Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have officially begun!

This is a 1980 GL1100i barn find bike. It has been sitting for 14 years or so inside my friends barn under cover. I was poking around one day and found it. I asked if I could buy it and we worked out a sweet deal ($1000). It looks great and only has 18k miles on it.

I carefully dismantled all the body parts to get to the meat of the bike and started with the brake calipers since one was frozen (pain to move bike). They went quickly with no surprises. Still have the master cylinders to go.

I shot PB blaster in the cylinders and turned the engine over. No problems so far so on to the carbs. I bought some rebuild kits and thought that would be all I needed.This is where I would like to make a plug for Randakk's master carb kit. I wish so very much that I had bought this right up front! I have now paid waymorefor the rest of the parts to do the job correctly than ifI had just got his right away. So many peopleon this boardrecommend it and now I do too. Hind sight is always 20/20 you know.:crying:

I did purchase Howard Halasz' GL100 Carburetor Repair Guide so I did make one good choice. That book has helped me a lot. I am now in the middle of the carb rebuild but have to stop and wait for more parts.

Here's a shot of the bike when I brought it home:

Hereit is now:

And hereare the carbs being rebuilt. I use a clean drip panto keep eveything organized.It may not look but thereare 4 quardantsto keep each carb separate. This is not the first carburetor I have rebuilt this way and it hasworked good for me.

I would love to here comments and suggestions so please let me know.

That's all for now. I'll post more as I go.

/Phil

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

First thing I'm going to suggest is that you pack up that front fender and send it to me for thorough inspection...it looks dangerous! :D

Honestly, nice find Phil, and it sounds like you're on the right path.

Now, before you even consider putting the carbs back on that bike and trying to start it...

Give this post a read Resurrecting An Old Goldwing

Pay close attention to everything but the carb section. You won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Congradulations and WELCOME to the worlds greatest goldwing forum. If you can't figure it out someone on here can. Many many years and over several million miles of expierence here to help you out. Nice find, I'm sure you will enjoy it once you get it up and running.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Nice find. It's not even rusty. Motor looks like new in the pic. Nice to see the old bikes coming back to life. Get her done, you've only got four to five months till road trip season. By the way, if the honey do list gets in the way, burn it and lie. lol

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

That's a nice looking Wing and properly restored it will make you a great ride for many years. The folks here on this forum are great and will be more than happy to help with advise, sources for parts and just a little extra encouragement when needed.
:clapper:

:cheeky1:I too am starting my restoration of an 81 GL1100 Interstate. I have been riding it daily since I got it back in July but now that the weather is setting in I pulled her in and started stripping her down today. The picture next to this post was right after I got her.
:11ltblue:

The list is long but I have all winter and not in any rush. I have a different set of forks as the old ones leak and a new set of seals did not solve the problem. I bought another set of seals that are supposed to be guaranteed not to leak but I'll believe that when I see it.
:cheeky1:

New oil, filter and new coolant are all on the list as are new timing belts.Brakes and tires are still good but I have to get my cooling fan working on automatic. I had to run a separate switch to get the fan to come on or overheat in traffic. A new thermal switch I think is the fix there.
:goofygrin:

I am planning to have the body work done that is needed and get her a new coat of paint. New running lights to install, chrome radiator grill and a new set of chrome valve covers.
;)

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best thing to use to restore chrome? Most of the chrome is in rather good shape but I want her to shine like a new penny when complete.
:baffled:

I have an air ride setup from an Aspy I hope to install and am working on getting a Clarion II set up so I will have CB and intercom along with the stereo. Still have a few pieces to gather.
:doh:

I added a set of wind wings to the windshield about a month ago and man was that a great investment! It REALLY cuts down the wind and has let me ride for several week here that would have been too cold without them. They adjust back for the summer to allow more airflow when desired.
:banana:

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck to you.
:action:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

that's not a barn find it's a showroom steal at that price
before anyone else says it, CHANGE THE TIMING BELTS BEFORE YOU TRY TO START IT, honestly she looks good

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

For chrome restoration, try "Autosol". It comes in a squeeze tube. Cost is a lil high but your getting a quality product.

On your restoration of that awesome looking wing, you will need timing belts like others have stated. If they fail, you look for a new motor!

i would trash the tires for your safety. I would also be looking at fork seals, "O" rings, things like that that dont sustain long dry out periods.

Look for your stator wires as they rise up from the left rear of your engine and hide behind your battery cover. There you will see the 3 yellow wires go into a white plastic plug connector. This connector is a high failure part & should be cut out & hard wired.

your clutch might work like a charm or it might be stuck from sitting but they will break loose.

You should also swap out your brake fluid via bleeding

Nice bike!!!!

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

I like the bike. NICE color

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I have already purchased the new timing belts and will change them before I start it. I am also completely re-building the calipers, master cylinders and will try to get all new brake lines. Haven't looked for new ones yet. Anyone know where to fine a new set?

I am restoring all the aluminum parts as I go. I am using all the tips I have read form this board and have gotten them to look like chrome! Thanks to everyone for that!
I will post some pics of the before and after on those parts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Since I am waiting for some parts I have been polishing up some for the aluminum parts. Here is a before and after shot of one of the carburetor piston caps (sorry for the blurry pics)

You can see the peeling clear coat here even though the picture is so burry.

I used paint stripper to get the old clear coat off. After that I used fine steal wool to getthe restof the crud off. Then I used a polishing wheel on my drill with jewlers rouge. A little elbow grease (but not too much) and this is the result. It is very close to chrome!

More to come...
/Phil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.