Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oThis bike was running perfect. I was bragging about it. Told an employee to take a ride to see. As he drove off I heard a miss. Next day when I started it missed even more. Wondered, "Is my stator going bad?" Tested OK. All three wires show same output voltage something like 6 volts. Every spark plug is firing. Yet I can pull #2 plug and see it fire and it makes no difference in how engine runs. ???? I replaced coils, plugs, plug wires, rectifier and CDI. No difference. Sounds like only running on 2 cylinders yet all 4 plugs are sparking. Pulled off timing cover to see if it jumped a tooth. No - everything looks fine and I replaced belts just in case. Oh - prior to all this I installed new carburetor set up. Simplified by removing the four, buying a manifold to run a single VW Carb. Did this on an 82 GL1100 I own and it runs so sweet. So simple. This bike did too but then something changed & I do not know what.

This thing is hard to start and backfires out the carb. I have no eyelashes and eyebrows left. HERE IS WHAT IS REALLY WEIRD............ If I pull clutch lever in with trans in neutral it runs much better. Not right but better. If bike is at 1500 rpm's - in neutral and I let clutch out the bike will stutter and stall. Figured clutch is out. So I replaced that yesterday too. Did not change a thing. Nothing I have done has changed anything. I have a fortune invested in the original parts and replacement parts and no combination of switching parts makes any difference! What could this be? Don in Canton OH

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
The stator has nothing to do with the ignition other than charging the battery. The test you did doesn't work anyway. The clutch has nothing to do with it either. What you have is a bad ground, green wire on the front coil bolt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stator has nothing to do with the ignition other than charging the battery. The test you did doesn't work anyway. The clutch has nothing to do with it either. What you have is a bad ground, green wire on the front coil bolt.
WOW - I hope you are correct - Will be trying that today! THANK YOU

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Green wire was grounded but to be safe I replaced it. No difference. Terrible miss like plug wires are on wrong coil posts. Any other idea?

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Green wire was grounded but to be safe I replaced it. No difference. Terrible miss like plug wires are on wrong coil posts. Any other idea?
It sure sounds like a bad ground, pulling the clutch in is the clue to that. Try attaching another ground wire to the green wires at the voltage regulator. Also check charging voltage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have been in error calling the Ignition Pulse Generator a Stator. I just used an OHM Meter to check Ignition Pulse Generator and it passed with each coil measuring 530 + or 1 50 ohms. Clymer says if the ignition coils check out and the Ignition Pulse Generator checks out the spark unit is at fault & must be replaced. Those things look easy enough to change. Anyone agree with Clymer?Mine look fine - the epoxy has not melted and dripped out.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Just a guess but what about a partial flywheel key sheared?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I have been in error calling the Ignition Pulse Generator a Stator. I just used an OHM Meter to check Ignition Pulse Generator and it passed with each coil measuring 530 + or 1 50 ohms. Clymer says if the ignition coils check out and the Ignition Pulse Generator checks out the spark unit is at fault & must be replaced. Those things look easy enough to change. Anyone agree with Clymer?
If you have confirmed it has spark at the plugs the spark units are good, they seldom fail. If it has spark on the front or rear but not both try switching the spark units and see if it changes to the other pair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts