Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I topped out the wing and headed out....got out to the boonies and thought I had better top out as I was headed for the middle of no where...odo said 55 ..bike took 1 gallon and some change...:wtf:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Yea, that could be about right. If your averaging 40 - 44 Miles per gallon, 1.2 +- .2 gallons should cover it!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that could be about right. If your averaging 40 - 44 Miles per gallon, 1.2 +- .2 gallons should cover it!

Well I never was good at math and never paid much attention to MPG..but the way I read it , I got dang near 55 miles to that 1 gallon and change..:?..by the way, every time I think Im ready to sell the old girl, she shows me what a pleasure she is to ride....:bow:....the motorcycle that is..

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Well I never was good at math and never paid much attention to MPG..but the way I read it , I got dang near 55 miles to that 1 gallon and change..:?..by the way, every time I think Im ready to sell the old girl, she shows me what a pleasure she is to ride....:bow:....the motorcycle that is..

Anything that is a pleasure to ride should be kept. No matter waht body style or color. :shock:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I did a "controlled study" on my 1200 LTD over about 10,000 miles. Averaged just over 35 mpg. Plugs look good, but it failed the Maricopa county emissions test.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
but it failed the Maricopa county emissions test.
One of the most expensive places in the country to own a vehicle of any kind. Lived out there years ago Jerry. Still have Family in Tempe. Them testing places have no sympathy. :)

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Depends on how much change.
I average 40-42 mpg on my 1500 riding conservatively.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
When I got my 91 Wing it had 51k on it.
Our first several rides (2-up) I regularly got 47 mpg and 1-up I did hit 52 once.
After the initial break-in period (me due to how expensive parts are if I crash) it dropped to 44-46.
Now that I'm really comfy with it, I get at best 42mpg with non-ethanol...
ethanol about 32-38 when I try to take it EZ.
About 3600-3800 rpms is your make/break on fuel mileage.
And my Wing has a really tall windshield.
;)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
When I got my 91 Wing it had 51k on it.
Our first several rides (2-up) I regularly got 47 mpg and 1-up I did hit 52 once.
After the initial break-in period (me due to how expensive parts are if I crash) it dropped to 44-46.
Now that I'm really comfy with it, I get at best 42mpg with non-ethanol...
ethanol about 32-38 when I try to take it EZ.
About 3600-3800 rpms is your make/break on fuel mileage.
And my Wing has a really tall windshield.
;)
I think the tall windshields hurt MPG maybe. My 88 got about 37mpg with a tall shield on E10.
My 95 normally gets 40-42mpg and that is on the 10% Ethanol also but has a shorter windshield.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yep 40mpg or close when on the slab and around 43-45mpg on two lane roads.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 1.5 cents -- I've observed (calculated) these averages over 6000 miles for the last 6 months --

32-35mpg
starting cold and riding 17 mi to and from work through the winter months, 38-39 running 72ish on the interstates, and 40 - 42MPG riding 2 up on two lane roads 55 - 62 mph.

I hooked up the trailer on Sat and ran for 110 miles on two lanes; calculated 36.5mpg.

I'm thinking the numbers may go a little higher in warmer weather.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
But Sir .... :waving: .... 55 miles on "1 gallon and change" is not 55 mpg.

55 miles on 1.1 gallon is just 50 mpg. I have often seen anywhere from 45 mpg on the low end to over 51 mpg on my '85 GL1200, depending on roads and speeds. Higher speeds, two up, lower mileage. 55 mph easy riding one up, 50 or more mpg is easy. My calculations take into account the slight odometer error.

And I agree, the 1200 is still a great ride .... ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've gotten 51mpg on an 89 1500 wing .I now have a valkyrie and can get 41 while meseying along at 30-50 mph but will only get 25-28 at 80 and above.At tripple digets it is a real gas hog.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
It's like most things if you treat it gentle it will reward you. That said while out playing hard on the CBR I can end up with mileage the same as what I get in My 2ltr Subaru Forster that is fully loaded with all my tools.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
All this talk about gas mileage got me to wondering what MPG my GL1800 was getting? I rode 201 miles on 5.1 gallons of gas for a mpg of 39.411

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
All this talk of MPG is meaningless without knowing what kind of fuel is being used.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've gotten 51mpg on an 89 1500 wing .I now have a valkyrie and can get 41 while meseying along at 30-50 mph but will only get 25-28 at 80 and above.At tripple digets it is a real gas hog.
At triple digits (which it will and has done) even my Silverwing gets pretty hard on fuel. A short high speed run will burn a surprising amount of fuel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.