Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased and waiting on a tube of Arctic MX4 thermal paste, it mentioned in the ad it a 2019 edition. Does this mean if I have a tube from 2018 it won't be any good? What do you use to remove the old compound from the components before applying the new?

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to give the daily driver Dell and good cleaning and replace the thermal paste. I buy used laptops and while the seller makes sure they work and they clean the outside off I doubt they make an effort to do much on the inside.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Any of the Arctic stuff is better than the stock crap the OEMs put on there.

Remove all voltage, including the battery. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Press the power key for 30 seconds for good measure.

With a lint-free cloth wipe away as much of the old paste as you can. A spare (disposable) microfiber cloth works well.

Using isopropyl alcohol (get the 99% stuff if you can) polish the rest of the old paste off. Remove as much as you can.

Apply the new paste thinly and evenly per the instructions.

Re-assemble the processor and enjoy your new coolness.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I have some old eyeglass microfiber cloths and they're small enough for the job. May have to use the regular isopropyl alcohol from Dollar Tree.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Your local pharmacy will carry the 100% iso. You may also get by with the red bottle(s) of Heat gas line deicer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts