Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi to all! My battery was about to die, but I think that I managed to repair it, at least for a while. I know that 90% of people will just go and buy a new one, but ifanyone wants to try to repair it.... Here isthe point: during the battery's life, the lead plates inside it crumbs due to the vibrations, chemical processes etc. That lead dust goes on the bottom and deposites there cousing the short circuits between the plates and killing the battery. Here what you should do (don't forget to wear the safetygloves and glasses because of the acid!): remove all the caps from the battery and drain the acid out. Then get a water hose and put it tight on one of the holes and let the water go. The water will go in through one hole and fill all the cells inside the battery, as they are connected. Then the water will go out under pressure through the free holes. Remove the hose. Take the battery, turn it upside down and shake it as strongest as you can until all the water goes out. Repeat that atleast 10 - 15 times. Get a smallhammer and tap thebatteryeverywhere from outside to improve the releasing of the dirt.Together with water a lot of dirt will go out. It would be good if you could continue with washing until clean water starts going out, but I stopped after one hour, when the pain in my armsbecame too strong. Anyway, with the battery washed up, keep shaking it until all the water comes out. Then it would be good to blow the inside with compressed air, to be sure that no water remained. Then buy the 35% sulphuric acid (you should find it ina same shop which sales the batteries) and fill up every cell to upper level. Now you should charge the battery (with the electric charger) and that's it! As I said, my battery was quite bad, I had to charge it every few days. I repaired it two months ago and it is still good, despite the low temperature outside.

Good luck! Alex

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

let us know how long the battery lasts.If I was stuck somewhere and couldn't get a new one I'd try your trick.But I'd be willing to bet you battery's total amperage is lower then a new battery due to the weakened/crumbled state of the lead plates, but what the heck it worked for you.,,

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

There is a process called equalizing - it is actually overcharging the battery in a controlled state to actually clean the plates. It's done with Motorhome batteries on a yearly bases, but do not know if it can be done with motorcycle batteries. We need a battery guru.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

thanks for the info. question. you said it wouldn't hold carge for more than 2 days. after the cleaning process it will hold the charge as a good battery or how many days it will take to discharge?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

here in mexico a cheap chinese battery for a goldwing goes for about $140 bucks. so recovering a battery to use while you can travel to the us is worth the try than paying a lot for a cheap-ass battery. i bought a walmart battery for 45 bucks and is even bettery quality than chinese.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well, for sure it is not as good as a new one- but it works so far! I'll let you know if/when it breaks.

William_86: I repaired and charged it about two months ago. It still works, I didn't have to recharge again.

Alex

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

I have been using the Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries in my bikes, no acid to worry about, they can be found at local auto stores for around $80 and they last alot longer.

GOD Bless,
jerry

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Hey Jar, he might not have a pep boys or auto zone close by lol, his post is from Yugoslavia. I didn't notice that until today.,,,

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
here in mexico a cheap chinese battery for a goldwing goes for about $140 bucks. so recovering a battery to use while you can travel to the us is worth the try than paying a lot for a cheap-ass battery. i bought a walmart battery for 45 bucks and is even bettery quality than chinese.
Next time you're in Laredo, stop by the Batteries Plus and get you a good AGM battery next time. Will last a good long while...

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
Hey Jar, he might not have a pep boys or auto zone close by lol, his post is from Yugoslavia. I didn't notice that until today.,,,
Well, you didn't notice until now, so my English is not so bad, is it? :grinner:

Yep, over here we are not able to buy anything from a foreign country via Internetbecause some crazycommerciallaw makes the payment next to impossible. I tried to buy the timing belts on ebayoncebut I had to give up, as I literally had no legal way to pay to the seller. Furthermore,neither Yugoslavia or Serbia are listed in the Paypal country list. I had to buy the belts from some Yap bikes dealer overhere and to pay 50 Euros per each! The only Honda partsdealer we have over here sells the parts only for '90th up bikes. The parts for old wings are very rare and therefore very expensive.

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

It's amazing how you can type without an accent.lol It's got to be a pita not to be able to get what you need.A friend of mine does some overseas business and it can be frustrating, but necessity is the mother of invention , and you just proved it.Keep the old girl runnin.,,

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

The New owner, That my friend is southern ingenuity, shade tree fixin. When they ain't none you do what you gotta do. I think the acid you refer to is know as specific gravty 1275 here in the states. You can get hotter acid but not for the novice to play with. Seems like from your post you have a pretty fair knowledge of the battery composition. Hope she stays trouble free for many miles(k's) :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
imported post

One other thing to remember is that the acid and other material contains lead. Disposing of it is difficult. I knew someone who had some land with a quarry. He used to go down there and smash batteries for the lead. The wrong person found out. Things really got ugly fast. EPA really frowns on heavy metals. Lead mercury etc. Make a long story short he lost his land and the tax payers ended up paying lots to clean up the site. $100 AGM sounds good to me!;)

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

My 2 cents! I contemplated cleaning out a battery once but had enough on hand the last time one went bad that I just bought a new one. I take the cheaper route and go to Batteries + or NAPA with the old one and get a new wet cell. They last two years plus. The battery in my GS has gotten awful thirsty. I need to refill it every two weeks. In a month the level will drop to the plates. Any way to rectify this?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna, I didn't notice his location either, that would make it a bit tougher finding what he needs for sure.

GOD Bless,
jerry

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

The battery in my GS has gotten awful thirsty. I need to refill it every two weeks. In a month the level will drop to the plates. Any way to rectify this?
The battery is probably being overcharged which will boil it dry.

Check the charge voltage.
I bet it'll be over 14.5 volts.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Looked at the charge a while back, when the thirst began and found it to be OK. It will also go dry on the Battery Tender which makes me think its the battery. I'll try swapping the Tender for the Wing with the one for the GS just to see if that makes a difference.

The battery is a bit old now, maybe going on its fourth year. Since I feel I've gotten my monies worth I wasn't thinking there was anyway to correct it,just thought I'd ask.

THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

What I used to do was drain the battery. Fill it with distilled water and 'bubble' (charge) it, for a day or two, or until I figured it was clean enough. Some of the batteries had a clear case, so I could see between the plates. This made it easier. I just kept dumping, filling and charging until it was cleaned out.

After I got it as 'clean' as I could, I filled it with new electrolyte. I nursed batteries along for years like this.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

ok i just washed one battery like 10 times, very tired. will rest for about 20 mins and continue. yes lots of lead dirt coming out everytime. now last time i shaked it was less but will do another couple of times. then will get the acid and report to you!, i still have my walmart battery on the box. lol if this doesn't work ill install it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.