Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, it is rebuilt and runs after a fashion

We did a carb balance and added some diesel injector cleaner and it was ticking over sweet and seeemed to be revving freely, so i took it for a spin around the block ( about a mile) and as soon as you put it in gear and try and move off it sounds and feels like somebody started a pneumatic pick in the engine.
you have to get about 2000 rpm showing and slip the clutch to get it to go once it does get going it isn't too bad but feels as if its straining and is having trouble revving freely

When i got back it was 'popping' and uneven on tickover again

I am beginning to think the carbs may be giving problems and will have to be pulled and stripped

How on earth do you adjust the mixture screws??????

Starting to think this may not have been one of my better ideas perhaps I should just grow old gracefully instead of trying to recapture my youth!!!

Any more advice will be gratefully received as its many years since I got my hands dirty on vehicle mechanics

Regards Rob

PS I was going to put up a sound file of the engine but it appears you can't post .wav files

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You have to make a tool or buy one..kind of like a flexible cable with a screw driver tip in a cup that you can turn from the handle end..or with small hands and the screw driver tip from a screw driver that that takes multiple heads works too. A little mirror can help too.

I made an adjuster out of a bolt it gave me something to hold on to..I made a special screw driver out of a 1" 10mm bolt. I ground the end to fit the slot and use a mirror to see where the slot of the screw is facing and then with great difficulty and two hands shoved between and around the intakes hold the bolt up into the slot..it ain't pretty but it works.

I can even use a 10mm wrench and turn it while holding it up in the slot and that works too.

Have you synched the carbs yet..low end rpm's are help a lot by good synching..

http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0119/

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Rob

Carbs areproblematic on these especially if they have sat for a while.Minute passages and idle jets clog very easily from varnish and fuel gunk. You might want to look inside your fuel tank to make sure it is clean and give the carbs a goodgoing through.

Not trying to be offensive But your description reminds me of someone that does not have much experience with 4 cylinder wings???? If you are used to the torque curve of a thumper or V-Twin or even an in-line 4 it is an entirely different type of situation. These engines like rpm's. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

I had same problem upon rebirth of my motorcycle so hold on and here goes.

When you do pull the carbs check on the back side of all 4 carbs [the side that goes to the back of the bike] for bad air cutoff valves. Medium to high price for them but part of carb overhaul.

While you are hunting for parts change all of the fluids in the bike; brake fluid,anti-freeze.

Most likely now that have seen the bike run it will get better everytime you fix something on it so do not give up. I did not and after 5 years I now have a sweet motorcycle that turns heads.

The adjustment of carbs are only a small amount caused by adjustment needle locks. Warning do not break off the adjust needles,easy to do and pretty much scrap after that,so do not try to adjust till you turn carbs over and look at what is there.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

miroku800 wrote:
Starting to think this may not have been one of my better ideas perhaps I should just grow old gracefully instead of trying to recapture my youth!!!
You need something like this

http://http://cgi.ebay.ca/MOTORCYCLE-ATV-CARB-MIXTURE-SCREW-ADJUSTING-TOOL_W0QQitemZ370090453097QQihZ024QQcategoryZ43994QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Come on now, buck up. Us motorcycle types can't grow old gracefully.

I'm 70 this year & got my heart set on a Kawa ZZR1200:D

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mine had been sitting in a back pasture for ~6 years. The carbs were jammed with tank sediment, especially at the micro filter at the bowls.

I did the Randakk kit, adjusted the floats and did numerous carb synchs. It runs acceptably now, but definitely complains/clatters below 3k. If I 'lug' the engine below that, sounds like someone running their finger over a comb. Then again I ride mostly two up, so puts added strain on the driveline.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Rob

Carbs areproblematic on these especially if they have sat for a while.Minute passages and idle jets clog very easily from varnish and fuel gunk. You might want to look inside your fuel tank to make sure it is clean and give the carbs a goodgoing through.

Not trying to be offensive But your description reminds me of someone that does not have much experience with 4 cylinder wings???? If you are used to the torque curve of a thumper or V-Twin or even an in-line 4 it is an entirely different type of situation. These engines like rpm's. Just a thought.
No offence taken, My last bike was a GS550E Suzuki in 1980!!! but surely I don't have to rev it to about 3000 rpm and 'slip' the clutch in to get a smooth take off?

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

Actually, when you get it all in good working order it will take off smoothly from low RPMs.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Actually, when you get it all in good working order it will take off smoothly from low RPMs.
Yes they will with someone Wing experienced at the controls.

Last Summer I was on a ride in a very challenging environment with an unfamiliar group. On Gent in particular was having a terrible time of it. It was first gear switchback turns and very steep. He stalled numerous times in very dangerous spots.Once we got out on the open road he was very capable. I did not know him but after the ride I had a chance to talk to him. He was terribly embarrased and swore the bike was"Broke".There was nothing wrong with his Bike.He wasa 40 plus year rider of V-Twinsand now he was on a brand new to him GL1000. He had less than50 miles of experience on the Wing. He was used to the torque af a V-twin and on one he would have easily idled through those turns.He tried to ride the same way and at idle climbing a steep hill the Wingwould buck and stall.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Yep they like it much better above 3000 rpm. These engines should never be lugged.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

cycleman wrote:
Yep they like it much better above 3000 rpm. These engines should never be lugged.
I don't think I am 'lugging' it but as soon as the clutch starts to bite it tries to stall and starts banging and clattering, so i have bitten the bullet and ordered a set of carb kits with the intention of pulling the carbs and cleaning/checking/resetting them.

we'll see what that does to it!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.