Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
That was 10 years ago, so I don't really remember, but if I stated they came off without removing the exhaust headers, I'm sure they did. I haven't worked on that area of the bike in a long time.

One thing to take note of is the lower engine mount bolt. Paul said he tapped it in, or some such. I think that's important.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nevermind; apparently the answer to this one is, 'a solid, expletive-filled hour-and-a-half, and a deadblow hammer.'>:)

As for getting it back in, well....

I did indeed tap the bolt in, but I tell ya... once it was free, that thing just DID NOT want to come out... No matter which way I twisted, pushed, and pulled...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Left side (rider's perspective, clutch side)... I figured since the Carb rack comes out from that side, it would be the side to start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What do you mean by 'LGA' in the thread title?
It's a bit of an in-joke. Then again, one never knows, it could, in fact, be completely true....

Seeing as how this is supposed to be a 'grand adventure' on my 50th birthday, I started this plan by calling it the 'Last Great Adventure'. Now, I get it... I might live for 50 more years... But I do have some chronic health conditions and a pretty dismal family history, so even though the term was applied in jest, it's stuck... And become a bit more profound. So i'm keeping it. Who's to say?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update, so the carb rack is now out. I plan on replacing the fuel line and filter, as well as prepping and painting the (previously) silver parts of the motor before it goes back in.

I'll be using the Randakk Master Carb kit. This'll be the first carb rebuild I've done; anyone who's been through the same (No experience, Randakk Kit) have any words of wisdom or 'Gotchas' that I should be aware of?

Or just the usual, 'be thorough, take your time, and follow the directions exactly'...?

I'll be picking up a set of gauges for carb syncing along with the kit, i've seen some good videos that step you through the process, as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, UPDATE...

Nice look to the forum! I go away for a few days and this is what I come back to...

I've been working on the Carb rebuild along with some other things that work alongside, like replacing the fuel lines and filter and generally cleaning the top of the engine block. I'm using Randakk's for the Carb kit and Fuel filter, and i've been unsurprisingly very pleased. I will say, this is the first rebuild for this bike's carbs, and at 80k miles the inside of the carbs looked like they'd been on the Titanic. I'll have to post some before and after pics once i'm finally done... If you're on the fence about doing a carb rebuild on an old bike, I say jump in. Just be detail-oriented and methodical, take plenty of pics for reference (BEFORE you pull it apart)... And BE PATIENT, I'm a pretty patient guy and i've still managed to break a plastic part or two and strip a proprietary screw-head.

It is, however, satisfying work that will absolutely pay off.

I will say I might need some advice on some carb settings, such as setting float level and Idle screw, and rough 'balancing' the carbs on the bench, as is recommended.

·
Administrator
57,646 Posts
Glad you like the forum's new look.
it has been a bit of a surprise for a lot of folks.

one thing we miss right now, is the bike info under your Avatar.
so, will you tell us what bike you are working on?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Glad you like the forum's new look.
it has been a bit of a surprise for a lot of folks.

one thing we miss right now, is the bike info under your Avatar.
so, will you tell us what bike you are working on?
That's odd, it was there on the old forum. And the info is in my profile, What am I missing here? It's an '86 GL1200a Aspencade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ah, I'll have to put it in my signature line, I guess. Thanks.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts