Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know whether you can buy thermistor for fuel gage and fuel level apparatus without buying the whole assemblies for each. If so, where?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Not real sure what you need. Seems you need the thermistor and that is available as Dennis said. Do you also nee the float? Arm? Wiper and resister?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
What year? model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, it is a 2003 1800 Goldwing. I am a novice on this. I saw some discussion about the thermistor but I do not know what it really is or where it is located. I thought it was the circuit board with the wiper and resistor and thought if I could replace it, could save some money. Ohms on this board do not meet specks and neither the fuel level light or fuel gage work.

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
The 1800 does not have a thermistor, the light is triggered by the level sensor reaching a certain resistance.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
339 Posts
The 1800 does not have a thermistor, the light is triggered by the level sensor reaching a certain resistance.
You also need to know that there are two sensors, one is part of the fuel pump assembly and the other is a stand alone sensor mounted forward of the fuel pump assembly.
FUEL SENSOR.jpg

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Anyone know whether you can buy thermistor for fuel gage and fuel level apparatus without buying the whole assemblies for each. If so, where?
What is your symptom? One sensor moves the gauge from empty to half way and the other moves it from half to full. They work together to give the full scale reading.

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
Oddly enough you just described the functions of a thermistor!
Not exactly. A thermistor heats up when the fuel level drops below it and the resistance decreases. A level sensors resistance increases the lower it gets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not exactly. A thermistor heats up when the fuel level drops below it and the resistance decreases. A level sensors resistance increases the lower it gets.
There are two types.
  • With NTC thermistors, resistance decreases as temperature rises. An NTC is commonly used as a temperature sensor, or in series with a circuit as an inrush current limiter.
  • With PTC thermistors, resistance increases as temperature rises. PTC thermistors are commonly installed in series with a circuit, and used to protect against overcurrent conditions, as resettable fuses.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
The 1800 uses resistive potentiometers with the float arms being attached to the wipers. Front/upper one controls the gauge from half tank to full tank, back/lower one controls the gauge from empty to half tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts