Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How difficult is it to change the thermostat on a 1985 Goldwing 1200I. I recently posted a question about flushing the radiator. I have since figured that out. I figured that while I was flushing the radiator, I might as well go ahead and change the stat. My bike has 106000 miles on it.:shock:probably would be wise huh?

Doug Vaught

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Take off the 2 bolts on the water pump cover, and the 2 bottom bolts off the radiator, pull the radiator gently forward after disconnecting the top water hose from the thermostat housing. You won't need to take it all the way off, jsut be careful you don't scratch your fender.

Once you pull the radiator forward, you'll see the housing. I think it's 2 bolts to take it off. Might be 3.
when installing, make sure your O-ring is on the bottom water pump cover. And don't overtorque the housing or cover because aluminum can crack real easy. cya

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

dwvaught wrote:
How difficult is it to change the thermostat on a 1985 Goldwing 1200I. I recently posted a question about flushing the radiator. I have since figured that out. I figured that while I was flushing the radiator, I might as well go ahead and change the stat. My bike has 106000 miles on it.:shock:probably would be wise huh?

Doug Vaught
Not too hard: remove lower fairing, radiator, and thermostat housing is behind radiator. It installs with spring side into the engine. Watch for the electric fan plug connection when you remove the radiator. Would also recommend you buy a Honda repair manuel. A good one is invaluable. By the way anything Iraqi Ram tells you is FAR better advice than anything I can offer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.