Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i still dont know --what it would cost to replace the air bag---anyone know ???????????????????

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I don't know either, but I'll tell you, there is a cooler one on the Tube that shows 2 wings, top and bottom, with and without airbags slamming into the side of a minivan simultaneously.

I thought airbags on motorcycles were the epitome of silliness until I saw that video.

Mike

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I remember that video. I thought the same way as you md. When I buy an 1800, I will definetely consider one with air bags

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDjMfrllxhI

Here's the video with and without airbags, side by side.

I really didn't see much improvement with the airbag. The rider's head hit the door jam directly and bent it pretty good. A helmet hitting head on direct at 50mph? I'd have to wonder if he would have survived.

I think air bags on the goldwing are just hype.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

The video that I saw shows the rider being held more upright, in fact, he seems to rise up vertically instead of heading forward at the time of impact. It also didn't show the effects on two riders in a frontal collision. I'd say that it would work, but my question is how many impacts on a motorcycle are frontal? What are your chances of a side or even rear end collision where the airbag wouldn't help? It is a very expensive option. 24,599. That is big truck or large car territory now.

I'd say that having the airbag is more of a philosophical argument.

Would someone who is willing to ride a motorcycle in the first place and take the associated risks with doing that really care that much about having an airbag?

Daveo

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Daveo wrote:
I'd say that it would work, but my question is how many impacts on a motorcycle are frontal?
Statistically, the number one collision motorcycles are in, are someone turning in front of them, which result in a frontal collision for the motorcycle. One of the reasons headlight modulators are so effective.

John

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I did see where the guy's bean hit the edge of the roof, however if you notice in the non-airbag picture, the guy's head snaps back to where he's almost wearing his @$$ for a hat...he's dead or paralyzed for sure.

In the airbag half, you see the front of the helmet touch the edge of the roof of the van, however, the guy's body is kept upright instead of assuming the missile position, and his head isn't snapped back violently.

He may have a concussion, and one heck of a headache, but I think he's got a slightly better chance of living through it, and walking again someday.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Mike,

You make a good point, but in next few frames in the video, there is a really big "head shaped" dent in the door frame.... That's a lot of force.

In both cases, the rider still hit the car, and in both cases the rider hit the car at the same time, so it didn't look like it slowed the rider down very much. But it did reposition the rider and caused him to be ejected more upward instead of forward. Of course my observations are not scientific, and I don't have the advantages of seeing the sensors the results on the crash test dummy afterward.

Nothing can save everybody. Maybe it will make a difference in some cases. I would like to think so.

I just wonder if it would make enough difference that it's a real safety item and not just hyped up marketing ploy. I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

You know Wolfman, you could be correct. Who knows? Maybe it is just an expensive way to leave behind a pretty corpse?

I would like to see the telemetry data on the crash testing though

I'm sure, just like with helmets though, the averages on help vs. harm are right around the 50% mark as well.

Mike

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I'll wait for the force field option! Resistance is futile, get out and ride!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.