Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Friend and me were out riding yesterday, him on his 03 VTX 1800 and me on my 81 GL1100. Left about 7:30 am and got back to his house about 12:30. This is what I learned:

1. My GL1100 has no problems catching up to a VTX that is accelerating away from you. At least up to about 80.

2. A VTX can take a curve much faster than a GL1100.

3. If you don't want to scrap your floorboards, if the sign for the curve in Texas says 45 MPH, thats as fas as you can go on a 1100 and not scrap the ground.

4. Friend nows wants to trade in VTX for new GW. He was very impressed with my older bike keeping up with him, we swapped for about 10 miles, and he wants a GW.

I also showed him that video clip of the 1800s running the Dragon. Though like me, he didn't care for the scrapping noises of the bikes on the curves, he was impressed with how fast the 1800s were able to manuver the road.

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Iput about 60,000 miles ontwo Kawasakis, a KZ650 and a KZ1100. I lived with the vibration and numb hands. A friend back then let me ride his GL1200 and man, I could not believe how smooth it was.... I was destined to have my won someday.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
If you don't want to scrap your floorboards, if the sign for the curve in Texas says 45 MPH, thats as fas as you can go on a 1100 and not scrap the ground.
Junk the floorboards for the original pegs and you can pick up a bit of speed in the bends, a little body English toward the low side will help a bit too.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Had a V Twin try to hang with me in some "Switch Backs" and he couldn't do it because I "counter balanced" the old Wing in the curves with my big butt, plus I still have pegs on!
Did scrape the engine guards!
But the "VTX" is a great bike, once you straighten out the "Ground" Problem and "fork" problem and rear "Bearing "Problem,plus that small gas tank!

I would love to have one with those things already fixed !:cooler:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My 1200 came with floorboards, just couldn't hack it, took them off and put the pegs on. I have the stock pegs on my 1500 and even with my arthritic knees don't think the floorboards are worth it. I don't have highway pegs either but do fine with the rider pegs on 400-500 mile daily runs. Of course I stop every 75-100 miles, either the bike needs filling or I need emptying and we don't seem to be able to get it in sync.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the signs in Texas, but on my GL1000in Oregon I can double the recommended speed on the corners and not scrape hard parts.

Floor boards were the first part I removed when rebuilding my bike... straight into the dumpster they went.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
I don't know about the signs in Texas, but on my GL1000in Oregon I can double the recommended speed on the corners and not scrape hard parts.

Floor boards were the first part I removed when rebuilding my bike... straight into the dumpster they went.

I had floorboards on my last bike but never again. It just takes some of my riding pleasure away. :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:

I have "Hi-Way" pegs on my engine guards and when I use them ,it puts my thighs up high enough to rest all of my forearms on my legs and my palms on the "Throttle-Rockers", with the Backrest it's like being in a "Lazy-Boy Chair", "Hammer Down", it's a beautiful thing!:clapper:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:

I am with Marco on this. I have found that if its posted 45, you can do 55 without any special efforts at all. More if you concentrate...

On mine, I dont scrape unless UBarJr is with me. Then a dip in the road will cause the back to drop. The center stand wakes us up.

I love it!:goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

On my 1500 it's the pegs that drag first. Although once in awhile it's the toe of my boot.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

You are all a bunch of maniacs out there!!!!:shock::shock:Breaking the laws of the land, speeding, scraping your lovely Wings into the tarmac, endevouring to emulate Troy Bayliss or some one!!!:DWhat happened to sedately floating around, eating up the miles, watching the lovely countyside slowly go by?:baffled:

I have this funny vision of Wingdawg, scraping his a**e on the ground as he balances precariously on the bike, with his legs outstretched , knees somewhere up by the handlebars.:goofygrin::goofygrin:

reccommend you all either, sell your Wings and buy Fireblades, or get aZZR 1100to join the crotch rockets that you are racing!!!

I don't know about changing from boards to pegs, half of you guys need rearsets, and single seats, maybe swop the bars for clip ons and whilst your at it, why not remove those boxes, with the aerodynamics of a house brick!!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Yours, posing and enjoying the countyside,

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
On my 1500 it's the pegs that drag first. Although once in awhile it's the toe of my boot.
Shouldn't upshift while you're turning left!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
You are all a bunch of maniacs out there!!!!:shock::shock:Breaking the laws of the land, speeding, scraping your lovely Wings into the tarmac, endevouring to emulate Troy Bayliss or some one!!!:DWhat happened to sedately floating around, eating up the miles, watching the lovely countyside slowly go by?:baffled:

I have this funny vision of Wingdawg, scraping his a**e on the ground as he balances precariously on the bike, with his legs outstretched , knees somewhere up by the handlebars.:goofygrin::goofygrin:
reccommend you all either, sell your Wings and buy Fireblades, or get aZZR 1100to join the crotch rockets that you are racing!!!

I don't know about changing from boards to pegs, half of you guys need rearsets, and single seats, maybe swop the bars for clip ons and whilst your at it, why not remove those boxes, with the aerodynamics of a house brick!!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete
I guess it's all about having the cake and also wanting to eat it! What fun is a motorcycle if you don't scrape the pegs once-in-a-while. Might as well get a cage without a top.:weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
exavid wrote:
Shouldn't upshift while you're turning left!
For some reason it's usually my right boot!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

HERE! HERE! I agree 100 percent with Silverfox.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:

A GOLDWING 1800..THATS WHAT HAPPENED ..:D:D:DCIARAN..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey Pete, for the most part I do ride pretty sedately with the occasional twist of throttle when alone on the bike on a nice bendy road. While I don't think the fairings and windshield add much to the looks of a bikeI do appreciate their fending off the rain and wind which enables me to ride more. But I draw the line at old man stuff such as back rests, floorboards, heated grips, tall windshields and that kind of folderol. I gotta get some motorcycle experience out of this machine. And that includes the rare but fulfilling spark or two from the pegs. Maybe when I get old I'll add some of that stuff.

But I doubt it!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hey Pete, for the most part I do ride pretty sedately with the occasional twist of throttle when alone on the bike on a nice bendy road. While I don't think the fairings and windshield add much to the looks of a bikeI do appreciate their fending off the rain and wind which enables me to ride more. But I draw the line at old man stuff such as back rests, floorboards, heated grips, tall windshields and that kind of folderol. I gotta get some motorcycle experience out of this machine. And that includes the rare but fulfilling spark or two from the pegs. Maybe when I get old I'll add some of that stuff.

But I doubt it!
Well I normally drive sedately, but I have also been known to put a bike to it's limits back when I was younger, and every now and then I have a need for speed. It's still nice to know that as I have grown older, there is still a spark of youth that comes out to play every now and again. I'm just more cautious than I used to be, Mama has too big of policy on me, and I ain't ready for her to collect.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

I guess it's all about having the cake and also wanting to eat it! What fun is a motorcycle if you don't scrape the pegs once-in-a-while. Might as well get a cage without a top.:weightlifter:
Ok so I am lucky, I do have a rag top car, and it eats Porches for breakfast. Well it's the girlfriends, but she lets me drive it if I am a good boy!!:)

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Must be a "Mini Cooper S"?!:baffled:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.