Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago I decided to build an AR15 in 7.62x39. I ordered the upper assembly and called my dealer to get me a lower, which is the part with the serial# so has to come through a licensed dealer. Strange, I could make the upper assy fire without the lower, but not the other way around. I asked him to get me the parts kit and stock too. Took a couple weeks to get the upper and then at least a month for the dealer to get the lower, he didn't get the parts kit & stock so I ordered them right away. Took almost 3 weeks to get those, got them today. So I start to assemble it, the parts kit I ordered didn't come with the trigger group :( my bad for not reading carefully. So I looked for something inexpensive and didn't find anything so I ordered another complete parts kit, cheaper that way & I'll have some extra parts. Hope I live long enough to get to fire it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,681 Posts
my son is experiencing those same issues, he has sold all of his "favorite builds" to friends, and is now trying to get the remaining parts for the "extras" that came with building up all the other stuff.

while in Dayton, we went to Cabelo's and .223 Remington was not available...

hit the online stores and found 400 rounds of Talu steel case one place, and at another place, found another box of 1,000 rds of steel case.

as I will never a reloader, it is cheaper for me that way.

also picked up a few boxes of 9mm for the LC9s

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
9mm ammo around here has disappeared!! I might have to set up my Rockchucker for that size... In the meantime I have PLENTY of ammo for my 500...….:cool::cool:

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9mm ammo around here has disappeared!! I might have to set up my Rockchucker for that size... In the meantime I have PLENTY of ammo for my 500...….:cool::cool:
Components are hard to find or ridiculously priced. I went into the only place in the area to buy some small pistol primers and they wanted $45 for a box of 1000 so I told them to just keep them. A lot of bullets are just out of stock. I have many pounds of powder so I'm not worried about it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,681 Posts
my son bought a rolling case polisher while I was visiting in Dayton.
he should be a jug of new cases priced at $169 at Cabelo's.

we spent the next morning for a couple of hours at a gun range, and picked up 5 gallons of shells.
he uses his time in a recliner clearing out the primers and sizing the cases, while watching YouTube videos of guys showing survival methods...

me? I survive at the grocery store :)

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brass is easy to come by, it's the things you put in it that are scarce right now.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
The demand for firearms has been up for a few months. Around here it seems the prices are outpacing the demand, people (newbies ?), just keep handing over the credit cards. Ammo is just stupid expensive when you can find it, and most popular jacketed bullets are always out of stock. I shoot cast lead 90>95 % of the time, and even buying local lead is going up. Old saying is to buy ammo cheap and stack it deep, but I believe the prices will never return to what we used to call affordable...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with everything you're saying, but on the other hand these aren't hard times in one regard. Firearm sales are through the roof and setting new records on a frequent basis. Ammo and AR lowers and reloading supplies are hard to find, but it's because there is such healthy demand, and not because pandering legislators have outlawed them, or made them difficult to procure. Supply will catch up, and it's likely you'll see it outpace demand as this peak buying rush passes, so you'll probably pick up some of the popular calibers pretty cheaply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts