Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 LTD
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s ugly. I’m glad I decided to do this today before going on the ride I’m planning tomorrow. Piston was pretty stuck in that position. Lots of surface corrosion. Cleaned as best I could in the cylinder but there’s still remnants of corrosion based discoloration. It’s shiny from my polishing though

Hand Finger Automotive tire Auto part Wood

·
Registered
1999 GL1500SE
286 Posts
That is one nasty looking slave cylinder!! Trying to recall what products would clean it up by just soaking and not damage aluminum. Brain is on strike I think. Alternate is to use white 3M scrubby pads and lots of elbow grease, maybe even some Dawn dish washing soap in warm water. Don't laugh guys, Dawn cleans almost anything!! Well, except for dirty minds but oh well!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've just bought my first 1200 (interstate) and this is the forth article about stuck or corroded slave cylinders. Adding this to the Investigate File. I have already identified Trac problems, leaking fork seals, home made exhaust header extension pipes, 1 too long and the other too short, a far too long starter motor cable, (9 inches too long!, it looks like a factory made piece), the start solenoid still has that silly tin 30A fuse instead of a plug in, the Alpine radio im not holding out on, I am looking forward to getting it road worthy for next spring.. While i`m here does anyone know why a rebuilt starter clutch fails to engage? Of coarse, i don't see how it functions anyway, 3 shiny rollers on a smooth surface grab exactly what? Ditto Limpy45, Dawn dish soap works great on almost every odd cleaning job I've tried.

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
That silly tin fuse has worked for a long time, bet the blade fuse won't last that long but it is easier to find a replacement.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,852 Posts
That silly tin fuse has worked for a long time, bet the blade fuse won't last that long but it is easier to find a replacement.
the O'Reilly's Auto Stores carry that Tin Fuse, it is in a box marked Honda 30A or 50A fuse, they have both of them.

·
Registered
1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 LTD
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got this cylinder rebuilt and installed. The clutch responsiveness is worlds different than what it was prior. Never had a hydraulic clutch before on a motorcycle so this was a new experience.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,852 Posts
hydraulic clutch:
they are great when kept serviced properly.

My little Piaggio Scooter uses Cables period.... instant response on that thing.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
669 Posts
I will try and explain the starter,

The rollers are an exact round size
The gear is an exact round cylinder

The slot the rollers go in, in the casing has a slight taper so at one end the rollers are trapped and at the other end, there is room for the rollers to spin free

The springs and caps preload the rollers.

Does that help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts