I can assistwith some of theroutes. Let me try and remember some of the routes I used to ride. It's been years but I'm sure it will come back to me when I start reviewing maps. I'll put something together and see if it will work for us.

I haven't seen or heard anything from Halfwing but I'm thinking he would have some valuable info to contribute. If I'm not mistaking he is from the Nashville area.

Parman

(Don)

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Great gathering. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Parman, Deerfield Inn exit 182 off I-40 Fairview, TN. Phone # 615-799-4700. They have 40 rooms. They are across from a truck stop and Denny's just off exit 182.

We had lunch at Lake Barley State Lodge in Kentucky.

I'm sure you can create a great ride on those roads from Fairview up thru the Land between the Lakes. Halfling is from the Nashville area and can probably lend some insight to the event!

Dubs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.