Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing about the die cast replica market is you can get plenty of HD bikes and no one completely takes leave of there senses when buying or bidding on them. I was watching a rare GL1500 replica 1/18 scale in a glass case for a week and it was stuck at $10.50 and I use a friends method to bid on an item, I waited for the right moment after I had my bid set ($30.00) but not entered. Two bidders took leave of there senses within the last 15 seconds, the bid went from $20.00 to $50.00 in a matter of seconds with the closing bid of $61.50. I know for sure that Goldwing die cast models are rare and these two bidders were serious collectors and this is the second time I had seen the bidding go off the chart; someone presented a yellow 1/6 scale GL1800 last year and within the last few seconds it was $250.00. After the dust settled on the GL1500 replica and the winner got the prize, I thought to myself you must have one heck of a collection and I know that mine needs a pretty good size curio cabinet. Every now and then a unique die cast replica Goldwing appears on Ebay, some you can buy and others you bid on.

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts
I use eSnipe, I set my price and 3 seconds from end of bidding.

you either get it, or you don't, and emotions don't get involved like in the race you just saw.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what caused the frenzy and I've never seen one. I just put the bid up and wait till the last second and the hit 'Bid'. I'm attaching the item and results from the auction. This is only the second time I've seen bidders go mad.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it got to $50.00 I left and watched the madness and you're right they have more money than sense. I'd have liked to have had it but I draw the line on prices for my collection. The one I paid the most money for was a Guiloy 1/6 scale GL1500 and that was over $70.00 but it was a 'Buy It Now' and not too long ago someone had the identical red one for $40.00. The original price tag was in the box on the one I have and someone paid $138.00 for it.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure the same two will show up later today and go mad with the bidding on a black and silver 1/6 scale Guiloy GL1500, those are rare in the states too. I know that Goldwing replicas are rare but when people go nuts they only make my collection worth more. My collection is primarily new in box mint condition.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember the Goldwing in post #3, well the winner never paid for it and it came back up again and the seller asked for offers as well as having the auction. I offered 25.00 and he came back with 45.00 and I accepted and its on its way to my collection. :)

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the replica today and it is different from most I have as it is all metal. I discovered one thing and that is never mark a package 'Fragile' seems like everyone gets their jollies throwing it around and damaging the contents. The glass case got broken and the mirror on the bike was knocked off and the shipper packed it well. This will most likely be the last time I buy any collectibles on line. I hope the 1/6 scale one isn't broken in transit. :mad:

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the latest addition to the collection, I have to glue the mirror back on. Repairing the case won't be to hard as I'll buy a picture frame in the dollar store and cut the glass to fit.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one I just got is a 1/18 scale and that small, I have a 1/6 scale one coming in and that's the one the poster on the other Goldwing forum put lights in and repainted to match his actual bike.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're both here and this is not fun having both damaged. The small on in the front is from 1995 and is the magenta color and that's 24 years old. The big one is part of a set of 4. That has been getting tossed around for 12 days at the Dallas postal distribution center before getting to Lovington. On the small one the screw to hold the model up was
missing and I whittled a peg to hold it up out of a match stick. The glass case got damaged and the broken panel will be replaced with an acrylic mirror. I pray that the $200.00 laptop doesn't get destroyed.

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts
we are having more stuff delivered by FedEx now.

so far, all of the boxes are intact, they dropped off two today.
One is an Air Mattress, those don't like to be punctured.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fed Ex and UPS very rarely damage stuff, but USPS has managed to damage 3 items so far. I think when you mark a package 'Fragile' that means throw it around. Fed Ex dropped off 2 packages from Walmart.com yesterday and in one was my new cooking pot for oatmeal and it wasn't dented.

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts
both of our packages were from Walmart :)

Cyndi has taken to ordering as much of our groceries as she can from Walmart.

the things they won't ship, she is ordering for "onsite pickup"
she calls them about 10 minutes before she actually gets there, and says I'm here..... and they eventually come out with the stuff.

she used to park, then call, and ended up having to wait 20 to 30 minutes.....
she quit that.

neat thing about the 'onsite pickup'.
if they don't have exactly what you want, they will upgrade to the next size in the same brand.
sometimes, they substitute brands, and they have a printout that lists the substitutions, so she can decide if it is acceptable.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've order a gallon of Great Value olive oil and it was delivered in perfect condition, the bottle wasn't pierced or smashed. I also ordered a gallon of Fabuloso for cleaning. The supermarket in town is very high and I can get some of what I use cheaper from Walmart.com.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts