Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok guys heres my situationj. I was riding with a very dirty car, I used to get 37 MPG.

I plled my carbs and cleaned all the blocked jets. I may have scratched the inside of the slow jets while trying to clear it. I am sure I did not enlarge the hole.

I reset the floats to 7.5mm measure with a slide ruler/square. (some were off)

I reset the pilot screws to 3 1/2 turns out but didnt preform the idle drop procedure.

I synced the carbs and gained tons of power.

I replaced my exhaust with harley roadking pipes with no cross over tube.

Here are my symptoms.

When i start first thing in the morning i have to twist the throttle a bit with a quick crank. I then open teh choke to keep her running.After 2 minutes it sounds to me that the carbs are loading up . The idle drops and I have to twist the throttle to clear and tehn it continueds to run until warm. 2 bars i pull off and close the choke. runs low on the idle for a few miles then rests at 950 - 1050 rpm.

My bike backfires on decel in gear./ When I downshift and use engine braking.

I am now getting 25mpg. The thing here is I have only run her 20 miles a day. Wghich includes morning and afternoon warm up, and I have been redlining her a lil due to teh excitement of increased power, but not overdoing it. today i filled up after 108 miles and filled with 4.125 gallons.

I shut my pet**** off everytime I park because my pump has been allowing fuel to leak into the cyls. I started her one day and saw raw fuel pour out of the exhuast pipe.Didi I do everything right and should I just be concerned with the leaky fuel pump?

I have tried rinding till 2800 rpm before shifts as well as 4500 before shifts

She is runing great. SHifts nice goes from idle to redline with no hicups in first 3 gears. i have yet to redline in 4th and 5th gears.:action:

Sorry for the long post But i wanted to cover every variable.

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

It is the float needles letting gas leak into the cylinders, not the fuel pump. The float levels are too high or the needle valves are leaking. that would account for the bad economy too.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I tried tuning the pilot screw in 1 and 1/2 truns in and no difference if ga smilage/

i will be taking the carbs off once more. What am I missing. Should I try setting the floats to 8.5 mm. Will this lean out the mixture.Measure them from the gasket surface with the tab just touching the float nipple and not compressing it. A lower hanging float should shut fuel off sooner correct?

Are the pilot screws considered the mixture screws?

If so turning it in shoudl lean the mixture shouldnt it, So far I am at 2 turns out from seated position. Should I turn in some more.

The manual shows the pilot screws out and they should have a spacer ,springs and an oring. I dont remember having to reinstall any o-ring. Non came out when i pulled the pilot screws.

25mpg is not cutting it.

I also have a leaky fuel pump but its not pouring out.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

After all I read on both manuls . i believe I hav to set the floats to a lower setting to lean out the mixture

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

this must be a unique and difficult question, as no one has any feedback.
Guess its just trial and error from here on.

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

Sorry you were left hanging. Yes lowering the float setting will be more effective then the mixture adjustment. Let the floats set just lightly on the needles, enough to shut off the flow but not compressed. You can verify by turning the carbs upside down, attach a hose to the fuel inlet and blow on it while lifting up on one float at a time to see where it starts to allow air through.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I was going to change them for good measure when i redid the carbs but aftermarket plugs not NGK have a different male end so I had to keep the originals which were lightly sooted. I brushed them up and put them back. After riding 100miles on this rich setting I will definetly remove them and take a picture .I expect them to be sooted and nearly fouled by the time I get them out. I need to use the bnike to get to work all week nevermind last week and the 80 mile test ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.