Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Yep sat down last night and she says, I want to get my own bike. I say, OK, what are you looking at.

Now before I say what she is looking for, she has experience with off road machines. She is only 5' - 120 lbs. She works out three to four times a week and runs 5 to 7 miles every other day she is not working out (60 years young too). She used to ride my bike in the two wheel version. Problem with that one was the seat was too high for her. Looking for a seat height of less than 25".

Now because of the weight of touring bikes she don't want that. Looking for a lighter weight, low seat height from ground, power to get out of someones way, and a reasonably good suspension (soft-tail is a no).

She has looked at the 650, too high and too wide. 350's too small.

What do ya think we can go look at.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Vulcan 500, or maybe the Vulcan 500 then again the Vulcan 500 is a great machine. I know you're probably a Honda guy and so am I but I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to get the Kawasaki for my wife, plenty of power too. Don't know if it qualifies for a soft tail or not, if she doesn't like that maybe the Ninja line of 250 or 500 would work for her.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

I would recomend a Honda 750 Shadow Aero. My wife is a little taller than yours but smaller. She can handle the Aero with no problem. Bike is short seat hieght. Water cooled, shaft drive. Very smooth and dependable. Hers is a 2004 she has put over 10,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years. Send me you email in a PM and I will send you a picture.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Suzuki GS500F...My wife rode one...5'3" 120 or so

Bullet proof engine...low maintenance...good wind/weather protection...more than enough power to get you in trouble...used market has plenty for reasonable values and will hold its value

More neutral than crotch rocket posture...

Ninja's are nice also

Suzuki SV650 is a really nice bike but a bit tall for a shorty

Bill

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Don't overlook the Kawasaki 900,I sat on a 900 custom and I thought it sat lower than my 1500 vulcan which has been lowered and only measures 26 inches.

Update:

I just looked and the 2009 900 seat height is 27 inches.

Oddly the 500 is 28 inches....

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

750 Shadow spirit........ end of story. I have spoken.

·
Premium Member
67,686 Posts
imported post

Honda Magna
V4 750 lots of power
Low seat
Less then 700lbs
inexpensive
Easy to handle
Smooth, runs forever

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Wingriderz wrote:
Burgman sixfiddy.
And will dust many of theabove mentioned motorcycles .

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

What about a VTX1300? 2006, about 5600 miles on it, Jupiter Orange, nice bike......my Dad is selling his for about 5800.00 if you want to make a trip to 'Bama:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I recommend a 2004 Suzuki Volusia, Blue Silver, less than 5200 miles. 800 cc, shaft drive, smooth rider, easy to drive, low seating..............., great for ladies.

Just happen to have one for sale extremely resonably priced.

Popsx3:)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

popsx3 wrote:
I recommend a 2004 Suzuki Volusia, Blue Silver, less than 5200 miles. 800 cc, shaft drive, smooth rider, easy to drive, low seating..............., great for ladies.

spelling doesn't count does it?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

popsx3 wrote:
popsx3 wrote:

spelling doesn't count does it?
It must be a Brandon thing, I used to work with 3 girls from Brandon that couldn't spell worth a darn either:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

JUUUUUUSSSSTTTTT KIDDING!!!!!!!:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

To get the seat under 25” you may have to have it lowered. My niece just got an 06 Suzuki C-50 cruiser. She had to have it lowered so she could reach the ground. She is under 5 feet. It has plenty of power for her. She had no problem keeping up with me over the weekend. I think the Honda Shadow has a seat height around 25”.

I like the Vulcan 900 LT.

Unfortunately I think all of the touring and sport bikes are much taller.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

There are a few Harley's with very low seat height. Sportster 883L is 25.3". Seems like there are always lots of used Sportsters for sale as people start out on them, then move up to the bigger, more expensive Harleys. I think the Dyna Low Rider is less than 26" seat height.
My wife had a Vulcan 500, and it's seat height was a little higher than these two Harley models. Her bike didn't have much 'zip' though, so you might be disappointed with the performance. It had no problems running at highway speeds, just took a while getting there.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Thank you all, :bowing:she has lots to look at,:shock: she did say the scooter was out. :D

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

The yamaha 650/1100 vstar custom have a pretty low seat height. good solid bikes to boot.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I'll ditto the V-stars. I've had both and the 650 had more than enough power for a single rider (we even rode 2-up on it for a bit). I looked at the Custom, it has a 27.4 seat height. If she could muster another .5", the Silverado comes fully dressed (bags, windshield, better seat, sissy bar/backrest), and more chrome to clean than the Custom. http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspeccompare/22/1964/0/compare.aspx

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Well, I bought this one for my old lady. 1985 Yamaha Xj700 Maxxim.

Looks nice.

Sit's low.

Plenty of style.

And enough power to get up an go even with my big fat a55 on it.

My old lady loves it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.