Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I stopped riding sport bikes a few years back and picked up a 1993 wing, i wasnt sure I was going to like it but I do. Now I think I might step up to an 1800, theres nothing wrong my 1500 I just want something newer anyone trade up and wish they hadnt?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

If you can manage it, go for it.

More power, better brakes, and lighter.

Kinda like a touring bike on sport bike steroids.

You won't regret it.:action:

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

Just do it!!!,,the big dog dosnt disappoint,, all the best pp

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I've never had an 1500 but I love my 1800. Very sporty, handles very well and very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

An amazing ride in my opinion stupid fast for a touring bike. We did change he seat but wouldn't trade if for anything else now.
Handles great, took me a while to relax, finger prints in the grips.
You won't be disappointed

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Loved my 1500, but it cant hold a candle to my new-to-me 1800. Better brakes, better mpg's, more power, etc. The only downfall I can talk about is the slightly less storage. But, a cheap harbor freight trailer will more than overcome that, and still get better mileage, lol...

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

....what they said...

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I have only had mine a couple of days,had the new bmw 1600 for a couple of months and decided it wasn't for me.I love this bike and wish I had bought one years ago so sweet to drive.
I have had bmw's for over 10 years but this 1800 is far better in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I collected my new Wing about 11 weeks ago and LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. I used to ride a CBR1100XX Blackbird and ZX9R before that and I wouldn't go back now.

Sports bike are for the racetrack....the Wing is king of the road......and your partner will love it too...

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

You won't be sorry if you go 18, it is quite a ride.....:action:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I'll have to throw in a counterpoint. I have a 1200, and like it fine so far, though I've only ridden it about 300 miles, It turned out to have some serious mechanical problems, and I am in the process of fixing those right now. When I am done and on the road, I believe I'll be happy with it.

I had considered moving up to a 1500 when I discovered all the work my 1200 needed, but decided not to invest the money, especially since I tend to like the smaller four cylinder bikes, and they are a LOT easier to work on. If I can't work on it, I don't want it. As far as I can see is the 1500 is way more comfortable, and holds more stuff, both important things to take into consideration. It also has carbs, which I like. It is much harder to work on, but still possible.

The 1800 seems to be a step backwards. Yes, it is faster and handles better, but to me that is not important in a touring bike. I wouldn't be racing it. It is less comfortable than the 1500, and does not hold as much, yet it is bigger and heavier. It costs WAY more than a 1500, and is almost impossible to work on due to all the computerized engine controls and fuel injection. I think Honda simply went to far with that one. Also, I refuse to tow a trailer with a bike, so it it won't fit on the bike, it don't go. I would rather drive a convertible than tow a trailer.

If you already have a nice dependable 1500 that you trust to take you wherever you want to go, I would most definitely keep it. I do understand the urge to get something new, and when I was younger I was constantly trading cars and bikes. But now that I have gotten older, I find myself wanting to keep what I have, and keep it going. I got my '85 1200 LTD cheap, and did not have to get rid of any other of my bikes to get it. I have plenty of storage room. I am 52, and the only bike I can see someday getting rid of is my Ninja 500, because the day is coming when I simply won't be able to ride it. I will keep the 1200 Goldwing for as long as I can keep it going.

All of the above is just my feelings and opinions, and not based on provable facts. But I have been on the Goldwing forums for sometime now, ever since getting my 1200, and have yet to see any reason why I would want an 1800 over a 1500. In fact, it seems to be the other way around.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Actually the 1800 weighs less than the 1500!!:waving:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Can't get my husband off his. If it wasn't for a seat cut so I could ride the old 1100, it would have gone to e-bay..

·
Premium Member
61,364 Posts
imported post

JerryH

Hit the nail on the head.. the 1500 can't be beat for comfort, space and cruising..

If you're coming from a sport bike and like to play,the 1500 in the hands of a good rider in the tight twisty will walk away froma stock1800.. The 1500 has way more ground clearance..

I like my 1800 now, but it's taken a year and 20k miles to bend the body to fit it..

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

HAD A 1500 LOVED IT.BUT I HAVE NEVER REGREATED TRADEING FOR THE 1800 BEST BIKE I EVER RODE

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I have noticed it is shorter than the 1500 and I have been scraping the hwy pegs on it now... so if the 1800 is lower that could be a issue for me and the knee room is a bit less, but I like the look and I would like the up grades over my 93 its a tuff choice my dad always said if it aint broke dont fix it.....

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I've owned every size Wing from a GL1000 to my present 1800, including two 1500's.

I loved them all, but the 1800 is the finest Wing made so far......

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
JerryH

Hit the nail on the head.. the 1500 can't be beat for comfort, space and cruising..

If you're coming from a sport bike and like to play, the 1500 in the hands of a good rider in the tight twisty will walk away from a stock 1800.. The 1500 has way more ground clearance..

I like my 1800 now, but it's taken a year and 20k miles to bend the body to fit it..

I haven't ridden a 1500 yet but after riding the 1800 through lots of twisties in the mountains, I can't imagine the 1500 walking away from it. I'd love to see someone do an actual comparison between the two.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

A comparison between the 1500 and the 1800 in performance only would be great. I'm not talking about creature comforts and storage space, I'm talking about how they handle the twisties as well as other things. Maybe we should suggest this to Top Gear. :)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Something else I've been reluctant to bring up, because there are members here of all different income levels and financial situations. While I could afford 5K-6K for a decent 1500, three times that for an 1800 is simply out of the question. I could literally buy a brand new car for that. And while I have no interest in brand new cars, I'm just not going to pay that kind of money for any kind of motorcycle. The main appeal of motorcycles to me has always been their basic, elemental nature, and reasonable price. I really have no interest in a 2 wheeled car that costs as much as a 4 wheeled car, but without A/C.

I fully realize most Goldwing riders do not feel this way, and do not have the least problem with that. If you want it and can afford it, go for it. I just don't really want it (I would most likely never even play with all those toys) and definitely can't afford it.

I have been yelled at for removing all the toys from my 1200 LTD, but none of them worked anyway, it was a $1200 bike, which is going to cost me about another $1000 to get back on the road in decent mechanical condition, without the toys. I would have had no idea how to fix all that stuff, or even what parts I needed to look for. Just fixing the stuff it actually needs to run has taken a lot longer and cost a lot more than I first thought.

I love the Goldwing design, everything from the engine to the fairing, bags, and trunk. But I am aiming for something similar to a barebones '80 Interstate.

I may move up to a 1500 at some point, if I can find one that does not need all the work the 1200 did, And if I do, I will consider that to be as far as I can go. Like I said, I actually prefer it to the 1800. Finding one in decent shape will be a challenge, considering the age these bikes are getting to be. One of the biggest problems I had with the 1200 was lack of parts, and that will soon be the case with the 1500.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.