Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

was out pluging wires back in as i took radio out to send to sierra.thought what the he$$.i would take farring off and looks like a plate around fan.the reason for this is po wired toggle switch in.now this is were i am stuck.the wires coming out of the fan are blue&black with a square plug. that he hot wired in for the fan.i see thermo switch plug it has two wires comeing out green&black it goes behind the plate that bolts to motor. the wires from thermo switch looks like they feed into wireing harnes donot see any cut wires or loose plug were fan plugs into.about ready to put everthing back together and just use toggle switch works fine that way.but would like it to kick on like it should.and still have toggle switch.hope i didnot ramble on to much:?:?:?:?

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

The plug that goes to the fan has a blue with a black stripe and a black. The black wire is the same wire as the black on the thermo switch. The blue/black comes from a black wire directly from the ignition switch. There should be a connector on the left side near the steering head with a green, a black, a blue/red and a green blue. If it's an aspencade it will also have a light green/red.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

what has me confused is there is no where to plug fan back in so i can pull thermo switch plug.and jumper switch to see if thermo switch is bad.can i run a jumper wire from thermo switch to toggle switch the po put in to make fan run if so which wire:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I'm not exactly sure what your asking so if I get it all wrong, I'm sorry.

The only way you can really check the thermo switch is by taking it out of the system, you have to drain the coolant down until it's below the thermostat housing and then remove the switch & test in oil or water to see if there is resistance between the contacts when the oil or water heats up. If there is resistance then the switch is OK.

It sounds to me like somebody has wired in a toggle switch to force the fan to run. Too me that would indicate the thermo switch is bad or switches on at too high a temp. When the bike runs the fan should come on about the middle of the temp gauage if it doesn't I would replace the thermo switch. Lots of folks ( me included have put a 1994 Geo Metro switch ) in place of the Honda thermo switch. They work fine.

There's a couple of ways you can look for the connector.
1.The other end of the connector you are looking for is most likely still there but unplugged. Take the left false tank panel off & the lowers on the left side ( if you picture is the bike we are talking about. Look in the area directly to the left & down from the air breather snout. On my bike its a clear coloured connector.
2. Take the air breather out & look around the area just in back of & left of the coils as you are looking from the seat. Upper area between left false tank housing, coils & carbs is about where this plug should be.

Am I on the right track.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

you are somewhat right when i said i wanted to check thermo switch.what i was wanting to do was jumper switch to see if fan will run.but will have to find the plug to the fan that po had put toggle switch in got pissed yesterday and pulled farring off so i could try to find the fan plug.what i want to know can i run a jumper wire from thermo switch to fan to make it work or do i half to find plug po upluged and plug fan back in and then jumper thermo plug to see if fan will run:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

In a normal situation ( fan hooked up normally with no toggle switch.) Unplug the thermo switch plug & cross the contacts on the plug itself with the ignition on. The fan should start.

In your situation, your fan as I understand it,is not connected into the stock wiring so doing the above won't tell you much of anything. Find the connector & plug it back into the stock harness. Then you can try the above. You might have to move the toggle switch from off to on as I would think the toggle switch would have to be off in order for you to use the test method as above.

Aim I getting closer.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I have to go out for a bit. I'll check back & see how you made out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.