Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Thermostat not opening???

734 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ding dong 
#1 ·
My 76 seems to reach fan on temps quicker than usual. Fan comes on and drops temp but I noticed the upper section of the radiator is room temperature. According to my cheapy temp gun the temp is around 110 degrees. Is this a thermostat that is not opening?

#3 ·
You can take T-stat, put in boiling water and see if it opens or not.

Hotest coolant exiting engine after T-stat opens enters radiator at top and cools as it falls to bottom where it gets pulled back into water pump.

Cool at the top? Was the bottom of radiator hot? Low coolant level will do that if top of radiator is empty as hot coolant is still being pumped into top to fall to bottom.

It is possible that your T-stat is slow in reacting to hot coolant in engine. The fan switch is located in the engine coolant, not radiator on your '76 I believe … so it could turn the fans on earlier while the T-stat keeps it contained?

If mine, I'd either test or just replace the T-stat.

#4 ·
Okay, I'm a numbnutz. Last time I drained the coolant I refilled and forgot to burp the baby. Low coolant.

Reactions: noviwinger
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.