Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read somewhere on this forum about the left saddlebag being hard to open. I have a 2007 model. I read the Service Bulletin pertaining to this issue and yesterday I took my bike to Pasadena Honda in Texas, Houston area. They flat out told me that the part has to be broken to fix it and even then, that's questionable. I asked them to show me where it says it has to be broken to do the service Bulletin. He said he wasn't going to show me anything and that's just the way it will stand.

I had these things that went wrong with my bike.....

1. Left side chrome cover gap mismatch. One week after purchase and they call it normal? Same guy refused to fix it.

2. GPS. I told them it was a software problem but once again, that's normal. It took three months to complete this job.

3. Windshield delamination. Well, how do I know you didn't damage it? Yeah, same guy that probably was trained to do whatever he can to avoid freebies also known as warranties.

4. Left saddlebag trunk release as was mentioned above.

So therefore I choose not to do anymore business with this dealership. If they can't honor their warranties, then they don't get my money either for parts or new bikes either.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Bad service, I can't blame you for avoiding them from here on in. Hope you soon find a good dealer nearby that will look after you a lot better.

One thing about the growth of a site like this, we shall become a force to be reckoned with, wih the power of 14k + members now!!

Maybe Honda and some of these lack lustre dealerships might want to sit up and take notice!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Give yourself a day or two to cool down and then collect the facts. Then sit down and write a letter. I would send it to Honda Corp of America and copy to that dealership.

It is amazing what a well written letter can accomplish.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Wing-Rider wrote:
I read somewhere on this forum about the left saddlebag being hard to open. I have a 2007 model. I read the Service Bulletin pertaining to this issue and yesterday I took my bike to Pasadena Honda in Texas, Houston area. They flat out told me that the part has to be broken to fix it and even then, that's questionable. I asked them to show me where it says it has to be broken to do the service Bulletin. He said he wasn't going to show me anything and that's just the way it will stand.

I had these things that went wrong with my bike.....

1. Left side chrome cover gap mismatch. One week after purchase and they call it normal? Same guy refused to fix it.

2. GPS. I told them it was a software problem but once again, that's normal. It took three months to complete this job.

3. Windshield delamination. Well, how do I know you didn't damage it? Yeah, same guy that probably was trained to do whatever he can to avoid freebies also known as warranties.

4. Left saddlebag trunk release as was mentioned above.

So therefore I choose not to do anymore business with this dealership. If they can't honor their warranties, then they don't get my money either for parts or new bikes either.
Can't help but feel this is becoming widespread in many areas of buisiness,shoddy workmanship,high wages,poor service,lazyness,So these buisiness go belly up or they set up in China or India.More workers out of a job,Maybe they wish they would have done a better job,but its to late.As for the poor service at some Honda dealers,how do they stay in buisiness.Honda quality is very good,very little to go wrong with most bikes,also MC are not selling very well of late....whats left for them to do in their shops......my 2 cents

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

That's just plain ridiculous, they get paid to do warranty work so why wouldn't they want the work? We look for bulletins and other problems the customer may not even know about when a car is in the shop for service, work is work.
The customer appreciates it very much when we inform them we took care of something they didn't know about.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

A complaint to the Better Business Bureau can also do wonders in consumer complaints.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think you must have thrown something at the service manager, or chased him off the floor into his shop. :D

Here is a bit of info on the saddlebag situation. I show Freds fix as an example. Before the fix came from Honda we were all left up to invent things on our own. Most of the time they did not work well, but it made us feel better. I have enclosed the bulletin for the fix too.
saddlebaglatch Photo Gallery by fred harmon at pbase.com

SB15R.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Actually even with the new rod, care does have to be used. A simple push on the saddlebag lids with your knee as you open them, works like a charm. You will never have a problem with the operation of the bags with that simple trick.

If you ever have a problem with the GPS on a run, many time a simple fix for it is to just yank the meter panel and take out four bolts that bolt the panel, come up with a lady's make up mirror and find the reset pin under it, again a hair pin bent to a 90 degree angle will allow you to hit the reset button.

Sorry you got into a situation that leaves a sour taste in your mouth. The 1800 is a great bike, has a few flaws but overall is the best one out there.

Maybe this bulletin will help you in dealing with whomever you chose to go to to show them what they need to do. Sometimes they guys simply do not know so they act as they have.

Kit

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
imported post

Personnally I would call Honda Customer Service at 1-866 784-1870 and let them know what happened. Dealers cannot refuse to service their products. Ive had good luck working with them with a bad dealer.:action:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

You know, I was just talking with the wife the other day about doing a You Tube video on customer service. I think I'm going to have to pursue this because as you all have stated, America's customer service had gone downhill rapidly and is getting past ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I would also prepare a write up to put in your local paper for the section where individuals write in. In it I would state what you bought, what the problems were, where you bought it and their refusal to stand behind it. I would send copies of that letter not only to Honda, but to the dealer as well.

If the dealer has any sense at all, he will realize that something like that will have a very bad effect on his business. Make sure that it states that if the issue isn't resolved in a specific period of time the letter will run in all the local papers and name the papes you will be sending it to. If no one addresses it for you, send it out to the papers.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Bad service, I can't blame you for avoiding them from here on in. Hope you soon find a good dealer nearby that will look after you a lot better.

One thing about the growth of a site like this, we shall become a force to be reckoned with, wih the power of 14k + members now!!

Maybe Honda and some of these lack lustre dealerships might want to sit up and take notice!!!!!
AMEN!!! :X I too have had issues with a particular dealer who was misleading and not particularly helpful regarding a concern with my bike. It was as though they weredoing everything they could to avoid warranty work. I've since taken by business to another Honda dealer who is kind, helpful and at least on the surface appears to appreciate my business.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
A complaint to the Better Business Bureau can also do wonders in consumer complaints.
I agree, I have complained to the Better Business Bureau on two different occasions and got success.

A $600. check from GM and a roof replacement for my house that the sealers refused.

Most of the time if you are right the company will respond in your favor you just got to go over the sealer's head.

The BBB can not force them to do anything but the complaint goes on there record if they don't respond and most companies don't want that.

Go online for information on BBB complaint for application in the state of the sealer.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
That's just plain ridiculous, they get paid to do warranty work so why wouldn't they want the work?
I don't know what goes on south of the border but up here a dealership does not get paid their normal hourly rate to do warranty work - they get a fixed fee that is usually well below the 'shop' rate. Still - no excuse. They are under contract with Honda to do the work. Chase the buggers down and whack 'em.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

ages ago I got crappy warrnty service.... then I got a random call from honda-amercia.... two days later a call from the crappy dealer...

he stillnever got my business again

do you suppose dealers can afford crappy pr in this economy

a side-light.... I had an O-scale locamotive I dropped and broke the trucks, sent it to the manufacture to fix (expecting a bill) they fixed it for free..... will I buy from them again (and I have) YES

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
That's just plain ridiculous, they get paid to do warranty work so why wouldn't they want the work?
I don't know what goes on south of the border but up here a dealership does not get paid their normal hourly rate to do warranty work - they get a fixed fee that is usually well below the 'shop' rate. Still - no excuse. They are under contract with Honda to do the work. Chase the buggers down and whack 'em.
Yes, the shop gets less than customer pay rate for warranty work but some is better than none and the techs get the same rate for warranty as CP.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Personally I wouldn't think of letting a dealer service my bike if I had to force him, by whatever means, to do thewarranty work. You really want someonewith a grudgeworking on your bike? Not me.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

I would fire off a letter to honda ltd and try to get this prick in as much trouble as i could. Then find another dealer to do the work sure would not let him touch my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I found another dealer. In fact, I plan on buying a spoiler and have them install it for me as a gratitude for working with me twice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.