Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm thinking of looking for a gl 1500 this winter Iwould like to know which year if any I should be careful with when selecting a1500 Thanks .

Ride With Pride TJ859

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
I'm thinking of looking for a gl 1500 this winter Iwould like to know which year if any I should be careful with when selecting a1500 Thanks .

Ride With Pride TJ859
I don't think there are any bad years for the 1500. Look over Steve's Goldwing history, he pretty well tells you the differences. I was looking for a 93 or later when I bought mine mainly to get the needle bearing rockers. Some accessories fit the later 1500s and don't fit the first three years or so. What I'd look for is a well kept and maintained bike, lower mileage is nice, but cosmetics make a big difference since it's expensive to replace or repair the plastics. All in all I'd prefer an older bike in excellent condition to a later one that was so-so. Keep an eye on eBay and the GWRRA for sale board to get a good feel for prices. I would recommend an Aspy over an Interstate for the reverse and cruise control. Once again though, if there's a terrific deal on the Interstate one can live without the reverse and could adapt an automobile cruise.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply exavid Ihave been watching ebay there are more bikes all the time just watched a 96 low miler go for a good price I'm thinking around that year low miler My next bike will probably be my last so I want one that will run strong for 10 or 12 years the twilight of my riding days. Iwill check out Steves Goldwing History.

Ride With Pride TJ859

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think any of them will last that long. I'm hoping for another 10-14 years or so riding if I'm lucky. Never going to last as long as REDWING, I like eating and indolence too much! Unless gold falls out of the sky it's not likely there's an 1800 in my future, but I'll be very happy to keep my 93 running in good shape for that long. It's got 98,000 miles right now and I fully expect to keep her going for 200,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

TJ859 :    How glum !!!                    You don't stop riding because you get old .... You get old  because you stop riding... Cheer up ... You may get two more bikes yet !!!!.................. at the WA Olympics rally In Pt. Townsend  last weekend.. there was a 77 yo  fellow who rode to the rally on his wing, with his 74 yo sweetie...   He gives us all hope.. SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I would strongly recommend against getting one wthout the reverse. I know I wouldn't like mine if it didn't have it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
I would strongly recommend against getting one wthout the reverse. I know I wouldn't like mine if it didn't have it.
I managed to get stuck once with my 1200, I could have pushed it out backwards if I could have gotten off and pushed. Unfortunately the ground was soft and wouldn't hold up the bike on the side stand. I stood there holding up the bike like a fool until a good Samaritan noticed my plight and helped with a push. It didn't take much at all to get out but I couldn't do it by myself. That day I decided if I had to sell the house I'd get me a 1500 with reverse. I LOVE REVERSE! Now I'll admit that most aren't dumb enough to get into a pickle like that, but it sure is nice to know it won't happen again to me.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Don't know how tall you are, but if you're at all challenged in that department look for a '95 or later. That's the year they lowered the seat by a full inch!

Dave

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The '88's - '90's all had reverse, cruise and the upgradable stereo, the Interstates '91 - ?? didn't.

The Aspencades were real similiar to the '88 - '90's.

The SEI's had a few more things thrown in. I believe that it was '94 when the C.B. became standard on the SEI's.

If a C.B. is something that you're thinking about, make sure it comes with the bike.

Don't worry too much about miles, they should run 2-300,000 miles.

They all have some problems, most are easily overcome, vacuum leaks being the most common, the older bikes have more vacuum leaks than the newer, (hoses are older).

Reverse is a bonus as we get older. The Interstates were the only ones without it.

Still easy to get parts, although some of the body parts are getting expensive, aftermarket parts still readily available.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks again exavid, from the info off the Goldwing History page and the feed back from everyoneit sounds like the 97 1500 with the internal engine components and final drive from the Valcery with reverse [thanks cldryder] will be the 1500 towatch for.Didn't mean to sound glum SilverDave the mention of the 77 year old with the 74 year old co-rider gives me hope Thanks I just refuse to ever resort to riding a trikebecause I can't hold my bike up any longerdavesaul saddle hight is important to me alsoI'm 5' 9" Thanks to all.

Ride With Pride TJ589

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the reply Tonys96 more usefull info.

Ride With Pride TJ859

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.