Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On our first trip, and on our first real long-distance touring bike, an 81' Goldwing Interstate, Red and I didn't know a thing. We had our first tent, our first sleeping bags, our first stove.... and a blessed unawareness of how far it was from Washington State to Texas.

Crossing the Columbia River at Biggs Junction, with the wind blowing andmarching wind waves fully four to five feet high in the river far below, we had our first awareness that we were embarked upon something very special.

"Omigawd," shouted Red over the wind's roar. "Lookit the river! Lookit the river!" She clung to me like a spider monkey while I laughed like a maniac, trying to keep the bike moving at what seemed to be a constant 45 degree angle. "Hang on, hang on, baby!" I shouted back to her (we didn't have an intercom then). "Whatever you do, don't fall off! That's gonna ruin your whole day!" She didn't.

The next morning, we were first awed by the unmatched beauty of Crater Lake National Park in eastern Oregon-- cobalt blue and angel white in the burning sunlight-- where we romped around and threw snow at each other like grade school kids, and then rode off together on that wonderous road, Hwy 199, all the way to Crescent City, California, where I first learned how to deal with a "closed campground." "Go on in there, hun, " I told my tired partner. "Make your eyes real big and teary and your self real pitiful, and tell the clerk you're too tired to go on..... ask if they have space for just one little tent!" She was back in minutes, with a folded garbage bag clinched in her hands and a mischieveous grin on her face. "That nice man said "I" could pitch "my" tent right over there under that big tree," she laughed. And we did, first pitching the tent we would own for years and years and would pitch a hundred times.

The next morning we first saw the Pacific from the saddle of a motorcycle, the swelling waves pounding the black rocks below, the white spray exploding into the air. "For the first time in my life," I said to her. "I know what I'm gonna do.... I'm gonna spend the rest of my life riding this motorcycle and laughing with you!" Stunned by the beauty around us, we both first knew we were to be partners forever.

A few days later we were through Bakersfield, Barstow, and the Mojave Desert, and we strolled to a lookout where we first saw the Grand Canyon. We stood struck dumb with wonder, and with the first awakening of an almost religious spirit that would come to us from our riding and permeate both of our beings. "How could anyone look at this, " breathed Red, "and not believe in some sort of meaning to the Universe?"

But later, at a Chevron Station near the Grand Canyon campground, we saw a couple with two small children in a very large luxury SUV, a Suburban maybe, brand new and expensive..... but with the children both sobbing forlornly in their restraining seats and the couple, their chubby faces reddened with anger and beaded with sweat, arguing violently with each other. Suddenly, they began a silly, awkward, and an embarrassing tug of war over the gas pump hose.

And then Red turned to me, her large eyes brimming with tears...... "What are they doing," she whispered. "Are they fighting over who's gonna put gas in the car?" I wrapped her with my arms. "Yup, buddy.....," I said. "'Fraid so...."

"Omigawd," Red sobbed. "They're gonna fight about that!? Here? At the Grand Canyon?" She couldn't quite grasp the reality of it and she turned into my arms, and then I first realized, that, yes, what we had -- our riding and our seeing things together --was special, and would be long enduring, and would carry us through both troubles and pain, joy and misery.

"It's okay, darlin," I said, I think for the first time. "It's okay.. we're gonna be fine... you and me and that old bike of ours....we're gonna be okay!"

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Great story CJ.

Adds to my anticipation of next summers adventure. When I bought my first wing I flew into Medford Oregon and the previous owner picked me up and drove to his home an hour "up the hill" towards Crater Lake. I rode up to the gate all excited and stopped. I turned and rode straight down to Laguna Seca speedway in Monterey, CA where my sweetheart was waiting for me to return with the wing to start our serious adventures. Crater Lake would have to wait for me to share it with my best friend. Well that day is coming - and it is 07/26/09 :cool:

Also, I look forward to crossing the Columbia leaning the other 45 degrees heading North! - LOL :action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

What gone before I could read it??? :baffled:

I hope it's coming back, because I know it just had to be great.;)

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

wadda my missing???

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

CJ, Why'd you do that, it was a good one.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Not even any 2nd's, 3rd's, etc. Maybe he wrote it with invisible ink! :dude:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Maybe he's building that blog he was talking about doing.
That would be an ideal way to showcase his extensive works.
I know a lot of folks look forward to his releases.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I feel like I got robbed:crying:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Sorry, guys...... no more stories! :cheeky1:

I offend certain long-standing members of this forum with them..... and I can take a hint!

I'll create a blog for myself, soon as I figure out how!

Think I'll just layback and not contribute much, and take cheap shots at those who do! Hell, if I get good enough at it, maybe they'll make me a moderator!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Winger, pm coming..........

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I for one am sorry to hear you are not posting your writings, I really enjoyed them.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, as far as I'm concerned, those long standing members can go take a short hike off a tall cliff. I've never seen you post anything that should bother anybody when it comes to you telling a story about rides you've taken or plan to do. Keep posting and to heck with anyone that doesn't like them. They don't have to read them, it's not like they're forced to read them.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

So last year some one ticked off Randakk and he left us . Now Cousin Jack is retracting his short stories cause someone had there feathers ruffled ? What the heck .:(

Well maybe we can find his stories in book form soon .

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

I can't imagine anyone being offended by anything you have written in your stories Maybe someone was just plain jealous because you are so much better at it than anyone else on here.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I havent seen anything in Jacks stories that should offend.

If there is someone here who doesnt like them, they should learn to look at the column that shows who started a thread, and learn to not read that thread.

I say if Axe doesnt have to wield his weapon, and Steve's guidelines are honored, Keep posting Jack.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

CJ,
I'd like to see you keep the stories coming . . . you have a real gift. Please keep us informed about where to catch up with your future writings.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

ME TOO---what the above said !

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

To me CJ is pretty cool. Just someone who has actually lived a few adventures and has a way to say things that touch the soul. Very few people in this world have that gift.

I think PMS has struck(parked motorcycle syndrome) .

Kit

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
I for one am sorry to hear you are not posting your writings, I really enjoyed them.
+1 ditto :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Guys,

I have PM'ed CJ and I await his reply. I have never seen the need to swing the AXE on him, and enjoy his posts as i believe do the majority of members.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.