Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Getting ready to put my 79 GL1000 to rest for the season, it has developed a problem. The left-side points only fire when they want to. The right side fires consistantly, but the left will fire for a while, then quit. After a bit, they'll fire a few times then quit again.

I have replaced both sets of points and checked the timing. Same results. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? I hate to set it up for the winter knowing that somethings wrong. Thanks:?:(:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

When you say that the left side points or right side points don't fire, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean the left side or right side plugs don't fire?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would suspect a bad coil.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,526 Posts
imported post

Since the points don't fire the right or left plugs, they fire the front or the rear plugs either that is not the problem or you have misstated what you intend to say.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

With the cover off, the points on the left side of the plate only fire at times. Not per revolution like the right side.

·
Administrator
26,526 Posts
imported post

Could be a short or bad connection in the wiring between the points and the coil or the contact surface is not clean.

Why do you want to put it away for the winter, it will warm up in a few days and you will want to ride.:action:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Davogd430, this is a project bike, that a man gave me to haul off, that I'm trying to bring to life for my wife. I ride an 86 Cavalcade Custom, that never gets put up.

·
Administrator
26,526 Posts
imported post

Why can't I get lucky and someone give me a bike?
Is the problem consistent enough you can do some checking for power to the points and continuity through the wiring and contacts?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Davogd430, at this time, I have the 79 goldwing, 86 Cavalcade Custom, 86 Cavalcade Full-Dress, 82 1100 goldwing, 82 KZ1100 and 82 GS550 in my shop. (all rideable) I've got less than 1000 invested in the purchase of all. and that was for the 2 Cavalcades. The rest were scape yard bound. More than that in bringing them back up, but that's another story. As for my present problem, yes. It will fire for, lets say, 2 or 3 min. then quit for a while, then start firing again, then quit again.

·
Administrator
26,526 Posts
imported post

In that case you could attach a volt meter to the points and wait to see if it looses power when it stops firing. Then depending on what the meter does is where to go next.

If your shop is overfull or the next time someone throws a bike at you give me a shout. We are not that far apart.:)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

after the wiering checks out---did you also replace the condnser set ? ?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I think that generally if the points and condenser are working properly you don't see the points arc. First thing I would check and clean up would be the bullet connections to the forward end of the battery case where the condensers plug in....

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I need to add this as I forgot earlier. No, I haven't changed the condensors,yet. When I have the ignition on (bike not running) using a test light, I have power on the wire attatched to the right side points. Always. Left side, sometimes yes, sometimes no.:?

·
Administrator
26,526 Posts
imported post

If the points are closed when you check it the test light will not light, the points ground and kill the power. If when you check it the points are open then you have a bad connection somewhere or a shorted condenser which I doubt.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Gonna check the voltage consistancy tomorrow and replace the condensor( just in case), and clean all the wire connectors. If that doesn't work, then I'll shed some more tears on here later. Thanks for all the input and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

No need to replace the condensor yet. Just swap the 2 wires that come out of the condensor assembly. If the problem moves to the other set of points, then that would confirm a bad condensor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.