Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a fantastic experience. I bought my '98 Aspencade this past September with only 7,950 miles on her. Besides needing some routine maintenance she needed the carbs cleaned from sitting alot of years. She responded very well to the services and with new tires she was like new.

It really wasn't the bike I was after but who passes on a low mileage pristine Goldwing for cheap? I knew I could perform all the services myself and ride it for a while and resell for a profit. I really enjoyed the 2500 miles I rode her. I can totally appreciate why they sold so many GL1500s. Its an awesome machine.

So, the sportbike techno-wize in me got a bug up my ass to buy a 2006 BMW K1200LT. A great bike but that Honda flat-six is the best in the business IMHO. In comparison, the BMW sounds like it has a crankcase full of marbles.

In any event, I sent out some ads listing it(the wing) at $8,999 and within a week I got full asking price. They come and pick it up Saturday.

I suspect this BMW will also be a short relationship as I already miss the Goldwing. I'm thinking a low mile GL1800 is in my future.

Ya'll wont be getting rid of me unless you get sick of me talking K1200LT stuff :)

Thanks to all who helped me through my 1500 services. This is an awesome forum and I hope to contribute in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
if you like the k1200lt , fine. but the 1800 i think you`ll like even better and it`s O so smooth and quite too.
but in the mean time--- stop by any time.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Glad to hear you are sticking around.
Congrats on the new bike!!:waving:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts

Nice bike...
but nothing like the...

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Well good luck, but IMHO you should have kept the 1500...not every day you see one as fine as yours...mine is a little rough and still gathers a crowd....stay safe..

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
From what I hear, the 1800 is a full dress sport bike, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also had a look at the BMWs, nice bikes, but to me they are no more than cheap and nasty versions of the goldwing without the 'cheap and nasty' price tag.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Craig, IMHO it's not what you ride, it's the fact that you RIDE!! If you like the BMW K1200LT than, thats great it's your ride, enjoy it!! Don't feel you need to leave the forum we will always be happy to hear of your great rides and adventures on your new bike. Remember though....if the new bike doesn't work out....they make new wings everyday!!

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
Grats! I for one would love to hear your impressions of the BMW as time goes by. Keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
When I saw your post I thought you were talking about the same kind of Beemer my buddy has...a K1300S, but your picture is of a much different bike. The K1300S is a 175 hp sport bike. Very trick.

Me...I'm overjoyed to have my '98 1500 with 10k miles on the clock. LOVE it!

Best of luck with the BMW, it's a classy ride.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
No problem with talking about BMWs my brother does it all the time about his. But please, please, spare us about Aerostitch stuff!:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a friend my wife and I ride with most of the time and he rides a BMW 12LT. He loves it adn we have a great time riding together. But sometimes I will see him looking at my Wing and I can see the thoughts swirling in his head. I'll wait for the right time then let him take my Wing for a ride. I feel after the ride he will be hooked. :fishing:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I just can't see any comparison between any BMW and a Goldwing. First of all, BMWs are probably the most unreliable name brand bikes you can get, even worse than Harley. On another site I belong to, they are both overflowing with praise for the things, and at the same time constantly complaining about all the problems they have with them, the cost of parts and service, and of having to deal with a BMW dealer. BMW final drives tend to fail, and it can cost an absurd amount to fix them.

As far as riding them, I don't get that either. I have never ridden a BMW, but I have sat on quite a few. Every single one of them, except the R1200C, had the same problem. Uncomfortable seat, bars to far forward and to low, and pegs to high and to far back. BMW just can't seem to make anything that isn't some kind of sport bike. Just hearing the words "sport bike" make me cringe, after all the pain they have caused me. I finally came to my senses and won't go anywhere near one again.

Best of luck with your BMW, but they just aren't for me. Wish I could have bought your Goldwing though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.