Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sure, put the heavy components higher and the light components lower. Sounds like the $56 they got was $56 too much.

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
I fail to see any advantage to the design and the article doesn't explain anything. I can see why it failed to get any support, if it's not just a joke in the first place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
All of the other obvious "why would you?" things aside, I can't wrap my brain around is how they keep all the engine oil from seeping into the cylinder.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I understand dry sump systems, but you still have to oil the wrist pins and piston skirts. That oil has to go somewhere.

·
Registered
665 Posts
That would just be splash lubed, not pressurized. The piston will tend to throw any excess oil back towards the crank, where it will be sucked up by the scavenge pumps. Much like how it's done on radial aircraft engines, but with all the upper cylinders cut off. :axeman:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Radial engines still smoke like hell on startup from oil seep. That'd never fly :cheesygrin: on a production bike.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Very true. I actually started to write about that drainback issue, but cut it out. Because I would also have to admit my Goldwing does the same when left on the sidestand.:frown2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sucky. Is that common on the 1500s?

·
Registered
741 Posts
More common on the four cylinder 'Wings..... Yet to see an oil puff from my 1500, but it's still low miles (51K)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gotcha. I'm only at 59k myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts