Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm hoping some of you wiser, older, clearer-thinking types can help me with this.... Here's a 2005 Harley Davidson whatever, with 3400 miles on it! 3400 miles! On a six, seven year old bike! "Never been out in the rain," the guy claims, as if that was something to be proud of.... For some reason, I get irrationally angry at examples of this, the phenomenon I would call "poseur consumerism!" I know, I know..... It's irrational, and doesn't help me any... a guy buys a bike, it's his business how he uses it, or doesn't...

But, criminey! Seven years? 3400 miles? My wife's got that many miles asleep on the back of ours! Lol.....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2720836893.html

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

I just bought an '01 Suzuki DRZ400...sat at the dealership until '05. 1st owner put 45 miles on it before selling it in July. 2nd owner added another 132 before selling it to me in August.

I'm riding the crap out of it!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

CJ,

The guy hasn't ridden in years. He goes and buys a big Harley. His dream come true is actually a nightmare. He puts a few miles on it and realizes he can't handle it and is scared, so it sits. Now he wants to sell it and gives all the reasons why it is a good deal. He is lucky that he didn't hurt himself or someone else in the process. At least he learned from his mistake and is correcting it. His manhood won't let him confess his plight.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

saw one this morning listed on Craigslist ... PERFECT condition... been sitting in the living room for the past 2 years........

I had to read it twice.... http://houston.craigslist.org/bar/2720804344.html

I am blessed to live in Texas where we have to stop riding for the winter between Jan 1st to Jan 4th because of cold weather... I can't imagine NOT putting some miles on a bike in PERFECT condition

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

A few months backs there was a '95 Aspencade in the Austin CL with just 84 miles on it. Still had the paper dealer tags on it, the key in the ignition. Bought at a dealer, drove for 84 miles, then parked in the garage.

It was in pretty rough shape. Lots of rust and crud growing everywhere.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I say more power to him! These are the bikes I love to find. I told my father in law yesterday that there isn't anything I love more than finding a bike with two flat tires and a dead battery.

I think Dub is as close to defining the rational as anyone... people are in love with the "idea" of owning in a bike... not the reality of "riding" one. I call a bike like this "butt jewelery." It's an accessory. What people don't realize is... RIDING is really a lifestyle. It's not fashion. You have to commit to it...

I experienced a similar thing when I used to dabble in British roadsters. I went to buy a slightly use M edition Mazda Miata... (actually it was that same Montego Blue colour that Red's is CJ.) It was show room perfect but had been sitting in a garage for two years. The fella that sold it to me told me that he had wanted one for years, then when he got one, he just sort of drove the new off of it and got tired of it. It was small! The convertible wasn't as much fun as he had imagined. It was loud. It was cold in the winter. blah, blah, blah...

He actually advised me that owning a convertible wasn't as much fun as I probably imagined. That's when I whipped out the wallet pics and showed him the pictures of my Austin Healey and the two Triumphs...

Some folks are just cagers... straight and simple...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Right now, (meaning: usually never :cool:) I've got the patched-crowd around here giving me kudo's for riding in the cold. Means nothing but feels good.

Guy's like you're talking about CJ, ..they rarely even talk to me, approach me,for their own reasons right now.They think (I'm guessing here) they can't because they're not riding and feel less than. I don't know if they realize that it makes me feel awkward, like I've done something wrong. I've got to filterthe stand-offishnessof it all and give my head nods where applicable.

My bike is filthy and I'm looking for a sidecar frame to keep on keeping-on.

It's all good. Some are better-off without a bike though. Some of 'em are kinda scary on one. I don't judge 'em. I just don't ride with 'em. I don't want to be there if they go down.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I have put more miles on per day than he has per year, in fact I have done twice his annual mileage in a day more than once, and I am not a high mileage rider either.

Of course I purchased a 6-7 year old Vulcan for my oldest daughter that had a lot of dust and 000,067.3 original miles on it.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
CJ,

The guy hasn't ridden in years.  He goes and buys a big Harley.  His dream come true is actually a nightmare. 

Dubs

Dubs was close. His nightmare is that he owns a Harley.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Seven years is 728 Saturdays and Sundays.

That's about 4.6 miles per Saturday and Sunday.

Means the bar is just over 2 miles away..

Simple, ain't it?

:?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i know a guy that lives near me went out and bought a brand new corvette off the showroom floor has had it for about 10 years and hasnt even put enuf miles on it to get a oil change due

he might drive it 50-100 miles a year only in the summer and only when there is absolutly no chance of rain

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Its real easy. Its not worth much with miles on it. Our supervisor bought the 2001 anniversary ride queen or whatever it was. BEAUTIFUL scoot. Black with silver. He had it two years and never turned a grand in miles. I put that many on mine riding it home sometimes. The first two years I had my new VTX I clocked ten grand a year. I ride the snot out of mine.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

One of our daughters has decided to learn to ride, and I recently got her a 99' 250 Ninja with 591 miles on it! I have the carbs out right now- it has not been started since 2000!

I guy from m home town bought a brand new harley soon after we graduated high school (mid 70's ) and crated it with only a couple miles on it, last I knew he still has it in the crate. He has other bikes he does ride though.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

jack, this is good. it provides nice modest priced bikes for other people to ride. i am riding a 87-1200 i bought for $700.00 with 32,000 miles. its a very good ride. walkabout :smiler:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Guy at work bought a 05 1100 Shadow, in 2006, he just now has almost 7500 miles on it. I bought my 05 Wing April before last with 12,000 miles, I now have about 48,000 on it, and I probably would had put more on it, if it had not been for a 6 week healing due to an accident last year, and work.:shock:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Seven years is 728 Saturdays and Sundays.

That's about 4.6 miles per Saturday and Sunday.

Means the bar is just over 2 miles away..

Simple, ain't it?

:?
:cheeky1:...yep, pretty simple. I ride about a 1000 a month on my wing. And about 400 amonth on my burgman. I drive a cage when I HAVE to. That means rain.

COLD??? I am still riding.

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

I only have 107,000 on my 08, how embarrassing.

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
:cheeky1:...yep, pretty simple. I ride about a 1000 a month on my wing. And about 400 amonth on my burgman. I drive a cage when I HAVE to. That means rain.

COLD??? I am still riding.

Corpus Christi cold???? HA HA, you don't know what COLD really means down there.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well speakin of that original post my dad bless him tho

i helped him restor his 1950 stuebaker pickup truck we put ALOT of time into it from the frame up re-do didnt do it stock modified it greatly,

we got done with it about 10yrs ago and hes mabe drove it around the block twice in those 10yrs

·
Premium Member
61,370 Posts
imported post

that's what happens when youhave a bar on every corner.......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.