·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The Mike Kramer Odyssey

8/10/2011
Well, I have had a great time the last 3 days. I sent Mike a plane ticket for Phoenix and asked him to "get out of Dodge" for a while to see something new out West.

Managed to calf rope him and force him ride my "new to me, ST1100" up the Goldfield Mine road which is called "Apache Trail". It leads up to a small ghost town, tourist Mecca call Tortilla Flat. We wandered around on foot taking pictures, buying stuff we "just can't leave there" :ROFL:

We stopped at the Goldfield Mine ghost town on the way up, 6:30 AM when we got there :shock:, so picture taking was about all we could do. Enjoyed that for a spell, and then we hit the road again headed north until we reached Tortilla Flat.

Still way too early for Tortilla Flat to wake up:sleepy:, so we sipped on a cold soda can's contents :blackstuff: and wiped the sweat from our brows. Jeez, don't it ever cool down in the Arizona Desert?? :cooldj: 8:15 AM and we are wet wet wet….

Look at the GPS and decide that we will just go on and bypass Tortilla Flat and take in Roosevelt Dam, then hook it on down to Globe, Az.

Well, about 5 miles out of Tortilla Flat the pavement ends, and a wash boarded out dirt/sandy road is all you have. Followed that for about 2 miles with an elapsed time of 15 minutes, came upon a tourist turnout with a very nice paved parking lot and bathroom facilities. We took a lot of pictures there, sat in the shade and did some hard thinking about "should we go on farther up this road?"

More GPS work (sure glad mine was battery operated), and took note that another 27 miles of wash boarded road lay in front of us. We looked at each other and agreed that "this is far enough", turn around and go back.

Back to Tortilla Flat and low and behold, there are people wandering around and the restaurant is open for business!!! We drank a full gallon pitcher full of ice water and ordered up a couple of "our specialty of the house" hamburgers. Those burgers came on a big platter layered with fries all over, condiments stacked on one end, and a 1 inch thick patty stuck between layers of cheese and BIG buns on the other end.

An hour later, after we managed to get all of that down, we wandered down to the Trading Post and came up with some more trinkets….. we both got a ball cap labeled with Tortilla Flat, AZ (of course).

Headed on back down south and now the Goldfield Mine Museum is open for business. We walk around for another hour and then wind our way back home. It was a wonderful day, full of surprises and lots of things neither of us had seen. Even though I have been up/down that road several times. It is always new and different because of the way the light rays strike the hill surfaces, or the clouds, or a fresh sunrise's reddish colors, or……………

Today, we messed around a bit, Mike picked out a route to go home, packed up his bags and made ready to wander north. I made him keep the key to the ST1100 in his pocket, gave him a copy of the title with my wording on it that he has permission to ride the bike anywhere, a copy of the insurance policy and then I booted him out of here :ROFL:

I had a wonderful time, and I just wish he could have stayed longer. But at least, I got almost 3 consecutive days of visiting down with him.

Mike,

You have a safe ride, make sure you keep your promise and update us every night as to where you went and what you saw.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Good on you John, Good on you.

There is a special place for folks that will do that sort of thing for a friend.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

:applause::bow::thumbsup::congrats:

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

So where are all the pics

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

All I can say is "WHAT A STAND UP GUY YOU ARE JOHN" And yes I was yelling cuz I want everyone to hear. God Bless You AZ and MD as well!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

:waving:

Once again this forum proves, we have THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!!!!:claps::claps::claps::claps:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:( I'm sorry guys, forgot the pictures.

Will this help out until Mike comes on and posts his?

I only had my cellphone and this is all I took.

Mike took over 200 snapshots of the trip with a real, live, honest to gosh camera.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I agree with what everyone else has already posted - John, you are one hell of a guy!
When I make it back to Phoenix, Dinner is on me.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

John, Dont know when your gonna arrive at ES7 but when u do look me up, lunch is on me...That is a great thing you did, anyone should be honored to call you his friend...

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

You know, there just aren't words enough in my vocabulary to say just how much of a stand up nice guy you are John. Suffice it to say that that has to be one of the MOST generous and sincere acts I do believe that I have ever seen anyone do. One day I will be able to shake your hand for that and be proud to pat you on the back and say "WELL DONE my friend, WELL DONE"

As we Hillbillies say,

Ya done GOOD!!
:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

John!

What in the hell are you doing???!!!???? Don't you realize how bad you make the rest of us look?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Whatever you need, John, whenever, wherever.... just ring us up....

Red and CJ

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Amen to where ever when ever John.....All you gotta do is ask.....

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

John,

Outstanding!! You are one of the best!! :applause::bow::applause::bow::applause:

John

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

That was great, John! People like you are what makes this the finest forum on the net. I'm really glad you all had a great time!:claps::claps::claps:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Wow, I am speechless! What a nice gesture!!!! John you deserve a crown no doubt. Mike, I hope has a great trip and time to recover from the circumstances of his loss. It will take time.
Only the best to each of you.
David

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.