Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got some great news today. Now I've mentioned before how my uncle was my big brother as a kid and was the one who got my family into motorcycles. Well, my father announced that this would probably be his last year riding, so I hatched an idea for a final ride with him. That we would go for a ride to Romney,West Virginia to visit family on the bikes (this did not go over well with my brothers). Well, my uncle told my dad today that he was looking at buying a brand new 650 this spring. My father then told him about our plans for the trip, my uncle immiediately asked if he could join in on the ride. This is something that I could only have dreamed of, in fact, it's beyond what I would have dreamed of.

Now my father has never done a long ride before, so I told him we would have to go on a few 150 to 200 mile rides with meto see how he handles it before I would agree to the ride, as you all know there's a big difference between local riding and a long ride. To my surprise he agreed to the condition, and apparently my uncle agreed as well. We've agreed that we will be taking a longer route that will keep us of the big highways and traffic and allow for a longer though more scenic route. It felt really awkward having to tell my father that he had to prove to me that he could handle the ride first. Talk about life coming around backwards.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Congrats Richard!!! :clapper:

This will be a memory for the rest of your life! Enjoy the moments, memories, and most importantly, the ride!! :action:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I'm probably either older or as old as your father. When I first read your post, I was kind of insulted, but after reading it again, that was not only cleaver but a good thing you have done, about some short rides first. Remember he could have agreed because you asked and just didn't want to say no, but the shorter rides could give him a way out if necessary, and he would save face as well, as well as the aches and pains of a long ride when you get older.

I think you did well.:action::action:

I wish you all the best and hope it happens the way you like. I had to decline my son's invitation to Sturgess this year, as some old back problems have been catching up with me.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I still remember every detail of my last ride with my father, and it's been 15 years.

Grand Ave/F-90 out of Des Moines to De Soto, up Hwy 169 through Iowa to Mountain Iron, MN (with a tour around Blue Earth hunting the elusive 60' tall Green Giant statue that we never did find), then winding back down through Minneapolis to hook up 13, then Hwy 69 in Iowa back to Des Moines, just him on his '77, me on my '80.

God what a great 3 days that was! Dad, I want you to know that I treasure that trip to this day, and only wish there could have been more like that.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

OK, I've been talked into it. I just called my son and said, remember when I backed out of the Sturgess run?, well, I'm going to try it. I thought he was going to cry, perhaps he did. I will go as far as I can maybe it will take a little longer, but then I have time.

Thanks RichardWg and MDKramer for showing me the other side.:)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob;

I never once had a chance to ride with my dad. He was anti-motorcycle- sort of. A machinist, he taught me and my brother how to fix the damn things ;)

But fun times with him, were precious few. He always had his nose into "another job" trying to make enough money to keep our family out of the poor house.

Hard times, and huge medical bills put a heavy load on his back.

I go out of my way trying to be with my son as much as I possibly can. Those fun times will end way too soon.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Spiderbob, if your son didnt't tear up (and I have no doubt he did), I did for him. I'm honored that I gave you a reason to change your mind. These are best things we leave to our children, memories. One of the main things I want to get out of this trip is a picture of all us with the bikes parked under the big ol' road sign "Welcome to West Virginia". I'm going to have an 8 x 10 made of it for him.

BTW: part of the big deal here is that my dad is from W. Va., and he tries to get back at least once evry year to visit family.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Your so right, I feel good about my decision. It will be a once in a lift time event for us. Not that others would not count, this one will be special.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

That sounds like a fantastic ride. I grew up in Wyoming County mostly in East Bethany and Middlebury townships. I have ridden that area and the area you are going to quite a bit. Plan on stopping in and looking at some of the elk viewing area's in Elk County Pa. Depending on time of year you may not see anything (elk wise) but it is beautiful country and some great roads with good excuses to stop and spend a few minutes of quiet time. I particularly like route 120 from Renovo over toward Driftwood.

For one of your local rides try going down to Warsaw and East on 20A to the top of the hill. Turn Right on Merchant Rd and follow that around to Oatka Rd to Silver Lake. Merchant has one of the finest views in the area and there are plenty of nice places at the Lake to get a goodlunch. We usually eat at that old Drive Inn that has been converted into a mini amusmentarea (Can't remember the dang name!). Pretty sure they also do a weeklyClassic Car night during the Summer and your 1100 would fit in nicely. From there you can pick up 39 back to 20A back to your neighborhood.

I ride for at least a week a year with my Dad. I treasure that time and the time at Deer Season I get to spend with him. Never miss a chance to do something like this.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

heck.... I still recall my father-in-law wanting to ride behind me (25 yeqars ago) and my mother-in-law in our first sidecar

go for it!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I was born and raised in Wyoming Co. West Virginia, and I try to get back that way every couple of years. I still have a lot of family back that way, and I get to missing it at times, and wish my dad was still alive so that I would have more reason to get back that way.:(

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Bob, I agree with Richard on this one...But then again, I had to compose myself before going back to work this afternoon after posting that because it all rolled in with a vengeance and I got to missing my dad a little.

I guarantee it'll be trip that'll be remembered for the rest of all involved's lives.

Bob, it looks like I may end up going to Sturgis this year (Gina really wants to go ONE time in her life, and she's picked this year), so if you make the trip, I'd love to meet up with you.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

That was my backyard growing up. I was born in Batavia and grew up in Stafford. Still do a lot of deer hunting on "top of the world", over the West Middlebury Baptist Church. My grandfather had a cottage on silver lake, it was 2 roads down from the silver lake golf course. And yes, they still do the car show every year.

We usually cut through that area and then head up to the south end of Letchworth State Park and follow the river down to the dam. One of my favorite rides to this day though is going down the Oatka trail, just weaving alongside the water beneath a canopy of trees.

Whiskerfish wrote:
That sounds like a fantastic ride. I grew up in Wyoming County mostly in East Bethany and Middlebury townships. I have ridden that area and the area you are going to quite a bit. Plan on stopping in and looking at some of the elk viewing area's in Elk County Pa. Depending on time of year you may not see anything (elk wise) but it is beautiful country and some great roads with good excuses to stop and spend a few minutes of quiet time. I particularly like route 120 from Renovo over toward Driftwood.

For one of your local rides try going down to Warsaw and East on 20A to the top of the hill. Turn Right on Merchant Rd and follow that around to Oatka Rd to Silver Lake. Merchant has one of the finest views in the area and there are plenty of nice places at the Lake to get a goodlunch. We usually eat at that old Drive Inn that has been converted into a mini amusmentarea (Can't remember the dang name!). Pretty sure they also do a weeklyClassic Car night during the Summer and your 1100 would fit in nicely. From there you can pick up 39 back to 20A back to your neighborhood.

I ride for at least a week a year with my Dad. I treasure that time and the time at Deer Season I get to spend with him. Never miss a chance to do something like this.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Wow the world gets smaller again! My Family has a camp in Dale on the Vernal road. We bought 20 Acres of scrub in the early 70's and that is our base camp each Deer Season.Just a14x70 trailerat the top of the hill on Vernal from Dale Village. It is back off the road behind the County Gravel storage area in the first hard curve. We hunt there and I spend a Lot of time in the Block sandwiched between the Gennesee County Park and Route 20 in Bethany off the East Road. I actually grew up in Lancaster but all our kin were in Batavia, Bethany, and Leroy. We spent most every weekend either in Bethany or East Bethany with Aunts and Uncles and Cousins. I have been up there most every Season since the 70's. It would not surprise me at all if we have not met in those woods.

"Top of the World" are you talking about Skates hill or the the "State" lands to the southof Middlebury road?

Richardrwg wrote:
That was my backyard growing up. I was born in Batavia and grew up in Stafford. Still do a lot of deer hunting on "top of the world", over the West Middlebury Baptist Church. My grandfather had a cottage on silver lake, it was 2 roads down from the silver lake golf course. And yes, they still do the car show every year.

We usually cut through that area and then head up to the south end of Letchworth State Park and follow the river down to the dam. One of my favorite rides to this day though is going down the Oatka trail, just weaving alongside the water beneath a canopy of trees.

Whiskerfish wrote:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I grew up in Northfork, W.Va. (McDowell County) and I try to get back every year too. Beautiful country and great roads to ride all thru the state. I wish you the best on your ride with your father and uncle!:action:

Bernie

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

It is a small world to say the least. I not only grew up in WV Mercer County but still live here in Monroe Co. And yes there are some very beautiful country roads to ride here. Just a typical ride for me and my wife usually covers around 150 to 200 miles and never leave the state.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

When I turned 16 I got an Allstate Moped to go to and from work.We wern't loaded with$$$ My dad (who is still the greatest loss of my life)rode it one day.The whole family was surprised,when he came back he had a grin from ear to ear.(I think those early mopeds were a lot better then todays ones) He passed away shortly after that.
Take the ride with your dads.And Dads ride with your sons. You both will be richer for it.If my son would I'd suffer any pain to take a trip with him.
(he doesn't ride as he is an addict) I hate alcohol and druge for what they have done to him.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

oldnisterbill, you are so right. One picture I am looking forward to is the photo of us with oour bikes in front of the "Welcome to West Virginia" sign. I'm going to have it made into an 8 x 10 so each of us can hang it on the wall and never forget the ride. Although I have no doubt my dad will also want a smaller one that he can take with him to show off. There will be other pics taken along the way, but that one will be the highlight.

There is one peice of bad news I received however regarding the trip. My uncle is looking at buying a Kawasake.....oh the horror,lol. I do understand his point though, Kawasake is the only one offering a brand new 550. In this economy you would think the other manufacturers would see the value in bring back more of the midsize bikes. There is a growing demand for the midsize bikes by people who are looking for an economical bike for transportation, but don't want a big bike.

On a personal note, I'm sorry to hear about your son, I can only imagine the pain this causes you. So many of us grew up and had our time in the drug scene, realized the cost and left it before it ruined our lives. I also have friends and family that have fallen into the trap and now have lost so much. I ahve an uncle who was/is a man of great intellect and ability. He was an on demand troubleshooter for companies like Kodak, Xerox and other companies. They would call him up and send him literally all over the world to fix complex technical issues, he has many inventions that he patented. Now he has become a hermit in a rundown home that leaves only to get more alcohol. We haven't turned our backs on him, but it hurts so much to see his life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.