Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time bike rider, first time potential touring rider.

I have some property and my friend has his bikes stored here, outside, were under tarps, are now rotted and exposed, 2 years...one was a rider years ago (how many ??) , the other is apart but all parts are there. They are both GL1100, the complete one is an Interstate, the other has all aftermarket saddle bags, trunk etc. They both look rough, in my opinion. Could probably clean up the one pretty well, chrome is okay...all the brake levers, pedal, throttle etc are stuck....The Interstate has (at least ) 100,000KM (62,000 miles) the other one shows 23,000km.

I asked him what his plans are for them today...awaiting a reply, I would imagine in this unknown state, the value would be pretty low. I would think maybe $200-$400 for the pair, but who knows. I would like to hear some opinions on approximate value as I know ZERO about these bikes, I know it's hard to say without seeing them in person..I just don't want to get into something not worthwhile...it's not like these are really rare. ;)

I hadn't really planned on a touring bike but after doing a little reading in the last few days, these are pretty cool bikes. Looking forward to hearing some opinions.

cheers

·
Registered
991 Posts
Pretty rough. Do you like projects?
If you spend $3k you will have a bike worth $1k
If you don't care about how it looks or if it is reliable, you could just get it running and ride it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Those are parts bike now. You'll spend less money buying a nice running one than you'll spend trying to resurrect those.
Run Away!!

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
If, big if, the engines are not stuck they are worth a couple hundred, stuck they are yard ornaments.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oldwings are not an inexpensive proposition. If it is a long term project you are looking for, and having something a t the end, go for it. Parts/pieces, doing your own work is the key to resurrecting an oldwing. As others have mentioned, if it's touring you want, get a good used one of that vintage that is already on the road, or a roadworthy 1500/1800. An oldwing can chew up $3K dollars very easily, especially here in Canada where we are heavily dependent on going to the US and other countries for new/used parts. Canadian providers use USD in pricing as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate your input. Good to know that they are pricey to restore before I jump in. If I can get them for dirt cheap, then I may just do it for fun, or aggravation. :rolleyes: I'll look at them like this, if I can get the Interstate up and running and it looks like it will be a good runner, I can clean it up, paint it myself and do a little customizing without breaking the bank. Otherwise, it's a small price to pay to get some more bike experience, and sell them on for parts.

I'll keep you posted...he may not even want to part with them...still waiting for his answer. He did ride the Interstate a few years back...so hopefully still a runner after some tuning.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If I can get them for dirt cheap, then I may just do it for fun, or aggravation.
Even if he gives them to you, it's too much! Just the title transfers fees will be more than those bikes are worth!
Set down and start pricing the obvious things they need. That should temper your enthusiasm.

Seriously, find a running bike to play with!

Rayjoe

·
Nodnocdar
32 Posts
The idea of restoring one of the Wings is ill advised. The list of parts alone could easily top $1000 and there is always the chance that some key part will not be available. If that were to happen then the already spent $600 - $800 might be a waste. I have been riding and working on Wings since 1985. Three weeks ago me and a friend started to fix a 1992 SE that had 70k on the OD. The bike had been stored in an unheated garage for the last 13 years. We knew the owner who had died and the son had the Wing. All of the usual things were problematic. Fork seals, tires, battery, no brakes front or back, clutch had gone try and there was brown residue in the bowl. There was only 3 quarts of oil in the engine, the water pump was leaking and the hose connections were weeping with several rubber hoses gone bad. The inside of the gas tank had a film that resembled rusty paste. The fuel pump would not work and none of the switches on the handle bars would function. The painted surfaces, windshield and vinyl had a grayish caste that resembled hard water deposits. My buddy is a certified award winning GM mechanic and we are both retired so we started on the Wing. We took all the tupper ware off the bike except the top of the fairing. That allow us to sit at a bench with an air buffer and polish each piece to remove the gray caste. Then we could inspect all the exposed surfaces for find damage and clean each electrical connection. The windshield surprisingly cleaned up but it took 30 minutes per side. We have been working on the bike constantly for 4-6 hours a day and I guess we already have about 100 man-hours in the repair. The finish work will take another 20-30 mHrs. The bill for the parts is now about $850.00. So if you use a shop rate of $70. per hour and allow our work to be less efficient. Then the labor could easily run around $5000. I love to work on the Wing and this had been fun for me and my pal. So with half the money you can easily buy a working Wing. Another alternative is to find a couple of duffers with 30-40 years of wrenching with at least 10 years on Wings and then have them work for free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts