Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The fender buffer killed her bike today. A Pizza delivery guy pull out in front of her. She's ok other than some extensive bruising. The Yamaha wasn't so lucky. Font end is completely mangled, forks, triple tree front rim and the exhaust all crushed. She collapsed the handle bars and her right hand ripped the brake lever off. Windshield mount is mangled and one rear tun signal is broken.

Top of the fuel tank is caved in as well.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow after work.

Oh yeah, on the up side, I start a new job tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Holy crap :shock:. Glad she made it out of it... sounds like she got off easy when you consider the condition of the bike.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

I've been working this little gig at a church. Without getting into to much sensitive detail members of the church have gotten some threats. So they have me on the door to make sure the wrong folks don't get in during services. I'm also there to keep an eye on the cars because it's a rotten neighborhood.

Anyway I'm there this evening. I took the Wing. The old lady made lasagna for dinner. I had to leave about 15 minutes before it was done. So she decided to ride out and bring me some and we'd ride home together after service.

My phone rings and when I answer all I can here is traffic noise and a bunch of people talking. And I can't understand a word she's saying. After a few seconds I here her say "I'm on the ground".

I said "I'll be right there" and hung up. I didn't even know where she was or what had happened. I assumed she'd just laid it down for whatever reason. I figured I get to her help her get her wheels under her again and we'd just go on with the evening.

I grabbed my jacket and Jumped on the Wing without even zipping it. And I tore off. I won't get into details but I broke several laws on my way to her. She was about 10 blocks away. As I get close to the scene I see her first sitting on the ground.

Then I see her bike stuffed into the front of a car.
I'm still doing about 75mph. I clutch, get on the binders and down shift all the way to first gear. Still on the clutch I come to a sliding screeching halt. Hit neutral and I'm off the Wing before the motor dies.

As soon as I step off the bike, knowing me the way she does she says to me "He already apologized." Because she knew that having seen her sitting up and coherent, my next step was to identify the drive and make sure he didn't survive the crash, no matter how minor his injuries may have been. But by then I could hear him myself saying over and over that he was sorry.

Immediately I go to her and check her out. I ask her where it hurts and inspect those places. I can tell nothing is broken and that physically she is ok. No way of knowing if she had internal injuries but I'm pretty sure she's alright. I then go straight to her bike to shut off the fuel feed so we don't have any fires.

What I really wanted to do at that point was go to her and try to comfort her. But I was still in kill mode. I had to DO something. I knew if I went to her I was too jacked up and I'd do her no good. So i started directing traffic. I'd already bee told that the police and medics were on their way.

After a minute or two of directing traffic my vision had started to clear, my pulse wasn't roaring in my ears and I could no longer taste blood.

I was able to go to her again and tell her I love her and kiss her. By then the medics were there and tending to her and they wanted information from me.

What tore my heart out was I had to send her to the hospital in the ambulance by herself. We had two motorcycles sitting in the middle of the street on the north side of Milwaukee. I had to stay with them. It took the Police a full hour to drag their sorry asses to the scene. I called and arranged for a tow truck for her bike because I didn't want the police doing it because they'd have called a city contracted tow service who would have just dragged it onto the truck doing even more damage and would have taken it to an impound lot.

I called a good friend who drives a tow truck for a living and fortunately he was working. he came and brought her bike to our house for just shy of $75. CHEAP!!!! And it got here without anymore damage.

I came in the house and threw a bag together for her, coupl epair of underwear, a couple bras...even made sure to get one without an underwire so it would be comfortable. I also grabbed her a sports bra. A pair of socks, and a pair of footies. Grabbed her a pair of jeans a couple of soft comfy shirts, her sponge bob PJ pants, a robe, some slipper. And her nook tablet.

I had no idea if she would just need clothes to come home in (I knew she would need those at least because i knew they would cut the clothes she was wearing off in the ambulance) or if she would enough stuff to get through a few days in the Hospital.

Fortunately enough she only needed clothes to get home in.

She's home now, she's sore but in good spirits. I've already made arrangements to put another bike under her as soon as she's healed enough to get on one.

I've also already combed eBay for parts to rebuild the Maxim. Now it's just a matter of waiting on Pizza Boy's insurance to pay out. I used my phone to take pictures of the his DL and insurance papers. He was on the clock so if his insurance balks, I'll just sue Poppa John's they have deep enough pockets.

I don't want any extras. I just want her medical expenses covered, and her bike restored. The guy was actually a nice kid. He felt horrible about it. I kinda felt sorry for him by the end.

Anyway. The important thing is she's ok. And that's all that really matters to me.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

You got one tuff ole lady there Broke. Time for you to wait on her till she recovers.

JD

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

Its good to hear the fender buffer is going to be ok . Good call on letting her take the trip to the hospital . As for her bike and fixing it , I'd be real suspicious of frame damage in the neck area . Id give that real hard look before I started buying parts . Perhaps let the pizza boys adjuster have a looky . He might replace it rather than haggle with you .Bikes become a total with what looks like minimal damage .

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

Colin first off really glad the little woman is OK! Good idea to let the other guys insurance take a good look & go with their findings, you may be able to buy it back for reasonable & either fix it back stock or do some "mods" that I'm sure have been fermenting.
Having known you for awhile I'm really proud at how you managed the situation! You were thinking instead of just reacting & that's such a big big change! Proud of you. Now pamper her & give her an extra hug from all of us!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

sheesh, first time I've given condolences and congratulations in one post.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

It's always hard to hear the one you love on the other end of a phone saying they have been in an accident, been there done that.
Glad she is Ok, and glad you didn't lose your cool.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear your GF is ok. Sorry to heat about the bike. As others said, let the insurance look first. You may need to hire an attorney for all the medical bills. Remember, some conditions mat not show up till years down the road.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

WOW, glad she is ok and just bruised a bit!

Don't be foolish about settling too low, get what you deserve. She's got pain and suffering, mental anguish, lost use of the bike etc.. besides the bike damage and bills.
Perhaps she'll jump on a bike and ride same as always, or perhaps there will be stress each ride and change her riding habits?

I walked away from that deer hit in March with no real injuries and jumped right back on a bike the following week, but now I have stress sometimes riding these roads at night and I have got out and rode less at night than I did before.

Insurance companies are NOT our friends and no reason to be any nicer to them than they are to us! They cheat people, rip us off, raise rates for no reason, don't do as they say, etc.. etc..
Get what you deserve!
I'm not saying sue for $1M but you do deserve something out of this as it is causing you and her problems right now, and could be a problem once she gets out riding again also which may not show up for awhile.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Sure glad she wasn't hurt more than she was.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear that only minor bruises is the worst that she has. Good luck with the insurance and getting the bike fixed.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Good to hear things weren't as bad as they could have been. Also good on you to know when to step away, not everyone can do that.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Sorry to read this. Main thing is she is alive! The bike is just "stuff". As others have said, put the full court press on the insurance companies. They are only involved for themselves, and the least that they can pay, the better.

Take care of your woman now. She needs you now more than ever.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Just so glad to hear the wife is OK, and I am proud of you for not having to post this from jail...You did right brother..Now check the bike out before you spend money on it, see if it is worth spending money on...See what their insurance company is going to offer, then take actions from there..

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

the insurance is the one with deep pockets and they get it from us. talk to a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Good on keeping your head straight on this one bro. Best to you and your lady.looking forward to hear the positive progress on this.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
imported post

Man Broke,i can't really say i could have kept my head in a case like that,i commend you for doing the right thing tho.Hope your lady gets well soon.She's GOT to be one sore gal after caving in the tank and bending the forks and all like that.Sure glad it wasn't any worse.Take care of her,she really needs you right now bud.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.