Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Every time I change my oil, I measure it, and check it for antifreeze and gas,looking for a rise inthe oil level. It is a good practice, and can tell if you have a problem, or are about to start to have one.

Too much oil can mean you are either getting gas orantifreeze in your crankcase, and can be a disaster.

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
Every time I change my oil, I measure it, and check it for antifreeze and/or oil. It is a good practice, and can tell if you have a problem, or are about to start to have one.

Too much oil can mean you are either getting gas or oil in your crankcase, and can be a disaster.

Nightrider1
:?:?:? Explain the Oil in the oil and oil in the crankcase:?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Nightwizard,

Good Catch, I did not sleep worth a crap lastnight, and didn't mention the oil level rise if the gas or antifreeze was leaking into the crankcase.:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Thanks. I wil edit it correctly.

Thanks,

David.

nightwizard40 wrote:

Nightrider1 wrote:
Every time I change my oil, I measure it, and check it for antifreeze and/or oil. It is a good practice, and can tell if you have a problem, or are about to start to have one.

Too much oil can mean you are either getting gas or oil in your crankcase, and can be a disaster.

Nightrider1
:?:?:? Explain the Oil in the oil and oil in the crankcase:?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I had fuel get into the engine from a flooded carb on a 250n years ago. The engine locked when I tried to start it and I made the mistake of trying to push start the bike and ended up with a bent conroe...

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

Just looking at levels isn`t going to help much , where it all depends on how much you put in or take out.You can go here http://www.testoil.com/ find out really what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Oil analysis is a wonderful tool.I worked for years for a trucking company that did this on regular schedules-they knew B4 a problem arose and what the problem was-major repairs were reduced greatly.longevity was increased.Interestingly enough they had data on trucke that ran a hilly curvy route compared to those that regularly ran a fast Interstate route-showed them what different wear to expect form different usage.What part _cam-bearings rings -pistone etc were failing.Highly reccomended if you are keeping an engine for the long run.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I am having the similar problem on my bike. Gasoline was coming into the oil because of bad float valves. The oil level would raise quite a bit and after a few weeks of not running the engine the level would drop back down (gasoline evaporation). First I thought the coolant in the oil but when I drained the oil I saw it was the gasoline. Luckly I haden't ride the bike much like this (less then 50 miles) so I hope nothing is damaged so far and I'm not gonna start the engine again before repairing the carbs and changing the oil & filter.

It is easy to determine if the oil is contamined either with fuel or coolant. If it is coolant then the oil will be apparently creamy/milky and brown coloured. If it is gasoline (as in my case), then the oil will smell like it and will be diluted. Or, in the worst case, you could have both.

Alex

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

I drag race motorcycles and I change the oil after so many runs. I don't measure, but I do filter and inspect what I change.A habit thatIstarted doing on my non race bikes and cars.

I use a PPG paint strainer and funnel. You can get the strainer at any auto paint store. Just pour the oil through the strainer and into your waste oil container. Don't worry if you find some flakes of aluminum. That is normal wear. Look for hard pieces that you can feel between your fingers. This can indicate a potential problem before it happens. I also smell for raw fuel smell and inspect for other things that shouldn't be in there.

I also cutthe oil filter open and check what gets trapped sometimes. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

An oil annalysis will show many things-antifreez before you will see foaming-gasoline less then you can smell-metal by where it comes from whether it be a camshaft a piston-a wrist pin vs a rod bearing etc.

The importatt thing is early detection by finding "trace quantities".

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Consider turning the petcock off when you stop the engine during parking and long term storage; that should help keep the gas out of the oil.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Consider turning the petcock off when you stop the engine during parking and long term storage; that should help keep the gas out of the oil.
:waving:I have always shut mine off ever sine I've had my'83 which is almost 26 years.But how is the fuel going to keep flowingif the fuel pump only pumps fuel to the carbs when the engine is running?

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
sandcastcb750 wrote:
:waving:I have always shut mine off ever sine I've had my'83 which is almost 26 years.But how is the fuel going to keep flowingif the fuel pump only pumps fuel to the carbs when the engine is running?
If the fuel level is above the carbs it will gravity feed.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I changed my oil and got thge correct ammount out of the bike but 2 minutes later more poured out.

I forgot to replace the oil nut LOL

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I do that every time I turn off my engine. It's a good practice.

nightrider1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.