1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All
The saga continues
After having got the bike running (albeit a bit rough) I put it away and came back next day and it wouldn't start, so I bit the bullet on sunday last and ordered a set of carb refurb packs.
I got in from work last night and decided to remove carbs in preparation of getting the packs from the post office this morning, it looked easy on paper but took me nearly 3 hours most of which was spent trying to manouver the loose carbs out of the frame

Has anyone got any tips and tricks for putting them back in?

I would like to get this beast running reasonably well sometime this century :action:

Regards rob

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

miroku800 wrote:
Hi All
The saga continues
After having got the bike running (albeit a bit rough) I put it away and came back next day and it wouldn't start, so I bit the bullet on sunday last and ordered a set of carb refurb packs.
I got in from work last night and decided to remove carbs in preparation of getting the packs from the post office this morning, it looked easy on paper but took me nearly 3 hours most of which was spent trying to manouver the loose carbs out of the frame

Has anyone got any tips and tricks for putting them back in?

I would like to get this beast running reasonably well sometime this century :action:

Regards rob
Not sure exactly what you are doing as I am not there, but to loosen the intake elbows and turn them certainly helps.

Kit

·
Premium Member
217 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

Remove the rhs carb domes (& maybe pistons). The carbs come out from the lhs a "bit easier" then.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for all that but I do now have the carbs out and I am looking for any tips and tricks to getting them back in!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Well, keep the right side caps off the cabs until the carbs are in, reroute your throttle cables outside the frame and hook them up with the carbs only half way in(this leaves them outside but actually work better in MHO), remove the fuel filter it gives you a little more room to maneuver, remove the left side crash bars if they are in the way, turning the intakes can help but you are not supposed to move them??? it breaks the seal,

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I put mine back in with the elbows off. Once you have the throttle cables connected dip the elbow rubbers in hot water. That will make them much easier to get on.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,787 Posts
imported post

Ditto on installing with elbows off. Caution, never (turn) the elbows. This will booger up the alignment notches in the rubber seals. Good luck with project. Go to

http://www.randakks.com tech tips. Read all about rebuilding carbs. Most procedures are the same for gl1000 and gl1100.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Everything everybody else said is good, but I may suggest loosening the fairing and removing the lower left metal fairing part. It interferes with swinging the carbs out. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 screws are below the plastic of the top fairing piece, so you must lift up the fairing to get to them. I didn't remove the whole fairing though.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Also there is a bolt in the engine mounting bracket that got in my way. This bracket drops straight down just inboard of the intake runners from the frame to the top of the engine case in front of the carbs. Loosen the top bolt on the left side to get the threads out of your way. You did remove the carbs from the left side right? I also recommend removing the right side caps and the intakes. As mentioned above the intake boots can be heated in water to re install. Use a little grease to hold the o- rings in their grooves in the intakes for re installation. Good luck. Keep at it the old girl is worth it.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for all the ideas it all helps and is most useful when I get things back up hopefully over the weekend things might be looking ( and sounding ) better

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

It also helps to remove the one bolt that holds the fuel tank in place and move the tank back a little. It's not much but does make a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have removed and installed 1100 interstate carbs like 10 times. its a little hard the first time. but once you figure out how to pull them. ok after you have the air cleaner assembly off, remove the right side vacuum chamber covers, on the left side, remove the water pipe that is between the 2 and 4 intakes. remove choke cable then pull carbs to the left, undo throttle cables and carbs and finally take them away from the bike!!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

Typically it should take 20-30 minutes to remove the carbs...right domes off, cables off, elbows off and they slide out the right side....installation is the reverse...the old bike link will help

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Leave right side elbows off until you have the carbs roughly in place. Then put them on.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have it covered now. I would only add one thing I learned by accident. To remove the heat sheild bolts that are under the "lip" of the fairing, you can just tilt it up. 1: loosen the four fairing nuts that are under the horizontal rails on each side of the scooter; don't remove the nuts. The rear needs maximum play. 2: between the fork tube and the fairing there is a radiused cowl bracket that is adjustable/ slotted on one end. One of the fasteners is accessable from reaching inside the fairing, the other is under the exterior front on each side. These are not the exposed fairing screws in the front but the bracket. I assume they were made for alignment or to adjust pressure under the fairing nose. When they are loose the fairing will just rotate forward to allow access to the heat shield screws without removing the fairing. A secondary note, whenI do remove the fairing and replace it, I loosen this same bracket and apply slight upward pressure to the nose of the fairing then tighten to assure it is carrying the load of the nose. I hope this is clear enough that when you look you will understand. dj

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

It gets worse I have just discovered some stupid b-----d has applied 'gasket goo' or thread locker to the mixture screws.

needless to say they are solid

So solid that after drilling one out I can't even lift the remaining brass threads away from the carb body threads

Oh the joys of working on something someone else has been at first

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

after a lot more effort I have got all the mixture screws out and it even looks as if I have saved the one that had to be drilled out

looks like I am back on track

I will not let this beast beat me!!!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

that's the spirit!!! these aren't that hard to work on at all!

and for me just alittle wiggling in the correct directions and the cards slide out the left side of the bike. i never disconnect the coolant tubes, right or left elbows, or either side of the domes. i'm sure it is eaiser with them off, but saves me time after getting them in :)

good luck let us know if ya need anything

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I have been watching and reading this will a lot of interest..Good tips from everyone..This is what makes this "The Worlds Greatest Gold Wing Forum"...But after reading all this I hope that I never have to take my carbs off.....Because if I do...I'm just going to pull the whole motor....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:...Well it sounds easier !!!!!

Claude...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.