Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We put new seals in the exhausts and clamped the crossover tube and the 'thump' is gone and the engine does idle but sounds slightly unhappy and gives the occasional backfire 'pop' I took it for a spin around the block and while it runs it seeems to be straining and vibrating when you try to open the throttle, my thoughts are that the carbs need balancing after standing so long. Any comments as I have never been close to one of these beasts before much less ridden one so don't know what it feels like or sounds like

Someone suggested Diesel injector cleaner instead of seafoam but I am wary of destrying seals etc. will this be OK

Regards Rob

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Congratulations mate, about the carbs, the best would be to take them out and clean them. nothing works better than that, if you do not have a gauge to sync them, you could at least do what they call. bench sync.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd stick with Sea Foam for a fuel system cleaner, there may well be other kinds that work okay and are safe but so many members here have had good results with Sea Foam without any damage it looks to me like the best way to go. Checking the carb synchronization would be worth doing. These bikes are not pleasant to operate with the carbs much out of sync.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I'd stick with Sea Foam for a fuel system cleaner, there may well be other kinds that work okay and are safe but so many members here have had good results with Sea Foam without any damage it looks to me like the best way to go. Checking the carb synchronization would be worth doing. These bikes are not pleasant to operate with the carbs much out of sync.
Hi Paul. I suggested diesel injector cleaner because those poor buggers cant get sea foam there:shock:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

I think you have to synch carbs with gauges because i bench synched my carbs after rebuild and then checked with gauges and wow they were off. Bike didnt run very well either although it would run. After synch with gauges it runs a ton better. carbs need to be synched on each side as a couple and then all together because each cylinder has diffirent compression. Thats how i did mine at least.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Hi Paul. I suggested diesel injector cleaner because those poor buggers cant get sea foam there:shock:
Ah, I forgot about the deprived. I should have noticed miroku800's location. I guess it was his excellent use of English that threw me, one just naturally expects someone with a good grasp of the language would live in North America.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
imported post

They "are" in North America Paul :cheeky1:

It's just that there is a tiny river in between them and us :cooldevil: :cooldevil: :cooldevil:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
It's just that there is a tiny river in between them and us :cooldevil: :cooldevil: :cooldevil:
NowI am confused John, I was referring to miroku800 who appears to be an Englishman or resident thereof. I was surprised he writes understandable English, that fellow from Croydon often doesn't.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

exavid wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
NowI am confused John, I was referring to miroku800 who appears to be an Englishman or resident thereof. I was surprised he writes understandable English, that fellow from Croydon often doesn't.:cooldevil:
Cheeky b----r

Ah will hev yee knaa tha wi in the north of england were learnt te speak in the proper way not leik them heathens tha borrow wor language in other parts o the cuntry an world

I am a true Geordie :clapper:( born within sight and SMELL of the Tyne)

But back to the point I have arranged to borrow a carb balancer for the weekend so will see what transpires and will put some more fuel in the tank with a little injector cleaner and then try the 'colortune' to check mixture, and we shall see what happens

If it 'blows up' I shall 'sue the pants off you' that being the American way :D

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
exavid wrote:
Just out of curiosity would diesel injector cleaner have the same effect as seafoam?

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

What about trying Redex this may be similar to seafoam, not sure but may be worth a try.

Terry (Fellow Geordie)

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

We had a similar problem with our 79 GW and we used Lucas gas treatment. Its kinda expensive but it did the dirty deed. Of course we will take the carbs out in the fall and have them cleaned but this short fixed really worked.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

Crikey!. Haven't heard of Redex in 50 years. Used to use it in my '56 Ford Popular.

OG (son of a Geordie)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you can get your hands on a bottle of the stuff, what you need is "Forte fuel treatment" damn near impossible to buy as it is trade only, but if you can find a local garage that will sell you a bottle ( about £14 +VAT) it is brilliant stuff.

My pet mechanic uses it and I couldn't believe the difference when he ran it through the system on my 1500. She was running pretty good, but an application fo that Forte made a world of difference.

Failing that, pop into your local Yamaha dealer and buy some Yamaha carb cleaner
many people swear by that too.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

T.Hambley wrote:
You can get "Forte fuel treatment"on E bay £10 a bottle plus postage.

Terry
Well found Terry, worth the money I reckon!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Failing that, pop into your local Yamaha dealer and buy some Yamaha carb cleaner
many people swear by that too.
I've heard the Yamaha stuff has changed, I'm told it is now watersoluble and can't be mixed in the gas.

Don't know for sure, I haven't checked, but this is what I was told.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Yes there is the "old" Yamaha carb cleaner. You mixed it 1 part cleaner with 3 parts gas. Then there is the "new" cleaner. Doesn't work the same.

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.