Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok I pulled the plugs last night and I have no spark on any of the plugs so I figure I have got a major break in the circuit someplace..or I put the "new" coils in wrong..I did match up all the wires correctly the new coils were from the same year so it all matched up and I watched the guy at the salvage yard check them on his big fancy meter thing. So where should I start? What are the components in the system? I figure I should start closest to the beginning and work toward the coils or should start at the coils and work backwards?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

A dumb question but did you check the kill switch.

Not sure which bike your talking about as points/electronic ignition are different animals. Sometimes the spark is not that easy to see.

A couple of easy ways to check: to pull one plug wire off a plug & take an old plug and put it up against the engine case, while you hit starter.( kill switch on). If no spark at any wires then go directly to the connectors that supply power to the ignition. Or you can use a timing light ( easiest yet ) hook it to each plug wire & figure out which one or more is causing the problem.

If you have nothing, then check your connectors & use a test light to backtrack the ignitions electrical system. Just follow the examples in the service manual.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Still working on the 76??

Probably the first place I would start is the points. Set the bike up to run but have the plugs out and installed in the plug caps and laying on the valve covers. Turn out the lights and crank the engine. Look at the points while cranking. You should see minute sparks across the point contacts as she cranks.

If that is present then I would move to the coils and make sure you have power there. Pretty sure it should have constant power on the black and white wire. Also check to make sure the coil pack has a solid ground.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yep, this is still the 76..will check for spark at the points. I figure it's got to be something big if I have no spark on any plug..all of them are out and laying on the block.

That constant power on the bl/wh wire is that with the ignition on and cranking or just ignition on?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Here's what I found..first I pulled the coil pack and found one of the bl/wh wires was either loose or fell out so I put that back in firmly, check the ground made sure is is tight.

Then I checked for spark at the points..nothing. So I thought I should gap and set the timing..I reset the gap to .33mm +/- and then tried to static time her..

Here's the big surprise both points turn my static light on right at the "F" perfectly...EXCEPT the 1/2 set and 3/4 set come on at the number 2 F mark..so what would cause that??? Nothing at the 1 "F" and both at the 2 F mark???? :shock::shock:

Something very wrong...right???

This is what I see coming out of the points: I have two wires in a braid line one is a faded yellow braid with a green collar the other is faded blue braid with a yellow collar.
Both of these are currently plugged into the same double plug(I assume that's not correct) that has a blue wire with a yellow collar going out of that double connector into the harness.

There is one other double connector next to the above which has a white wire coming out of it into the harness and it has a yellow wire with a green collar and a blue wire with a yellow collar going into the double connector end of it.

It seems like these two connectors have their wires crossed but I don't want to start moving things around remember I am electronically challenged and I don't want to make things worse..

I did try to take a pic but my camera crapped out on me...it just isn't my day!!!

Fixed it...:)

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

What is everyone at work or something..my electric guru's where are you???:cool:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Swap these two wires.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

-Yep, I did and that fixed it..I thought that was it..boy someone really screwed up the circuits on this bike...I'll time and gaped it tomorrow in the A.M. too hot for work outside now..90!!! And check for plug spark after that..

Note since my static timing light lights I assume I should have spark at the points..they are cleaned and aligned.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Yeup sounds like you got a handle on it. Sorry for the delay. It quit raining and it got over 50 degrees so I been out in the shop most of the afternoon.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Come on, Ron what's more important working on your bikes or mine!!!!:dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK things are looking up..I have spark at the plugs, it's timed and gaped..now all I need is to put the headers and mufflers back on..and she if she'll actually start..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.