Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering what you guys do to prevent the theft of your beloved wings when on the road. I am not too worried around here but I plan on doing some traveling to more populated areas where it is more likely.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Very Good Question Aitkameg,although i have never herd of a WING been stolen here in SA , but our chairman of the local wing club's trailer was stolen from his WING while they were in a Bar.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Wings are rarely stolen because:

1. Crotch Rockets are more popular and sexy.

2. Too heavy and big for just 2 thieves to pick up into a pickup.

3. Too many buttons for the average thief to figure out.

4. Not like a Harley where everyone needs parts to replace what fell off.

5. Not like a Harley, where 2008 parts will fit a 1967 model.

6. Ignition switch almost impossible to hotwire in under 1 minute like popular bikes.

7. You would be suspicious of a Wing on a trailer or in the back of a pickup, it is common for Harleys and other bikes.

8. A lot of Wing owners (in the US) are armed.

9. Considered as a "old man's bike" by most thieves.

10. Just too darn big!

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I usually take the key out of the ignition and put it in my pocket before walking away. 19 years and I've never had the bike tampered with.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

I think the primary thing is to be careful where you parkand just practice good safety habits.

I've ridden bikes for many years, but have only owned a Goldwing since Sept. of 2007. I joined this forum shortly thereafter and fromhearing folks speak on the topic, while bike thefts do occur, I think the primary concern is of thieves breaking into your saddlebags and trunk while it sits overnight and getting all of your goodies. I think this is amuchmore common problem. I've not had it happen to me, nor have I had anyone tamper with my bike. I have form fitted luggage bags for my trunk and saddlebags (available just about anywhere- grab and go) and I unload the bike at overnight stops. I've even heard that some guys leave theirtrunks unlocked to prevent damage, but I haven't gone that far.

Anyway, if someone wants your bike and the opportunity presents itself,theyWILL take it. Just be smart...Park in a well lit area, lock the forks, cover the bike (and lock the cover)andbe able to see the bike easily from your room (or check on it now and then). That's what I do.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I personally think the risk of vandalism is probably higher than actual bike being stolen. I have been lucky, in over 30 years of haivng various Wings on and off, I have only had a pennant stolen and I caught the guy in the process and he dropped it and fled.

If you are likely to be parking in some areas that may not be too safe, I would consider some sort of light cover just to keep prying eyes off.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I agree with all the above comments however I still use a half cover and a brake rotor lock just to be safe. I don' want to wake up 1000 mile from home and go out to see where my bike used to be.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I put one of those clamp-locks $8.00on the rear rotor with a bright orange string to the handlebar to remind me it's there in the morning. Then put the cover on it. Almost foolproof.

The trailer is all about insurance if you leave it at a motel, chained to a post.

When I'm riding with a group, I don't bother with any extra locks.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
I agree with all the above comments however I still use a half cover and a brake rotor lock just to be safe. I don' want to wake up 1000 mile from home and go out to see where my bike used to be.
One good thing about not having rotor covers, disc lock can be fitted.

Anyone know of a sort that can be used with the rotor covers in place, preferabley small and easily carried on the Wing, rather than one of those huge chains or D rings that go through the wheel. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I don't think most crooks want to work hard enough to swipe one of my 20+-year-old gals. There's easier machines to take, with a larger market, and value. I do use the duffle bag liners for the bags and tour box, and take them into my sleeping quarters nightly.

I also leave the empty bags and box unlocked*, and sleep with a .45 under me pillow. :)

* - If someone wants into your fiberglass bags or box - they'll get in one way or another

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

never heard of a wing stolen on a trip i have had a side cover and the top half of my cb ariel stolen now i carry a cover to cover the bike coverd up when i leave it parked over night also i leave it in reverse

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

bungee202 wrote:
never heard of a wing stolen on a trip i have had a side cover and the top half of my cb ariel stolen now i carry a cover to cover the bike coverd up when i leave it parked over night also i leave it in reverse
That must leave a somewhat bitter taste in the mouth since it was possibley another Winger that wanted those parts, otherwise why would they steal them?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I also park my bike with my buddies Harleys. If anything gets stolen it will be their bikes not mine.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

GLester has it pretty close.
1. Harleys are #1 because you can get rid of them whole for near retail and in parts as easy as pie since their theives market is as big as the import punk cars is.
2. Crotch Rockets have a pretty good parts resale especially the bolt on junk but unlike the Harleys not a big demand for the export of stolen bikes.
3. Goldwings don't have the value, like several mentioned, you're more likely to be vandalized. I've had people in full view in parking lots trying to open my saddle bags!

GLester, you forgot the part where some of the wings smell like cat pee!

For all you trailer nuts, cheap insurance is a motive switch inside the tongue bar. Mine sounds like a bunch of monkeys getting their nutz hammered and has cause a few would bes to wet themselves.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

morram, I like that. I have one of those little billion decibel boxes that goes off when the little pin is pulled.

I doubt a crookwouldhang around with that noise for long.

Silverfox, I only have the lock that that opens just enough to slide onto the rotor & the locking bar is invisible when locked, so bolt cutters would be useless. I have rotor covers, so I have to lay on the ground to put it on the rear rotor. Effective & cheap, but a real nuisance. Oh well, I'm not paying for some fancy alarm.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
imported post

I use a full cover. So far, so good.

Always a bit anxious, but never lost anything.

Been thinking about installing one of those radio alarms to wake me up if the bike gets bumped or something.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
imported post

I use a full cover. So far, so good.

Always a bit anxious, but never lost anything.

Been thinking about installing one of those radio alarms to wake me up if the bike gets bumped or something.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
imported post

Having your bike stolen or damaged would be a heartbreaker, particularly on a long road trip but it would hurt you more if you never took the trip.

I use a light half cover to keep the rain and dew off AND to suggest to people that it is private property not a kiddies ride.

I take off the GPS and any other easy removables and try to park where I can see the bike from my room. I carry full insurance that will take care of me financially. The above is due diligence. If something goes wrong it was out of my control.

Some people try to park where the bike can be seen from the front desk.

When I travel I like to take the secondary roads and I don't care much for big cities. I don't know what I would do differently if forced to park in a large downton area or any area that had a bad reputation.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

They do have a LoJack for bikes if you want to go nuts.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I carry a Smith and Wesson, and lots of insurance. I do nothing special to lock it down. I worry sometimes on a long ride and we stay in a hotel for he night. But that is why the insurance. I've had the front desk ask me not to put my bike in the room, I assure them it won't fit.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.