1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
58,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
24,796 Posts
102 RPM doesn't sound like much but when you think about that flywheel making a turn every second it's moving pretty good. I would like to see the starter.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would like to see the starter.
Probably something insignificant like a V12 Diesel Caterpiller engine spinning up this bad boy with the compression released.... >GRIN<

·
Administrator
58,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish they had given us more info, a lot of those big boys are started with Compressed Air.
That is what we used down in Texas where I used to work with horizontal single piston engines with a diameter of about 30 inches. monster flywheels on them, 18-24 feet in diameter IIRC, that was in 1976.

.the pistons moved so slow, you could watch them go in, out, in, out.
top side was running on Natural Gas, the bottom side was compressing that same Natural Gas and pushing it down a long pipeline from Stinnett, TX to Liberal KS, to Greensburg KS to Emporia KS and eventually up to Howell, MI...

Here is a video of a compressor station that looks identical to where I used to work...
my job there was Communications Tech.

·
Administrator
24,796 Posts
Probably something insignificant like a V12 Diesel Caterpiller engine spinning up this bad boy with the compression released.... >GRIN<
I was thinking along those lines. Like the old caterpillars that had a pony engine.

·
1,630 Posts
I would like to see the starter.
The starting system is 30 bar compressed air delivered by a separate common rail .( I wonder how big the air tanks is ).
BTW , this engine doesn't have a camshaft , timing for exhaust valves , ( it is a two-stroke , so no intake valves ) , fuel injectors (3 per cylinder ) and starting system is electronically controlled .

·
Registered
612 Posts
... I was trying to remember what the little one-cyl gas engine on the old Caterpillars was called - "pony" engine... Old-timer's disease, I guess :D

Once it's running, I wouldn't be surprised if they just recharge the compressed air tank with compression from a couple cylinders on this engine. 30 bar - that's a lot (435psi). Big THICK tank.

·
Administrator
24,796 Posts
... I was trying to remember what the little one-cyl gas engine on the old Caterpillars was called - "pony" engine... Old-timer's disease, I guess :D

Once it's running, I wouldn't be surprised if they just recharge the compressed air tank with compression from a couple cylinders on this engine. 30 bar - that's a lot (435psi). Big THICK tank.
Once it's running it probably runs for years without shutting down.

·
Administrator
58,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once it's running it probably runs for years without shutting down.
that's just what I was going to say Dave.
Those horizontal compressor engines that I posted about?
They were never shut down, except once a year or something like that.
They used "Rare Earth" oil filters and eventually that had to be changed out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts