Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The carbs will work better with a paper air filter. Usually a 12 won't even run without the filter.
I'm definitely a paper guy, never been in to gauze filters because of some of the dusty places i've been. Definitely noticed a difference in the mix with it on, hoping the Idle drop works now. It honestly was running pretty well without the air cleaner in place... Gave me a confidence boost that all the work i'd done to the carbs had paid off!

Also trying to troubleshoot the Gear position sensor before I open the engine, would think it would register something at a higher gear, but... Nothing. The indicator on the dash works, as it gives feedback when the key is turned on... Then, nothing. Still looking for the Plug end of the sensor switch, I think it's a 6-position connector if memory serves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
SO, all the brake stuff came in, with the exception of the HEL brake/clutch lines. First off, I want to say that BrakeCrafters makes a great rebuild kit for the calipers... Highly impressed with the fit, finish, and packaging on the parts. I'll be going with their front caliper kit(s) in due course.

I ordered my brake/clutch lines through HEL USA in Pennsylvania, which is handled by an outfit named Moto-Heaven. I should have read up before I ordered from them, as I would have definitely ordered from somewhere else if I'd known how dismal their customer service is. Full disclosure, I know I ordered the week of a major holiday... But I had nothing but poor service from these cats. Their 'customer service line' rang fast busy the entire time I dealt with them, and calls to their 'local'/fax line/answering machine were apparently ignored. Finally I messaged Moto-Heaven via Facebook after no response for 5 days. the person that answered apologized, said they were 'shorthanded for the holidays', and that their brake guy was out.. That they'd have an update on Monday (this was Friday afternoon, having ordered Sunday).

So, Monday morning rolls by, finally around 2pm I hit them up via Facebook again... Nothing. I tried the next morning, as well... Even found the 'brake guy' on FB and tried messaging him. Eventually, around Noon I wrote a quick blurb about my experience in the contact form of the parent company, HEL UK. They responded almost instantly, and things started moving. Apparently the US dealer had been generating so many complaints (over years and years) that HEL had finally JUST assumed control of the HEL USA website, and redirected orders there... Just a couple of days after my order. The gentleman immediately set about fulfilling my order from the UK. Eventually the HEL USA FB guy responded with a bunch of excuses, indicated the brake guy was 'Due in Wednesday' and that I could either get a refund or have them make my lines... The HEL UK rep handled it all. They shipped out in 24 hours. I love HEL UK so far, but Moto-Heaven... Leaves much to be desired.

And now, my lines are stuck, I'm guessing, in customs hell. They left the UK 40 hours ago and haven't posted since. I have a beautifully-rebuilt rear brake caliper mounted, with a 35-year-old brake line just sitting there heckling me. I won't reinstall it, even if it meant I could finally ride this beast around the block, at least. Some things are worth waiting for. So, I guess I'll be piddling about with some other things like plastic repair and making an aluminum blank panel for the lower cowl, and removing the right engine guard for powdercoating.

Also in the wings, I swapped the battery for a nice Deka ETX18L AGM battery, after I killed a cell on the current 'regular' battery by leaving the key on. Got in a new Facet Cube #40171 fuel pump that'll be replacing my stock/possibly leaking one as an upgrade... Really impressed by the build and features of the thing. That'll be in a couple of weeks.

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
or own Forum Member, Lopeha used to be the reseller for HEL in the USA,
but, the intermediate importer started falling down on the job, just like you explained here.

Andy finally just gave it up, contacted HEL UK and told them he was done...

apparently, the importer on this side is still not responding to customers,
all should contact HEL UK, and order direct from them...

this my opinion....

the sad thing is, HEL is a premium product.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
HEL is a premium product.
I haven't even received these things yet... But I will say their UK customer service has been amazing. They indicated that in addition to redirecting the website, that they were actively looking at better distribution in the U.S... I hope they find a good place. I can think of a couple of big outifts down here in Florida that would be up to the task.

Naturally, a full report and review once they're in and installed. I'm excited... This is the one thing standing in the way of me actually riding this bike. It won't be ready for long distances for a little while, but I can at least start getting my sea legs on it.

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
I wonder if Moto-Heaven is related to Sabre cycle, sounds like them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Slight update, I did eventually receive lines from HEL in the UK, but they don't appear to be correct. They're now having me measure and spec my lines so they can make custom replacement lines for me. It's admittedly a PITA, but I do like their product so i'm working on that. Good Lord, I just want to ride...

Baby steps...

Working on some other fixes this weekend, including some Plastic repair and fitting the new Facet Cube fuel pump. Will probably order rebuild kits for the front calipers as well.

Now here's a question. Front left caliper works from the brake handle and apparently shares the same piston size as rear brake caliper; Front right caliper has smaller pistons and is part of the linked brake system as the rears. Do all three share the same size brake pad? I see some conflicting information out there, trying to spec EBC organics for the front to match what I just replaced in the rear, and want to make sure I get the proper part(s)...

EDIT NVM, I just verified all three calipers use the same pad, EBC FA69/3.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts