Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Many of the places I've ridden have become permanently etched on the fabric of my soul: California's Highway 1; Montana and Wyoming's, Beartooth Pass (Hwy 212); the Berner Oberland, Switzerland; and, perhaps the deepest etch of all, the Mountain South...Appalachia.....the Blue Ridge.....

But it's not just the Blue Ridge Parkway, it's the total package, it's the entire picture. The South we are experiencingis clean, friendly, accepting, prosperous.... The schools and freeways and parkways are immaculate. There are no warmer and friendlier people anywhere. They are gracious and forgiving and generous. The language is beautiful: to hear a happy southern girl talk and laugh is to hear high music indeed.... The sweetest waitresses in the world are down here. And these people are proud of their homes and cities and neighborhoods-- and well they should be. They have come through fire, and have come out tempered and strong. They are patriotic to a man and USMC and Army Airborne stickers are everywhere. Anyone who carries a vision of the South based on movies like Deliverance and the Heat Of The Night are simply idiots and need to get down here and see what it's really like.

We love the place. Especially the Mountain South, the blue ridges and smoky hollows and the sweet water rivers..... hell, I don't wanna go back! Maybe I could buy a little place in Asheville, store another bike there on a maintainer, and fly down there twice a year to ride the Southern dream....... possible..... I can't move here permanently, not yet anyway, because Red's parents would be brokenhearted and they are the type of people you just don't hurt. Nossir.

Red and I are now forted up in Memphis with my brother and his wife: we'll take a break, and start north again after the fourth..... I'll have some pictures of the BRP soon.....

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
imported post

Mel , Red , so nice to hear your having a good time and alls going well . Yep those mountians are beautiful . IF the time is ever right for you to move , the scenery will still be there for you .

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Maybe I could buy a little place in Ashville, store another bike there on a maintainer, and fly down there twice a year to ride the Southern dream
No need to do that CJ. Just fly into Columbia or Augusta and pick up the '83 rent-a-mule anytime!:action:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Sounds grand to hear from you. Sounds like it more than what you expected. Thats totally awesome. One day I will make the run myself and experience your writings.
Ride Safe to both of you.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz another convert.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Really...... hush now you here!!! We don't want a flood of folks coming down here.....lol Glad you are enjoying the trip.

I bought a vaction club package last weekend in Pigeon Forge. That might be something you could look into. You can get 2,3, and 4 week packages that are way better than time shares because you don't have to pay maintenance fees and you can travel all over the world with them as well. About a 1/3 of what most timeshares cost you. Holler at me if you would like to know more about them because you can travel to there and ride the same roads you were on and still come back there to spend the night in cabins that are out of this world.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

When I was single I traveled the length of the Appalachians and I agree that the scenery is great. I also agree with you on the people. I met one young lady that convinced me to hang around a couple of days and I would have brought her back if possible. It was easy to tell when I got close to Washington DC and the other highly populated areas, the people became jerks and snobs. After getting through the middle section, I found great people again.
Maybe this is why our country is such a mess, the politician all live with buttheads and not the great people, or is it that the politicians create buttheads.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you enjoyed our little slice of the earth. I moved to the foothills of the Appalachians in 1986 to go to school. I left within days of graduating swearing I would never be back. The "real" mountains of Colorado were calling me. Three months later I was back and I have never left. This area has a way of getting inside you.

Asheville is a great little city. It is a bit infected with hipsters at the moment (even my stepson who is 25 and has a few hipster tendencies was a bit fed up with the crowd there), but that should clear up in a few years. It is one of the few cities that I would consider leaving our little town for. No matter what your outside recreation preference, it can be had in that area. Hiking, biking, camping, climbing, rafting, fishing and, of course, great motorcycling roads.

I have never heard the term Mountain South. Did you invent that or did you hear someone else use it? I am just curious mostly. The term I hear, and I think it has a bit more poetry to it, is Southern Highlands. It evokes Scotland to me, and many of the folks around here are of Scotch-Irish decent.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

First of all, glad to hear that the two of you are safe and having a good ride. I know very well what you're referring to as I have family spread from W. Va down to florida and we try to visit as often as possible. You have to show pictures because words fail to give the picture and even then, pictures fail the experience.

Have a good rest and wipe away the tear as you leave that gorgeous range behid you.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Gotta love those mountain southern girls, got one myself.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

CJ & Red, I,m glad you enjoyed the mountain south. I live about 50 milesw from the BRP and spend a lot of time there. There's plenty of great riding in the area. Some time when you have more time to get out and ride, just come this way. I know a lot of these great riding roads.:action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

AndyB
I have never heard the term Mountain South. Did you invent that or did you hear someone else use it? I am just curious mostly. The term I hear, and I think it has a bit more poetry to it, is Southern Highlands. It evokes Scotland to me, and many of the folks around here are of Scotch-Irish decent.

I don't think I invented it, Andy, that would be too presumptious of me..... We've only been on the BRP twice, once in '97 all the way from Cherokee, NC, through Front Royal, and then onto Skyline Drive to Maryland/Pennsylvania, and for the two days only this time. I must have heard the term "Mountain South" somewhere.... TV weatherman maybe..... but "Southern Highlands" is pretty cool, too.... and fits the bill!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'm glad to hear that you and Red of course, are having a great time on this side of the big river.

I don't know what it is about mountains but they do something to you and you can't avoid it. Even being from the near flatest part of the country, I like the mountains up there too.

I would have love to have seen these ole girls in their prime. I've seen PBS programs talking about our mountains, they believe they are the oldest here in the USA. In their glory, they would have put Everest to shame.

But alas, they didn't have any roads on them back then.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I'm glad to see you two have surfaced! Taught a two day BRP at Smoky Mtn. Harley Davidson. Great class, great people and I have to say a great dealership. I would buy from them. Pulled a muscle in the back of my leg this morning at the class. Still hurts and will hamper my mobility for awhile. Rode some of the rodes I took you guys on. Looked in my mirror a couple times and thought I saw you on that sleek gray touring machine. Maybe just wishing for the company. Hope Sandy is enjoying her new car. Sweet ride for a great woman. You did good CJ! Post pics when you get the chance and ride safe my friends! Oh, you keep talking about the South and us Southers like that and you will give the impression we are a bunch of wusses! Heh, heh maybe we want you to think that. Oh yea, don't forget your keys!

Later, Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Oh yea, don't forget your keys!

Later, Bernie
Bernie, ol' son, if it takes me a hundred years I'm gonna get you back for that key trick!

How about something like this:

I take out an add in the Knoxville paper saying something like:

"The east Tennessee branch of The Society To Remove Firearms From Private Ownership is conducting a membership drive in Knoxville. Please contact our local chapter president, ol' Bernie XXXXXXXXX, at XXX-XXX-XXXX for information and membership forms."

That oughta get all your friends wondering! What say, hey?

(tell Lois she was right about Memphis being in another country!)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

CJ, You know you can't trick a trickster! After all, you did get your keys and didn't have to go search the mall for them! We are still waiting for picks from the BRP!

Stay safe!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

cuz, glad to hear from you! we have all missed you man! we will be heading south to florida here in a day or two. were taking the cage though, cause mamma said she couldnt make it that far on the bike, and still be able to move when we got there. :D plus she has to pack too much for two weeks, never fit on the bikes!
looking forward to those pics and stories. cya man! rick

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Finally got me a disc burned of some Blue Ridge photos......

The ST and the Blue Ridge...

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

tunnel shot......

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

some of my favorite things: The Blue Ridge Mountains, my Eureka tent, my Honda ST 1300 geiserzoomersplat, and my cherished, precious wife..........

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.