Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How do I tell the difference between a radial or a bias tire?

I've looked the tire's over and don't see anything that would tell me one way or the other,what am I missing.

On one it does say BELTED and thats it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

you DON"T want to put radials on your 1500

the tire size will say 180/60-R16 the r is for radiall doesn't have an "r' not radial

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Look at the code for tire size, it is a series of numbers such as

P265/70R 16

The R in that string means radial, if it is not radial there will not be an R in the tire size.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the quick help guys,I wasn't considering radials ,just didn't know how to tell the difference.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

OK, so what is the difference between a radial and bias besides the number or letter?

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
you DON"T want to put radials on your 1500
Why not? I have Bridgestone radials on mine.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
OK, so what is the difference between a radial and bias besides the number or letter?
The way the belts are laid and formed on the mold .

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
SpiderBob wrote:
The way the belts are laid and formed on the mold .
Doesn't answer whyyou can'thave radials on?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

If I understand right, the "r" on motorcycle tires is different than the "r" on car/van/truck tires?

The "r16" on a car tire is the RIM size.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Radials are a wider tire. They are constructed differently and on some bike create a dangerous situation with contact and rubbing on things like the swing arm, wheel well and other parts of the bike.

If a bike is originally designed for bias ply, best to stick to them, as the radial tires are wider, and in some models much wider. So you have clearance issues.

For the 1500 Shinko is making a radial specifically for it. Have never seen one up close, but has to be a specially laid tire, a bit narrower than most, as the rims are the same for radial or bias.

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,727 Posts
imported post

Ut Rider wrote:
If I understand right, the "r" on motorcycle tires is different than the "r" on car/van/truck tires?

The "r16" on a car tire is the RIM size.
The R denotes a radial tire, they just place it next to the rim diameter. But it denotes a radial tire.

From Tire Technical Talk

Construction - This indicates how the how the tire was put together and will say much about the tires handling characteristics.

R indicates the tire is a radial type tire.

B indicates the tire is a bias ply type tire.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
:waving:Radials are a wider tire. They are constructed differently and on some bike create a dangerous situation with contact and rubbing on things like the swing arm, wheel well and other parts of the bike.

If a bike is originally designed for bias ply, best to stick to them, as the radial tires are wider, and in some models much wider. So you have clearance issues.

For the 1500 Shinko is making a radial specifically for it. Have never seen one up close, but has to be a specially laid tire, a bit narrower than most, as the rims are the same for radial or bias.

Kit
There ya go right from the tire guru himself ( sorry couldn't find a darkside emoticom) :dude:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.