Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a '80 GL1100 that I brought back to life. I installed a Stant 7013 radiator cap(direct replacement for a #10229 according to Autozone). I have about 250-300 miles on the machine and I have had coolant "burp" fluid out of the radiator cap twice when the bike is sitting. It never occurs when running, andit seems to happenseveral hours after I shut the bike off. The fluid in the overflow drops to the "low" mark on the overflow tankand then stays there. The cap is a 13lb cap, and is visually identical to the Honda cap, except is has aHex shaped top.

Will a GL1100 burp like this after a coolant change to get he air out? Note: I made sure the hole in the thermostat was in the "up" position when I installed it, and the bike has never overheated. It runs in the 1/3 - 2/3range on the gauge, and the fan kicks in at the 2/3 position when the bike is parked.

I have idled the bike on the centerstand several times looking for leaks when it is very hot and nothing, so I don't think it is a loose clamp.

Any ideas would be appreciated !!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

What you describe sounds normal..

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks !!! I appreciate the comments. Just a bit of a panic attack when I came out yesterday to a sizable puddle under the bike. When I pulled the shelter, and removed the cap, the rad was still full, and the overflow was at the the low mark with the bike cold.

I will watch it going forward, and thanks again !!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.