Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm new to this forum and would like to get other riders opinion on triking my '98 1500. I havebeen looking at a Roadsmith conversion. My 1500 Aspencade has 36,000 miles and is in very good condition. I bought this bike new in 2000. Kit would be installed at local honda dealer that does Roadsmith conversions. Checked at a independent Roadsmith installer and he offered me $6000.00 sight unseen on trade for a '03 1800 IRS Motortrike he has just completed. Would like to hear some pros and cons of converting my 1500.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

Are you happy with the way the 1500 performs and how the seat position feels to your rump?

If you are, then I would consider the upgrade to a trike conversion. You have a known quanity with the stability of the trike conversion added. It will continue to give you many more years of good service.

Trading your bike in for the 1800 trike even with the $6k allowance (fair to me) will probably be more expensive.

I would want to have a trial run on that '03 1800 before I made up my mind on the difference between them. Does the seat position feel good to you?

Never rode a trike, so others will have to address the performance issues with you. But either one should be a good choice.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

The added weight and rotating mass of a trike conversion does cost some power but when just riding with a passenger it is not really noticeable. These bikes have plenty of power to start with so a little extra work for the motor does not make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
imported post

Airgun1
Been playing with the same thought, but was thinking the Champion kit. My 99SE is currently at 35000 miles. But they want 11 grand for the conversion so it gives me pause for thought.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Just did a trike conversion with a champion kit for a friend on a 94 SE. If you have any skills it was a very easy install. It does cut down on the power as you are pulling more weight and turning a larger differential. The kit and instructions were very well written and lots of pictures. It took about 25 hours to do the conversion but I think I could do another in about 12 as after you do it once the second time is quicker! Don't know what they are quoting you for the install. Can you tell me what they quoted you?
My friends kit cost about 10k but he got the 4.5 degree tripletree and had them paint the body twotone to match his SE paint. The paint matched great! He upgraded wheels and a few other things so I don't know how it compares with what you are looking at.
PM me with an Email address and I'll send you a Picture. I've looked at Skips trike conversions and was amazed at his skill and ingenuity !
Mind you I'm prejudiced but if it was me I'd go to the 03 if the price was right! Lots more power and the independent suspension. Good luck on what ever you decide!:action:
Bill

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The kit installed, painted and most options including the extra gas tank would be over $13,000.00. The Roadsmith kit has independent rear suspension and would be installed with a 3 degree steering kit. The kits for the 1800 and 1500 are almost identical so handling would be the same on both bikes. Even with my trade I would be looking at close to $20K difference with Motortrike IRS kit. Last time I checked the Champion kit was not IRS for the 1500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.