Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*The Tour model’s top trunk is 11 liters larger, for a total of 61 liters storage capacity.

*The passenger's seat backrest features a more relaxed angle, thicker foam and a taller profile. The seat has a suede-like cover with an enhanced appearance, and the Gold Wing has colored seat piping for added color contrast.

*A number of audio improvements were incorporated, including upgraded, 45 watt speakers with richer audio; optimized automatic volume-adjustment level and a standard XM radio antenna. The rear turn signals are now all red for a clean, stylish look.

*Colors! ---
Gold Wing Tour Air Bag DCT: Candy Ardent Red. Gold Wing Tour DCT,

Gold Wing Tour: Candy Ardent Red and Metallic Black.

Gold Wing DCT, Gold Wing: Deep Pearl Gray.​

Video run down: https://youtu.be/mZtsUSXt-Zs

Honda site: https://powersports.honda.com/street/touring/gold-wing...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
If I tripped over a 50 pound bag of gold, I still wouldn't buy one. Mostly I just don't like the colors.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno Dennis, that red one is might pretty, but the All Black version is sweet also.

I kind stay off of super dark colors myself, as they show up dust too much.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
I wonder when they will get back to making a real touring bike again.

Reactions: Jake70

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder when they will get back to making a real touring bike again.
ain't going to happen Dave, everyone wants the Cadillac accessories.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
ain't going to happen Dave, everyone wants the Cadillac accessories.
The accessories are fine if you like that stuff, it's the sport touring bike they are attached to that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
as much as I hate to say it, if I were in the market for a brand new bike I would probably step away from the Goldwing. I like my new to me 02 but I couldn't see going any newer as even it is a step more sporty than I prefer. If I wasn't planning on mounting a sidecar to it I don't think I would have bought it. I was OK with the change in body style until the change in 2018, then it started looking like the Victory with it's sharp corners. but like a lot of things it might grow on me :unsure:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Glad to hear they backtracked on the shrinking trunk. The lack of two helmet storage really put me off the new gen. I guess now I can think about a new model without having to explore aftermarket options to increase storage.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I'd love to have the red DCT touring model. All of the improvements are spot on and it's a world class tourer that takes a back seat to no other brand in quality. The 'Wing has evolved over the decades to exactly where the market has driven it. Good job Honda!

PS: Yeah, black is pretty...until you take it out of the garage into the sunlight. A bit of dust and a few miles down the road and it needs to be cleaned again to look decent. I know from having several black motorcycles, including a GL1500.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
Besides, Red is the FASTEST color.... 😁

·
Premium Member
2012 GL 1800
18 Posts
The accessories are fine if you like that stuff, it's the sport touring bike they are attached to that is the problem.
Can you explain why you refer to it as a "sport touring" bike? The "tour" models look like a touring bike to me. I was also rather surprised that, if you don't select the DCT model, the price is about what I paid for my 2012.

I'm not in the market for a new bike, so I'm just curious. I kept my '88 for 25 years, and my 2012 still feels brand new to me.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Can you explain why you refer to it as a "sport touring" bike? The "tour" models look like a touring bike to me. I was also rather surprised that, if you don't select the DCT model, the price is about what I paid for my 2012.

I'm not in the market for a new bike, so I'm just curious. I kept my '88 for 25 years, and my 2012 still feels brand new to me.
Because that's pretty much what it is, a sport touring with a trunk. It seating position and overall feel is far from the previous 1800s and 1500s especially. More like riding an ST 1300 or similar. It even reminds me of riding my friend's KTM1190 for it's lack of low end torque and more high end performance.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL 1800
18 Posts
Because that's pretty much what it is, a sport touring with a trunk. It seating position and overall feel is far from the previous 1800s and 1500s especially. More like riding an ST 1300 or similar. It even reminds me of riding my friend's KTM1190 for it's lack of low end torque and more high end performance.
Have you had the opportunity to ride one, or are you going by the web site data?

I can't form an opinion on the seating position or overall feel just by looking at the web site, and I'm not enough of a performance guy to note low end torque specs. The general style does appear more angular and sporty to me.

I always thought my 1500 felt like driving an old Cadillac. It's big and comfortable and has plenty of power. The suspension is a little squishy and not really designed for aggressive riding. The main performance difference that I noticed with my 2012 is that the front end didn't dive down so much if I braked hard. The overall comfort seemed about the same to me.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Dave pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have a 2019 Tour and the seating is not good and the low end torque isn't so bad in Sport mode. Unlike my 2008 where I started in second gear most of the time, without a problem, this bike in the other modes requires you feather the clutch a bit. There is more side wind turbulence as well. The bike, it seems to me was built for shorter riders to fit well. Yes Dave is speaking from experience, he has ridden mine.Flip side, it looks good. LOL

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Dave pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have a 2019 Tour and the seating is not good and the low end torque isn't so bad in Sport mode. Unlike my 2008 where I started in second gear most of the time, without a problem, this bike in the other modes requires you feather the clutch a bit. There is more side wind turbulence as well. The bike, it seems to me was built for shorter riders to fit well. Yes Dave is speaking from experience, he has ridden mine.Flip side, it looks good. LOL
To add to that the DCT probably doesn't have the low end problem that the 6 speed does since it's kind of like an automatic, haven't ridden one of those.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I rode the Demo DCT it was only for about 20 miles around town and then a quick trip down the freeway. I was real uncomfortable on the bike because the dealer just pushed it out of the show room and told me a couple of things and off I went.

I was all so nervous about riding this bike because $30,000 is a lot of money if something should happen. I did get on it a bit coming on to the freeway and was doing close to 90 mph merging into traffic at the end of the on ramp.

I think that bike has plenty of performance even for Dave, To be Honest I looked for the turn signals until right at the end of the ride.

A lot of electronics for an old guy like me. I rode my GL1500 a couple days ago and its smooth as silk and is a real good bike for me. AND ITS PAID FOR. Lol It got me back to the Meet and Greet and home in Sept.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To add to that the DCT probably doesn't have the low end problem that the 6 speed does since it's kind of like an automatic, haven't ridden one of those.
I am in the market for a new Wing (I've never actually been on a Wing) so I have been doing a fair amount of research both on this site and on the web. With regards to torque, an article from Cycle World dyno'd the 2020 DCT at 102.5 lbs-ft @ 1,370 rpm and a 2018 manual at 108.4 lbs-ft @ 1,210 rpm. Idle appeared to be just under 1000 rpm on both. With both the torque tapered off as rpm increased. A 2009 by comparison, showed a typical curve with torque at approximately 90 lbs-ft at 2,000 rpm and peaked at 105.7 lbs-ft at 4,100 rpm. H/P is 118 vs. 125.
Personally I love the look of the new bikes and will go for trunkless model (GL1800BM). My VTX1800C has just bags/luggage and I have toured extensively on it without feeling cramped for space. Also, it is just me on it as my wife has her own ride.
Thank to all for you posts on your riding experiences, they are most helpful to this Wing newbie.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
. With regards to torque, an article from Cycle World dyno'd the 2020 DCT at 102.5 lbs-ft @ 1,370 rpm and a 2018 manual at 108.4 lbs-ft @ 1,210 rpm. Idle appeared to be just under 1000 rpm on both. With both the torque tapered off at rpm increased. A 2009 by comparison, showed a typical curve with torque at approximately 90 lbs-ft at 2,000 rpm and peaked at 105.7 lbs-ft at 4,100 rpm. H/P is 118 vs. 125.
Those numbers don't mean much. on a 2001-2017 GL1800 you can cruise along at 30 MPH in 5th, about 1200 RPM & crack the throttle and accelerate smoothly and pretty quick. Not much need to ever down shift to pass. On the 2018+ with the 6 speed it has no usable torque below 2500 RPM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts