Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,855 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
Yamaha FJR1300. I have one plus my GL1500. For every riding situation except 2-up cross country the FJR is a much better ride.
My son has a FJR1300.

I have ridden it too. The handling is lighter and more precise, it goes between cars ( lane splitting ) a lot easier, is way more fun.

But neither he nor I consider it to be a cross country touring machine. He has all the optional bags and storage trunk for it too. The rider's position will kill your back after a while. And in cool or damp weather, the rider gets cold. He knows that all too real, he rides it to work and back from San Marcos, CA to Poway, CA. That fog coming in off the ocean freezes him to the core every morning.

The Goldwings allow for a straight up, or lean back against a backrest, feet up position. A cadillac type ride that I can enjoy all day long. The FJR is without a doubt, a super fine machine, the tranny is flawless, lordy I wish my Goldwing would shift like that one does.

But my replacement bike is going to be a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

DuctTape wrote:
I would be back on (or still on) the Yamaha XS1100. They haven't made them since the early 80's. I've owned several over the last 30 years, still great bikes, not the same category as the Goldwing, but when dressed, they look great and if maintained, they run great. I have I one in the backyard now (1978 model) that I am restoring.
I bought a new Yamaha XS1100 in 1980 and loved it. That thing was quick afterriding a 650 prior to that. $4400. off the show room floor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Most of my riding is 2 up, I would most likely have an Ultra Glide. If I was only riding 1 up I would probably have one of the new Concours or maybe a GS.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
imported post

Well, I'd probably be riding whatever I could afford, since that's how I got the Goldwing.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Easy, this........

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Actually, I don't have a Goldwing, and I'm already riding it....... this!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I still get the occasional twinge of nostalgia for my Virago 1100. I did some 500 mile days on that bike, and I only had two complaints, 175 km to reserve light, and on a hot day it could be a real bugger to start after a short stop.

I wouldn't trade the Wing for one though!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

wow, before Goldwings, that would mean I would still only have two wheels under me. That would have been, Oh lets see a HD (chopper, hardtail) in 68 - 74, then I learned about the Honda 750 and I was hooked. So I guess it would have to be the 750, but no worry the Goldwing did come along.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,855 Posts
imported post

I owned a Yamaha 750 twin with a counter balanced crankshaft. I forget now what model they called it. Was about 1972ish I think. Might have been later because I had a Yamaha 650 for quite a while before that. that was one fast bike! but the vibration killed my feet.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I love my Kawa Vulcan 1500 Classic. I've installed, a harley batwing faring, hard bags and a trunk and love the reliability, the handling for a big cruiser, now a tourer and the ergonomics of the controls. If they built a Goldwing with the controls like on my Classic, I would never have switched.

Bernie

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hard to say for sure, but maybe a Yamaha RSV. I'd have to give the Harley Ultra a look too as well as the BMW K1200LT.

John

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

No question if there where no Goldwings it would be a ST1300:). A ST1300 was my first choice:shock:. My wife's first choice was the wing. I was got the wing when I was shopping for the ST because the dealer had this this sitting on the floor (it had been his demo unit) and sold it to me for close to the price of a new ST1300. So I figured if I don't like the wing I can afford to sell it off and still buy a ST1300. I have not had a chance to ride mine yet:shock::shock: because I did the deal in December and we will not get to ride here until May so there might be a deal on a slightly used GL1800 about May 15:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:(not likely):waving:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

As the oldest of 4 boys i never had an older brother, what I did have was an uncle who was 9 years older and was like a big brother. He not only rode Honda's, he was a honda mechanic. There was seed planted for my love of Honda's. Therefore if there were no Goldwings, I would be riding whatever big Honda was there. As I always will.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

It would have to be a simialr bike to the wing, probably a bmw tourer and probably the k1200lt.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

My 1500 Vulcan Classic...parked right next to the Wing. Luv that bike.

DeDub

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Very true... thats also how i got my wing. lol but i love it and i dont reget!!

Tubawinger wrote:
Well, I'd probably be riding whatever I could afford, since that's how I got the Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I had a dream the other night that I was ridin' my old
1970 Bridgestone 350 GTO smoker that, (back in 1970), I took
my first 4 day M/C tour into Northeast Oregon on. Got hooked
on touring on that trip at the the ripe old age of seventeen.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.