Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Some say that hard feelings and animosity are still alive and well over the civil war. Just had a conversation with a customer and he brought it up. I told him that I was planning a trip to Kentucky with my son for next spring and he said he doesn't travel South anymore because "those people in the South don't like North folk". He said he has "had words" with a few folks during past bike trips.

My parents are from Kentucky, and I spent a great deal of time there as a child. I guess I didn't really mix much, but Inever picked up on that. Very curious to hear your opinions or experiences with this, if any.

Ye old Yankee :?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Some people just look for a fight or to be shunned, gives them an excuse not to live.

I chose to live life to it's fullest, just let anyone try to stop me, North or South.

Just don't worry to much about what people think of you, be nice to them anyway, maybe someday they will figure out what they missed.

If you smile a lot, they may think you are crazy or know something...:cheesygrin:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

IMO the guy you talked to has a problem, not the folks that are in the different places that he visits.

I travel around a lot, and the only place I ran into any problems was NE Indiana back in '69. went up there on a company job and would be walking down the sidewalk and comment to a passerby "Shore enuff is a nice day, tain't it?"

Their nose would go in the air and that would be it.

Met my wife there in Bluffton IN and she said in her town, if they do NOT know you, then they won't talk to you.

But that is a far cry from getting into fisticuffs over a North/South issue....

I'm outgoing and talk to fence posts, some folks just don't want to get involved.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Good point KB. Yep, I have had many of my relitives fight in past wars to keep us free. I'll be damned if I will feel intimidated in my own country. Myself, I don't see what a war in the 1800's has to do with how we would treat each other today.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

+ 1 to what AZ said. If hes "having words" I'm betting the first ones came from him.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have spent half my life in the north and half in the south. I like the south because the weather allows for human activity for those who wish,almost all 12 months of the year, while the north has long winters that most (I) don't care for. I don't see it as north and south, I see it as a preference that most would would rather live in the south. I obviously cant speak for everyone in the north, but I know that all the people I know, with the exception of maybe 5 people, say that they are miserable living in the north, but are stuck there.......Point being, those who make statements like that are just jealous....

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I always try to see the good in people.

I have traveled north, south, east, and, west and met a whole bunch of nice people.

I guess you find what you look for.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

I'm from the north and live in the south. When I come across someone that wants to start an argument about north and south I just tell them I was born and raised in the U.S.A.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

About 10 years ago we took a short vacation to Vicksburg Miss. I believe the second day we were there it was July 4. We watched fireworks being shot from a barge out
in the Mississippi river. We sat down on main street with a view of the river so we had
a good view. We were sitting next to some locals who were very friendly and they mentioned that only recently Vicksburg returned to celebrating July 4.
Kind of mystified I asked what made them stop if they only recently started celebrating again? She stated it was the date of Vicksburg's surrender to the Union forces that had
placed them under siege. That type of feeling must have run real deep and across more than just one or two generations.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I have a 40 year old nephew and his wife's grandparents came from the Philippines.They both grew up in RochesterNY and jobs took them to Atlanta some years ago. More recently his job has taken him to south Florida. I asked him about the change and hesaid he was thankful to get out of Atlanta due to the prejudice expressed towards his three boys. His boys range in age from8 to 16, they are wonderfully behaved and smart kids and theylooklike their Philippino mother who is beautiful by the way.

This came as a suprise to me since I don't have occasion to see this in central NY.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I have spent half my life in the north and half in the south. I like the south because the weather allows for human activity for those who wish,almost all 12 months of the year, while the north has long winters that most (I) don't care for. I don't see it as north and south, I see it as a preference that most would would rather live in the south. I obviously cant speak for everyone in the north, but I know that all the people I know, with the exception of maybe 5 people, say that they are miserable living in the north, but are stuck there.......Point being, those who make statements like that are just jealous....
Since I have been able to travel a little more as I grow older, I have come to realize that I love the North in the summer and hate it in the winter. I wouldn't mind it if it was only a couple months of winter, but 5 solid months sucks!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

"I have traveled north, south, east, and, west and met a whole bunch of nice people."

Lived in Chicago, Memphis, Texas, Florida and back to Illinois and never had issues, but then I didn't go around with my nose in the air like lot's of "superior" northerners do when South. Too many act that way and it looks like they are visiting another planet, and no ones likes that attitude.
Also noticed lot's more racial issues in the North than Memphis and small Mississippi towns I was in. Used to go eat and shop in places I wouldn't go near in the North.
Depends on you attitude. IMO.
There are jerk-offs all over.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I have lived all my 55 yrs in the same little town in Fl . What gets me is the ones who move down south . Then theycomplain about how we do everything . How much better it was" back home " and they want us to change our ways .

If it was so much better "back home " ,I have found I-75 and I-95 have 2 lanes going north,perhaps they could use them .:ROFL:

As to your reference to the Civil War , I dont have a problem about that . I dont even know anyone stillliving from 1865 .

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

My wife and I have ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway, ridden The Natchez Trace, been to New Orleans (by bike), and rode to Texas and got married....

We've been south......

and have always been treated with courtesy, respect, and concern....by all races....by all people. We like it down there....

One of our best memories is a 4th of July weekend we once spent in the charming, historical, and welcoming town of Lexington, Virginia.

Anybody from the north that can't get along down south, well, look inward, brother, look inward....

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

the only time i have any kind confrontation,we were in massachusetts,on the 4th of july and after watching fire works and other shows, on the way out of the parking lot the exit necked down to one lane,so people were doing a good job one from this lane and one from that one we got there and this dude cuts my dad off and yelling profanities, and then,then call us #%^&en RED NECKS well dad had to come and get me of of jail! my mom told me all see saw was me running over the top of the car, and telling that dude red neck i will show you a #$%^en RED NECK!!!! that was about 33 yrs. ago.i have gone back east, afew time since then all good

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

He!!, I like yankees just fine as long as they are headed north.:ROFL:
Just kiddin', I like everyone until they give me reason not to. I have ran into several holier than thou northerners, and Californiers (they are the worst about spouting how much better it is where they came from) and I don't mind telling them the road that got them here goes the other way also.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Never had an issue with the southern hospitality. Never met a forum member from the south who hasn't been anything but a great person.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
My wife and I have ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway, ridden The Natchez Trace, been to New Orleans (by bike), and rode to Texas and got married....

We've been south......

and have always been treated with courtesy, respect, and concern....by all races....by all people. We like it down there....

One of our best memories is a 4th of July weekend we once spent in the charming, historical, and welcoming town of Lexington, Virginia.

Anybody from the north that can't get along down south, well, look inward, brother, look inward....
Well that's not fair, who could possibly mistreat you two?

Your too damn nice as it is!

But like someone else said, you get what ever it is you set out looking for.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I like people in general. I am the guy who will just chat ya up while in line at walmart...or will stop if you are broke down. The world is full of haters from the North, South, East and West. I'm just proud to be part of the biker community. Real people!!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

There's the story of the old boy sitting on his front porch. A guy stops and asks "Hey old timer. I'm thinking of moving here. What kind of people live here?"

The old timer replied "What kind of people live where you're from?"

The guy answers "They're arrogant, stuck up, most unfriendliest people on earth."

The old timer replies "That's the same kind of people you'll find here."

A bit later another guy stops and says to the old timer "I'm thinking of moving here. What kind of people live here?"

The old timer asks "What kind of people live where you're from?"

The man answers "They're the nicest, most friendly, caring people on earth."

The old timer responds "That's the same kind of people you'll find here."

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.